Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Pre-alpha 1.10.2 is out!

Status updates from MythoLogic Interactive about the game progress.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Pre-alpha 1.10.2 is out!

Post by Hjarpe » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:18 pm

This One's Gonna Take Some Getting Used To!

-When you pick up a weapon, your current weapon in that slot will no longer be destroyed. Instead you will drop it and it can be picked up again.
-You can now dive/roll to dodge flying debris (but not objects that were thrown or kicked by a player)
-You now regenerate energy more slowly while shooting with or aiming a weapon.
-Decreased the speed items get when you drop them.
-Fixed a bug removing a ban from the "Active Kicks/Bans" tab would remove all but one entries in the ban list.
-Fixed a bug in the server chat log causing the same team message to appear multiple times.
-Tweaked some characters in the victory text font.
-Other tweaks and fixes.

Script API
-Fixed game crashes caused by incorrect use of the Events.UpdateCallback and Events.PlayerDeathCallback events.

EDIT: Superfighters Deluxe Pre-alpha 1.10.2b is out!
-Fixed a bug where picking up a makeshift weapon would replace your primary melee weapon.
-Fixed some throwing-related bugs.
4 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Corporal Adrian Shephard
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Cpl Adrian Shephard

Post by Corporal Adrian Shephard » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Nice update but there is a bug. If i have, lets say a baton, and if i pick chair from ground, my character drops the baton.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Corporal Adrian Shephard wrote:Nice update but there is a bug. If i have, lets say a baton, and if i pick chair from ground, my character drops the baton.
Yeah - we noticed. Might hotfix it or release a smaller update tomorrow. Depends on how much work it takes to fix.
0 x
Gurt

DippyDaDewott
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Just a guy who loves SFD.
SFD Account: RealDippyDaDewott
SFD Alias: (SPZ)DippyDaDewott
Started SFD: 1.1.2 Around september 2012
Post by DippyDaDewott » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Nice update, i can finally dodge debris :D
0 x
"I've never saw a greater example of horse shit then real fucking horse shit."

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:19 am

Thx for update , and good luck to the game ;3
0 x
Just me The Predator!

Raptor
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Pro
Started SFD: 0.0.0 I'm SFD
Location: In the secret base of the SFD masters who snipe people's heads off

Post by Raptor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 am

Nice update gonna go down load it now
0 x
im back guys!!!!!!

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:53 am

Can't deny weapons any more? This isn't just going to take getting used to, this is going to be really rough. Denying weapons was a huge tactical decision because it pretty much locked in the denier with whatever weapon they picked up last, so they couldn't hoard SMG vs Shotgun in one place. This basically means that players will have a harder time stopping others from picking up guns or weapons. I don't want to drop someone my axe for this katana I found when someone is in my face with fists.

I feel like this was a serious step back. Less tactical depth. If we could throw big guns further away to deny them I'd understand, if we could swap to throw mode straight out of equipping the gun to skip the draw animation I'd understand, but long draw time + short throw distance makes it too difficult to deny a weapon without being next to a pit.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:47 am

Lunatic wrote:Can't deny weapons any more? This isn't just going to take getting used to, this is going to be really rough. Denying weapons was a huge tactical decision because it pretty much locked in the denier with whatever weapon they picked up last, so they couldn't hoard SMG vs Shotgun in one place. This basically means that players will have a harder time stopping others from picking up guns or weapons. I don't want to drop someone my axe for this katana I found when someone is in my face with fists.

I feel like this was a serious step back. Less tactical depth. If we could throw big guns further away to deny them I'd understand, if we could swap to throw mode straight out of equipping the gun to skip the draw animation I'd understand, but long draw time + short throw distance makes it too difficult to deny a weapon without being next to a pit.
Less tactical depth? Not being able to shove weapons into the void to deny them is actually a step backwards?

Empty the clip to force it to despawn. Deliberately damage it to prevent anyone getting real use out of it/break it outright. Throw it in an out-of-the-way place to make it more annoying to pick up. Weapon hoarding was still very much possible beforehand considering all you had to do was pick up one weapon and toss it in a corner before picking up the other, so that whole 'couldn't hoard weapon in one place' is bogus.

You shouldn't be able to outright deny your opponent a weapon by making it magically vanish, you should have to actually do something past picking it up and picking up something else if you want to put people at a disadvantage. If anything, this INCREASES the 'tactical depth', as you put it.
0 x
hello yes

Raptor
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Pro
Started SFD: 0.0.0 I'm SFD
Location: In the secret base of the SFD masters who snipe people's heads off

Post by Raptor » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:59 am

I agree with mmm . Now instead of shooting 2 wepons , dropping one (which takes a while(have to hold down key) ) it automatically drops the weapon . I think Thai update made it easier not harder to use guns adding to the trowing update because u have to hold down r (default) to drop the weapon . But now u can just pick up a weapon from the same slot
0 x
im back guys!!!!!!

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:56 am

M_M_M wrote:
Less tactical depth? Not being able to shove weapons into the void to deny them is actually a step backwards?

Empty the clip to force it to despawn. Deliberately damage it to prevent anyone getting real use out of it/break it outright. Throw it in an out-of-the-way place to make it more annoying to pick up. Weapon hoarding was still very much possible beforehand considering all you had to do was pick up one weapon and toss it in a corner before picking up the other, so that whole 'couldn't hoard weapon in one place' is bogus.

You shouldn't be able to outright deny your opponent a weapon by making it magically vanish, you should have to actually do something past picking it up and picking up something else if you want to put people at a disadvantage. If anything, this INCREASES the 'tactical depth', as you put it.
The amount of time it takes to waste off ammo or break a weapon is actually rather severe. If someone is charging your position they'll be able to reach you quickly enough to gear up.

I suppose the biggest problem I have is "What's wrong with weapon denial?" I still feel like this was a very key part of map control and area of denial. Having a good gun vs someone with only melee allowed you to walk more freely and claim more space, giving you more weapon drops in the process. They could rush you but unless they have perfect timing and you have awful aim and patience they're going to eat some serious damage before getting to you, which is a big edge towards why guns are good, and rightfully so. Getting your weapons early and using them to control the pace of the game was the benefit you deserve for reaching the gun drops first. Opening a crate and not being able to deny the weapon means that if they charge and you haven't spent the time to waste every single bullet then they can get armed and start challenging your space.

Dropping my AR for this shotgun seems fine and dandy as I'm approached until Johnny gets away with half health and guns me down with it later.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:31 pm

Maybe there could be a way to make the current weapon useless. Unloading a gun,breaking a melee weapon,for example.
Maybe this would be affected by the current weapon health (Or the current bullets inside a shotgun,for example).
This would of course take a while,and should be done only when you're sure you got enough time.

Plus,when disarming and unloading the gun of an enemy,you would look totally badass.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 pm

I did not like this update, I did not like the decision of automatic drop. After something was placed, it is hardly removed, so I am very sad for that have been added to the game.

If I wanted to drop an item, I could do manually without difficulty before and there was no need to speed drop that item, that way I could get the two items in the order I wanted, removing a one. There was never need to drop items fast to be able to pick up others. Release the item I have to get another can hurt me a lot.

Keep the weapon denial :/
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:58 pm

DeadlyPawn wrote:I did not like this update, I did not like the decision of automatic drop. After something was placed, it is hardly removed, so I am very sad for that have been added to the game.

If I wanted to drop an item, I could do manually without difficulty before and there was no need to speed drop that item, that way I could get the two items in the order I wanted, removing a one. There was never need to drop items fast to be able to pick up others. Release the item I have to get another can hurt me a lot.

Keep the weapon denial :/
Is the law sense , how you have two weapons , if you take the "A" and take "B" , WHERE IS THE "A"???
0 x
Just me The Predator!

Scarface
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Scarface » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:15 pm

Great update! I'll have to get used to automatic drop though. I am happy that people no longer can abuse the technique of ''eating'' every weapon crate you get. Great job. :)
0 x
Decisions, decisions.

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Lunatic wrote: The amount of time it takes to waste off ammo or break a weapon is actually rather severe. If someone is charging your position they'll be able to reach you quickly enough to gear up.

I suppose the biggest problem I have is "What's wrong with weapon denial?" I still feel like this was a very key part of map control and area of denial. Having a good gun vs someone with only melee allowed you to walk more freely and claim more space, giving you more weapon drops in the process. They could rush you but unless they have perfect timing and you have awful aim and patience they're going to eat some serious damage before getting to you, which is a big edge towards why guns are good, and rightfully so. Getting your weapons early and using them to control the pace of the game was the benefit you deserve for reaching the gun drops first. Opening a crate and not being able to deny the weapon means that if they charge and you haven't spent the time to waste every single bullet then they can get armed and start challenging your space.

Dropping my AR for this shotgun seems fine and dandy as I'm approached until Johnny gets away with half health and guns me down with it later.
If you're wasting weapons while someone is charging you then you're doing something wrong.

Weapon denial wasn't even removed and the fact you're acting like it was is dumb. This update fixed an issue with the cheesy strat of making weapons magically vanish by picking it up. I can't in any sense see how people can't see this as a logical result to switching out weapons (you pick up A for B, B is now unequipped and put down!), and the only reason I could think of why they'd dislike the change is because it changes said cheesy strat they used.

Until I can see logical reasoning for fighters eating every excess weapon they have when they pick up another one I'm just gonna see the negative outcry as "I'm upset because this removes an illogical and unfair strategy I used".
1 x
hello yes

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:33 pm

-Fixed a bug where picking up a makeshift weapon would replace your primary melee weapon.
-Fixed some throwing-related bugs.
0 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 pm

I strongly dislike this new drop update. While I agree it's illogical for weapons to disappear into the void after being replaced, the whole ceremony around dropping and picking up new weapons feels very tedious and irritating to go through. We moved from a very simple, fast way of denying our enemy of weapons, to a way that requires we either stay stationary in order to "defend" the dropped item, losing the momentum/fast(er) pace of combat, or give the advantage of having a weapon in the first place up for a more "fair" fight against our opponent (basically retreat and let them have it for very little cost). Since when did SFD try to become fair? I thought getting to a supply crate before your foe was the reward for being agile enough or simply being lucky; RNG deciding your odds, the very essence of SFD. Getting a weapon early was your ticket to success, assuming your opponent hasn't managed to outsmart you. Wasn't that why the supply crate system was introduced to begin with? It felt like there was a degree of decision-making involved in engaging enemies close to supply crates - "sure he might have a bad weapon out and ready to swing right now, but what if he gets something much better out of this other crate? I'd be severely hurt and left empty-handed, so I might want to wait up a little bit before I get closer".

THIS, on the other hand, feels nothing like it. Not after your opponent grabs their first gun. You can simply charge at them, knowing full well you WILL get a weapon out of this, regardless of what happens; you either disarm them and pick what they dropped up, or grab whatever was lying on the ground that they were replacing. Either way, the inability to replace a weapon quickly and reliably equalizes the terms on which the players play the game and defeats the purpose of getting a hold of a weapon before anybody else does, something I feel was very unique and very essential to SFD's gameplay.

I want to put an emphasis on the word "quickly" from that last sentence. I already mentioned the current methods of "getting rid" of a weapon are very frustrating to me. The ideal situation the devs imagined was a fighter finding a good weapon, throwing the other one somewhere another fighter couldn't reach, then using the new drop as their new weapon replacement. Sounds good in theory, but in reality most (official) maps simply do not have that kind of build, or do not allow you to execute such a plan in most CQC scenarios; you are never able to throw ANY good weapon far enough, for the most part, and straight up will not find a place where the opponent won't be able to go. You are better off just giving the other weapon away, rather than trying to micromanage the current weapon equipment system and losing valuable time, time that could very well save your life if you use it correctly.

The other method is wasting ammo - which is fun, right? Because shooting stuff and things. Yeah, well, it isn't. Especially when you know these shots could have a big impact on a game (assuming your opponent isn't geared well enough already) if you don't take them. But you see, most of the time people won't just stay in line-of-sight and wait for you to put holes in them, they'll run away. You are then given a choice - shoot the walls/cover to waste ammo in your currently equipped weapon, or straight up give it away. You give it away because diving onto players or running past them is very viable, and looping most official maps isn't too hard either. That weapon isn't going to despawn any time soon, so you might as well either stick to the ammo-wasting ride or accept the fact you've just given your opponent a good gun with a bit less ammo still in it that could still score your opponent a kill. I hate the thought of standing there and shooting 30 rounds into the sky, so that my opponent doesn't get to shoot those 30 rounds into me. You're immobile, you're not making any progress, you're giving your opponent a chance to look for more crates and possibly overwhelm you with new equipment he finds along the way. This ruins the flow of the game for me, and I dislike having to manage yet ANOTHER thing, trying to be as careful as possible when I choose my weapon arsenal.

I think it all just comes down to resource management. We went from "alright, I got this melee weapon so I can get close and swing to success", to "I gotta think whether I can engage or not here, since my melee weapon is half-broken", to "well I could engage in melee, but I could also throw the weapon, deal damage, disarm, but also stay defenseless in case he brings another gun out", to the most recent "I could engage in melee, or I could throw this weapon and just go at him, or I could replace the weapon, throw it, then take the other one, then fight the enemy who just picked my dropped weapon up with this new weapon" step. Don't get me wrong, options are great, but this is giving SFD a degree of complexity I don't think it should have had in the first place. You'd think the flow of events would be simple - pick up a gun, shoot opponent, replace gun, shoot some more until they find a gun of their own, run from shooting opponent, find a gun to counter theirs etc etc. I know what it felt like before the change, and I had no complaints about that particular system whatsoever. Now we have THIS, more things to take into consideration, no reason to just go for that weapon crate first, piggybacking off your opponent's gear and an abundance of weapons all ready at your disposal. I mean, god, I've had a storage match where there were 3 knives lying around the map, simultaneously, IN ADDITION to the melee weapons the other players already had. They had nowhere to go, and you could no longer replace them by "eating" them, so they were just lying around and players used them until they got bored and found other weaponry to use. I don't like the idea of constantly having something lying on the floor ready to be picked up by anybody - a very common thing in "closed" maps like Alley or Storage.

I'm not sure how to express my feelings about this new mechanic. There's a sudden spike in weapon availability, and not a huge degree of decision-making involving the findings of new weapons and replacing old ones with them. You're forced into this situation where you gotta decide whether you wanna give your opponent an edge by handing them your old weapon, or losing HUGE momentum by denying them of it. Perhaps there was no real risk in the old gun-replacement system, which is what made it so appealing to me; "well, it sucks that I've got these two good weapons and I gotta choose between one, but if I'm not getting it nobody else will either". This new method is different, though, and I find it extremely hard to get used to. I don't know if I will. I've adapted and accepted the throwing mechanic as a part my playstyle VERY easily; it's fun, it's funny, it's useful without being too intrusive, it doesn't feel like it impedes combat in any real way really. This right here, on the other hand, is everything BUT all of these. It's slow, it's not fun in the slightest, it forces you into unpleasant situations, and most importantly, it feels like this isn't SFD anymore. It slows both ranged and melee combat down IMMENSELY, very much so.

It just doesn't really fit.
2 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:28 am

We were well aware that some meta play would change. We even named the update "This One's Gonna Take Some Getting Used To!" to illustrate this :)
KliPeH wrote:The ideal situation the devs imagined was a fighter finding a good weapon, throwing the other one somewhere another fighter couldn't reach, then using the new drop as their new weapon replacement.
No, not how we imagined it. The BEST option for you to deny a weapon (if you want really to deny it) is to throw it to a more hard-to-reach place whether it's behind you, up on some ledge or down through a hole is up to you as it's situational and depends on the weapon and map. Pistols are thrown much further than heavy guns like the m60 or bazooka for example.
The supply crate system was introduced to avoid camping at certain spots near weapon spawns. In short we noticed that games would start by players hugging all the weapon spawn places and wait to get lucky to outgun their opponent before engaging in combat.

We never intended the game to be a chore to deny your opponent items (that's not how we want it to be played). While this was a valid stratergy before (and easy to execute) it will now be discarded in favor for replacing items instead. Do you want to replace weapon A you are currently holding with weapon B on the ground? Which benefits you the most? Which benefits the enemy more?

If you're holding a pipe wrench and a katana drops from a weapon crate you might want to fight about it and grab it even if it means that your pipe wrench will be picked up by someone else.

With this new system it should be much easier to find weapons laying around to be used and use it until it's wasted and grab another one which will speed up the game. Don't forget to keep throwing things you don't need at your enemies to disarm them or hurt them.
0 x
Gurt

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
Post by mgtr14 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:21 am

I really like the new drop system, but i do see some problems.

First, i love it, it fixed the unfair balance between weapon availability. I have always ended up with just a pipe wrench simply because the opponent knows how to erase weapons from existance and that i wasn't very lucky. This leads to the person with a pipe wrench to always run away since he doesn't stand a chance against the fully geared opponent that erased a Revolver, Flamethrower and Molotovs. The player with a pipe wrench would keep running and hide between everything and block incoming shots. In the end nobody wins because of sudden death.

Now with more weapons for everybody, i won't ALWAYS end up with just a pipe wrench, i will actually have guns to use against my other armed opponent. I will actually try to kill him instead of running away, so this SHOULD lead to less " Running on timer " and instead end up with situations where skill in gunning, and possibly melee and throwing will take the win.

This is what i wanted, a fair chance for everyone to get a gun and have some fun, while making less people run on timer simply because their guns and throwables were just erased like that.

As for weapon denial;
You throw it into death-zone and it's gone, if you can't throw it into some sort of death-zone, you throw it behind and keep your opponent from running past you, if he tries to dive, you walk back a bit from where he should land and punch/kick, or just shoot him after he is done rolling.

If you can't do that, then you could try just mag dumping into spots where it could potentionally deal damage to anyone, before you throw an empty gun at them. I don't really see how this is that bad, take some cover when you're doing it.

And if you can't do any of that, i would just stand on the dropped weapon and have my fists out, or take the better gun and punish your opponent in any way for taking your dropped gun, or keep picking up the weapons and shooting your opponent with it.

In reality, Mag dumping and throwing the guns into death-zones WILL work, i have mag dumped before when i could just erase the gun and dealt alot of damage before i even picked up the new gun. But if you can't deny your opponent of a weapon, they can just dive in and keep running. Wich is the problem with it, it just sucks to give your opponent a gun.I can see people using their guns for bigger risks and shooting around them a bit more to reduce the ammunition for whoever picks up their gun after they drop it, but thats about it, and even then: I probably wouldn't waste my ammo on longshots because i may not get another gun.

EDIT: I just remembered, if you don't have much time to mag dump for whatever reason then you can just shoot once and then reload to erase 1 mag/clip, if it doesn't have any then you shoot as much as you can before you are forced to give up your weapon.
If it's a shotgun, then just damage your opponents cover in all ways.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!