Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[GUIDE] Taking custom thumbnail image of your map

Share questions and tutorials related to the map editor. Share you maps in the Superfighters Deluxe Custom Maps section.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

[GUIDE] Taking custom thumbnail image of your map

Post by Gurt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:27 pm

A new feature is thumbnail images that will be shown when installing and selecting maps in SFD.

The thumbnail must be 360x180 (or 720x360) in resolution. You can find the property to select the thumbnail image among the map properties, next to the map name.

We have captured all thumbnail images directly through the map editor for our official maps. This is the process we used:
1: First we changed the test options to disable spawning (F6):
► Show Spoiler
2: Then start your map (F5).

3: While in the map enable the debug camera and thumbnail view finder (F7).
► Show Spoiler
4: Now you can zoom using the scroll wheel and fine-adjust your zoom by holding shift while scrolling. Move your camera around until you find the thumbnail you want. The white rectangle represent the thumbnail image area.
► Show Spoiler
5: Then you press PrintScreen.
6: To open the folder for your newly captured thumbnail press Ctrl+PrintScreen.
7: Go back to edit your map and edit the thumbnail property for your map and select your new thumbnail. Done!
8 x
Gurt

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Shouldn’t the editor just do it manually? Couldn’t their be a feature where you can click “take a thumbnail” and it loads the map no problem? Frankly, I’m not proficient in map making or coding and all that stuff so I’m not sure how much of a triumph it would be to add in, however I’m referring to a game like “Super Smash Bros” on the Wii that just automatically made your thumbnail for you, or similar to a YouTube video that creates the thumbnail for you. Just a thought.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:14 pm

RickAvory wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:11 pm
Shouldn’t the editor just do it manually? Couldn’t their be a feature where you can click “take a thumbnail” and it loads the map no problem? Frankly, I’m not proficient in map making or coding and all that stuff so I’m not sure how much of a triumph it would be to add in, however I’m referring to a game like “Super Smash Bros” on the Wii that just automatically made your thumbnail for you, or similar to a YouTube video that creates the thumbnail for you. Just a thought.
But with that you can even make your own thumbnail with some external tool, meaning that you can also decide not to display a map portion (even if not recommended) and create custom art for it, even Youtube lets you decide whether upload a custom thumbnail or leave a frame of your video as thumbnail.
3 x