Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

players can shoot themselves if moving in front of their own projectiles

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Zyfex
SFD Q.A. Tester
SFD Q.A. Tester
Title: point collectin'
SFD Alias: Khnight
Started SFD: forever

players can shoot themselves if moving in front of their own projectiles

Post by Zyfex » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:43 pm

https://youtu.be/TW1Ww6Qm1mE

bug (shooting yourself sfd style): if the player shoots while on the train, they will shoot themselves. doesn't require slomo unless you're using a gun that creates bullets
0 x
but in reality

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:05 am

Don't think this is a bug as much as it is something to watch out for. Don't get me wrong, it isn't right, but it isn't a bug.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

EleventhSymbol
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Pixel Arts and Bullets
SFD Alias: SJTLIII
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.3.1
Post by EleventhSymbol » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 pm

If this is a bug, at least it's a cool one.
0 x
Save the whales.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:59 pm

This is a pretty extreme case. Projectiles do not add up the player's velocity when fired so they will always have a "fixed" speed. This is by design. So if you shoot from the train you actually catch up with the projectile. One fix would be that players can't get hit if they travel faster than the projectiles :D
0 x
Gurt

Wozenbelt
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: MASTER OF MOVEMENT
SFD Alias: (LM) Wozenbelt
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.1.1

Post by Wozenbelt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:38 pm

Did you design it to be so that bullets show up behind you when you shoot? Because that happens as well. You shoot the gun, and the bullets fire behind you and hit you.
0 x
i got wozen fever

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Projectiles will always spawn at the weapon's muzzle on the server. Your movement however is slightly ahead of the server (visually) and when the projectile actually spawns on your screen it's where the server thinks you are. So if you "outmove" the delay it might look like the projectiles spawn inside you or behind you.
As I said - This is a pretty extreme case with this subway train as you move faster than the projectiles and therefor "catch up" to the projectile (on the server) and get hit by it.
0 x
Gurt

Wozenbelt
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Wozenbelt » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:14 am

Gurt wrote:Projectiles will always spawn at the weapon's muzzle on the server. Your movement however is slightly ahead of the server (visually) and when the projectile actually spawns on your screen it's where the server thinks you are. So if you "outmove" the delay it might look like the projectiles spawn inside you or behind you.
As I said - This is a pretty extreme case with this subway train as you move faster than the projectiles and therefor "catch up" to the projectile (on the server) and get hit by it.
This happens offline, too. Is there some hidden delay between me and my server? I know my position on the screen isn't 100% accurate, but is it at least 90% accurate?
0 x
i got wozen fever

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Your movement will be slightly ahead of the server based on your ping + how long time it takes for the server to process the input. Make sure the computer hosting the server have a performance rating of "Excellent" and that the connection is stable (no network jitter) and you don't shoot yourself in your back by just moving around on solid ground.
0 x
Gurt

Wozenbelt
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Wozenbelt » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:33 pm

I don't shoot myself on static ground, and I'm offline when I shoot myself. I'm guessing that, with 1 ping, the server updates fast enough for my muzzle to be in an accurate position. As Zyfex stated in the original post, you need to be in slomo for bullets to appear behind you, as well.

Here's some more video evidence for you (the video quality isn't very great):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSreWd608kQ&feature=youtu.be

I hope this is enough explanation for the bug to be verified or at least explained to its completion.
0 x
i got wozen fever

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:46 pm

holy shit that's fucking beautiful
please fix soon
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:32 am

Wozenbelt wrote:Did you design it to be so that bullets show up behind you when you shoot? Because that happens as well. You shoot the gun, and the bullets fire behind you and hit you.
Thanks for clarifying with a video. Wasn't obviously at all that you tried it with a slowmo on the train based on your comment. To answer your question: No - of course not.

To quote myself:
Gurt wrote:This is a pretty extreme case. Projectiles do not add up the player's velocity when fired so they will always have a "fixed" speed. This is by design. So if you shoot from the train you actually catch up with the projectile. One fix would be that players can't get hit if they travel faster than the projectiles
The reason though that the bullets shows up behind during slowmo is because bullets are slowed down way more than players. All projectiles also have to travel a minimum distance (or being reflected by melee) before they can hit the player that fired the projectile. So during the slowmo you outmove the bullets. The bullets are still fired in front of you but you travel soooooo muuuuuch faaaaaaster than the projectiles during slowmo so you outrun them before the projectile's minimum distance is covered.

If you watch your video carefully you can actually see the muzzle-flash being in front of you. The muzzle-flash is where the projectile spawn (the muzzle-flash covers the projectile so you can't see the projectile until the muzzle-flash is gone).
0 x
Gurt