Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[DONE] Major feature: Ability to throw items

Here you can see some of our planned features for Superfighters Deluxe.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

[DONE] Major feature: Ability to throw items

Post by Gurt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Major feature: The ability to throw items.

Any thrown item would hit players and potentially damage them. Being hit in the air will knock you down. This is preparation for throwable weapons (throwing knives/shurikens, etc...).

- To throw an item you need to enter a throwing mode by tapping G (by default).
- Your item will then be placed in your other hand as a visual cue.
- In this mode you use attack to throw your current item or manual aim to throw at an angle. Same controls like throwing a grenade or molotov.
- Certain items will be locked to this mode (like grenades/molotovs/throwing weapons).
- You can still drop items by holding G (by default).
- Throwing any melee weapon will damage players on impact and stun/stagger them (or knock them down in the air).
- Molovots will not affect players when hit as they break on impact (although you are set on fire).

Edit:
Throwing was introduced in the Pre-Alpha 1.10.0 update.
3 x
Gurt

Blast
Fighter
Fighter
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.3.1

Post by Blast » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Hope people won't abuse it in a way or two.
0 x
An eye for an eye doesn't leave the whole world blind.

Armadyl5
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: 1.2.1

Post by Armadyl5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:50 pm

AWESOME feature , adds realistic feeling to the game .
0 x
Never Surrender !

Always Fight For Your Rights , and Don't Let Your Friends Down .

dudely-kay
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Me, myself and I
Started SFD: 1.8.4
Post by dudely-kay » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:19 pm

I really like it, it will be awesome to throw cue stick like spears :D
1 x

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:01 am

Something I'm curious about, If you throw a item will you be able to pick it up right away, will it lose durability after being thrown, and if so will it be a significant amount?
This is under the assumption we'll be able to throw melee weapons such as the katana. Another thing I'm curious about will the thrown item do damage to the thrower, do we need to time the catch, will we be able to juggle thrown weapons? not actual juggling I mean picking up the thrown(mid-air maybe) weapon then using it in a combo.
0 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

kazy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Brawler
SFD Account: kazy
SFD Alias: kazy
Started SFD: December 2012

Post by kazy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:56 am

Would be cool if we could pick up boxes or bottles and throw them at other players.[/size]
0 x
Gurt wrote:I think I have always seen someone comment about how bad each and every update is. :D

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:16 pm

[Failman] wrote:Something I'm curious about, If you throw a item will you be able to pick it up right away, will it lose durability after being thrown, and if so will it be a significant amount?
This is under the assumption we'll be able to throw melee weapons such as the katana. Another thing I'm curious about will the thrown item do damage to the thrower, do we need to time the catch, will we be able to juggle thrown weapons? not actual juggling I mean picking up the thrown(mid-air maybe) weapon then using it in a combo.
The weapon will probably lose the same amount of durability as if you had swung it and hit someone. Ranged weapons will also be throwable, so we'll propably give them proper health values too (right now they can only be crushed by elevators and such, but are otherwise indestructible).

Any object in the "small objects layer" (the kind that doesn't collider with players such as weapons and debris) will be able to hit a player if it's moving fast enough. So debris flung from an explosion will act as a projectile while it's still moving fast, just like a thrown weapon will. It will hit you sort of like a punch, stunning and possibly disarming you. We'll see about being able to catch weapons in mid-air, there might be technical problems with that. But it would be cool.
kazy wrote:Would be cool if we could pick up boxes or bottles and throw them at other players.
Bottles, yes, because they already count as makeshift weapons. Throwing larger objects like crates would be a very complex feature, and we've decided not to go that way.
0 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Which is a shame, because it would add a great deal of tactical depth to the game.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Hjarpe wrote:Any object in the "small objects layer" (the kind that doesn't collider with players such as weapons and debris) will be able to hit a player if it's moving fast enough. So debris flung from an explosion will act as a projectile while it's still moving fast
Guess we gotta...
watch out for splinters 8-)
:lol:

But what kind of weapons will we be able to throw? Pistols too? Instead of adding another key, maybe we could enter throwing mode by pressing the equip key twice (1 by default)
1 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Hjarpe and I have discussed the press equip key twice option. It will not work well with future options to cycle weapons with prev/next buttons (we will probably need that for local coop) and you can accidently hit the same key twice, throwing away your weapon instead of using it.
0 x
Gurt

Wozenbelt
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: MASTER OF MOVEMENT
SFD Alias: (LM) Wozenbelt
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.1

Post by Wozenbelt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Do you guys think it might conserve buttons if the input to enter aiming mode was to hold down the "drop weapon" button? Or would that not be possible with the way inputting commands works?
0 x
i got wozen fever

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:31 am

To give a cinematic look at the game, it would be nice to be able to instantly grab (and equip) a weapon thrown by an ally. This feature could trespass on the normal object drop (G).
Seeing two players fighting multiple enemies on different sides, launching each other the same weapon to fend off the attacking foe. That's what I want to see before I die.
3 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

TheItalianGamer
Meatbag

Post by TheItalianGamer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:47 pm

I think if we add another button to be able to throw MOST things, it will over complicate things and ruin the beautiful simplicity of the game. I think we should only be able to throw a limited amount of things. We should be able to throw these throw able weapons like knives or shurikens, simply by holding down our AIM button and then pressing shoot and they can be equipped in the grenade slot. This could also work with empty guns/ pistols and could stun an opponent or break a crate that would make a chain reaction. Throwing empty guns can be a great addition as it can create some extremely close combat situations exciting. Once the gun is empty just aim with it and pressing shoot can throw it (I still want that satisfying empty magazine *Click* sound when you try to shoot). Just an idea, hope you see it and it helps <3
0 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:34 pm

TheItalianGamer wrote:I think if we add another button to be able to throw MOST things, it will over complicate things and ruin the beautiful simplicity of the game. I think we should only be able to throw a limited amount of things. We should be able to throw these throw able weapons like knives or shurikens, simply by holding down our AIM button and then pressing shoot and they can be equipped in the grenade slot. This could also work with empty guns/ pistols and could stun an opponent or break a crate that would make a chain reaction. Throwing empty guns can be a great addition as it can create some extremely close combat situations exciting. Once the gun is empty just aim with it and pressing shoot can throw it (I still want that satisfying empty magazine *Click* sound when you try to shoot). Just an idea, hope you see it and it helps <3
This would stop a player from throwing his weapon while moving,or while crouching. Other than that,it would make it a slow manuver,pretty useless if the thrown weapon doesnt deal a lot of damage.
The question is,will a thrown,empty weapon (a pistol that finished it's magazine,for example)disappear like a normal empty gun? Or will there be loads of emtpy weapon lying on the ground?
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Jedi75
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Force Fighter
SFD Alias: Jedi75
Started SFD: 1.8.0

Post by Jedi75 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Maybe you can even add "charging" feature. when you want to throw a weapon like granades the longer you will aim the furter you throw, this will be very good for molotovs.
0 x

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Sun May 08, 2016 7:48 pm

No, charging them would be way to annoying, plus there's nothing wrong with the throwing mechanics why fix something that isn't broken?
Also screw simplicity, simplicities don't give us cool juggling maneuver, I wanna be a badass killing machine dammit! :twisted:
0 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

Rhodes
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: I am Rhodes!
SFD Account: Rhodes
SFD Alias: Rhodes
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Rhodes » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:17 am

I have an idea, that when we throw grenades using the throwing mode, they will explode on impact, like you took out the pin and it explodes on hitting anything. And I don't know if this has been suggested before, but how about an only throwable weapon, 'The Boomerang?'
0 x
IF YOU PLAY SFD I'M COMING AFTER YOU!!

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:21 am

That would be too op
How about that you can catch cocked nades with your hand and throw them back?
3 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

AnimalWithin
Meatbag
SFD Account: AnimalWithin
SFD Alias: Animal

Post by AnimalWithin » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:49 pm

I came along to ask this, what happens if my enemy throws an active grenade at me and i block it? what do i get? a coocking grenade on my hand waiting to explode? or a instant catch-and-throw-back-at-the-enemy's-face reaction?
0 x