Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Basic Suggestion About Auto Kick for High Ping

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Corporal Adrian Shephard
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Cpl Adrian Shephard

Basic Suggestion About Auto Kick for High Ping

Post by Corporal Adrian Shephard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:01 pm

First of all i dont know if this is suggested before but i am active on forum and didn't see a topic like this one. As all of you know ,some of us does not have stable ping, which happens for a lot of different reasons for example mine happens because i use wi-fi instead of ethernet which is not stable. The problem is lets say 200 ping is limit for the server that when my ping goes up to 300 and my ping gets stable in 3-8 seconds but the server immediately kicks me. And i have to wait in server browser and try to login again and again. What i want is that the time for kick on auto kick for high ping should be longer. So that my ping can get below the limit before i get kicked. Hope that i could explain it.
2 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 pm

I'd like to see this as an option, not a replacement for the automatic method. I'm certain some hosts would still want the game to kick people out as soon as their ping spikes so it doesn't affect their game badly. I personally believe if your ping manages to spike above the limit, say above 350, it wasn't good to begin with and so it's not too great of a loss on your side (had to be somewhere around 210 before the kick).
0 x

Corporal Adrian Shephard
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Corporal Adrian Shephard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Thing is that ping spikes is not that common for me. I sometimes can play hours without spikes and sometimes I get kicked in the first round (talking about blurry's server) and without a problem I play with 100 ping. What made me realize that this is a problem, was that a mod "Glitchy" get kicked because of this. And its kinda funny that someone whose objective is to make the server clean and playable got kicked because of the ping spike. So I thought a 5 to 10 seconds timer would be nice.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Corporal Adrian Shephard wrote:[...] What made me realize that this is a problem, was that a mod "Glitchy" get kicked because of this. And its kinda funny that someone whose objective is to make the server clean and playable got kicked because of the ping spike. So I thought a 5 to 10 seconds timer would be nice.
I don't think that's a good reason to introduce the change. It's the owner's fault for assigning moderators who cannot play on the server they're supposed to be in charge of. I'll stand for my opinion, which is having options is better than having no options, and that this shouldn't be the default setting or the only one for that matter.
1 x

Corporal Adrian Shephard
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Corporal Adrian Shephard » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:10 pm

KliPeH wrote: It's the owner's fault for assigning moderators who cannot play on the server they're supposed to be in charge of.
I think, i couldn't explain it clearly. The people that i am talking about does not have any problem with playing in that server. They have good pings like %99 of the time. But ping spike happens because of lot of different stuff and there is no way to tell that its never going to happen. And when it happens they get kicked immediately and when they want to return to server they have to wait 2 minutes and while waiting someone takes the empty slot etc. As i said i have seen actually 2 different moderators in the same server get kicked because of this and they almost all the time have good ping. Which is kinda funny.
And it of course can be an option but i would rather it to be default. Waiting a few seconds wouldn't hurt after all.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:53 pm

The auto kick actually takes samples each 4 seconds by default and a total of 6 samples and calculates an average based on that. If you're way below the max value you only get kicked after 8-12 seconds or so if your ping is high. One spike over 4-6 seconds should be totally fine.
But I have tweaked how the samples are taken (instead of max ping over 4 seconds it's now the average over 4 seconds which contribute to the global average). It's technical but should soften the blow just when the ping is increasing/decreasing allowing spikes to stretch across more samples without affecting the average ping extremely negatively. Also adding an option to control whether or not moderators can be auto kicked by ping.
1 x
Gurt