Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Makeshift weapons out of background items

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
TheBlackshot
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Trigger-Black
SFD Alias: Blackshot
Started SFD: Winter 12/13

Makeshift weapons out of background items

Post by TheBlackshot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:22 pm

"MIND YOUR SURROUNDINGS!
The levels are semi-randomized and contain many objects that can be moved, destroyed, used as cover, set on fire, wielded, thrown, and/or dropped on enemies. Learning to adapt, improvise and use the environment to your advantage is key to survival."
to quote the steam description. Being able to detach and turn background items into makeshift weapons would leave an even stronger impression about the chaotic environment while also rewarding a good eye. I thought of props such as plants, televisions, pipes, even breaking a window and getting a shard with the size of a knife. Once you stand in front of it, see it being selected/detected, hold F to rip it off its place.
Last edited by TheBlackshot on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Blame the game, not the player

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:31 pm

TheBlackshot wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:22 pm
"MIND YOUR SURROUNDINGS!
The levels are semi-randomized and contain many objects that can be moved, destroyed, used as cover, set on fire, wielded, thrown, and/or dropped on enemies. Learning to adapt, improvise and use the environment to your advantage is key to survival."
to quote the steam description. Being able to detach and turn background items into makeshift weapons would leave an even stronger impression on the chaotic environment while also rewarding a good eye. I thought of props such as plants, televisions, pipes, even breaking a window and getting a shard with the size of a knife. Once you stand in front of it, see it being selected/detected, hold F to rip it off its place.
Pretty cool. Maybe even a fire extinguisher or something.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:41 pm

I think that it should just be a little obvious when there is a weapon waiting to be used. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea. Just don't make these as powerful as the current makeshift weapons.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:23 pm

TheBlackshot wrote:
[...] Once you stand in front of it, see it being selected/detected, hold F to rip it off its place.
Definitely a cool idea, although I'm worried people like me will have difficulty picking just the right item up when every piece of BG suddenly becomes selectable as a weapon. I already have trouble choosing the right item from a pile of overlapping objects, picking up the leg of a chair instead of an assault rifle for example, and adding more such items to the pool would make the game way too chaotic - in a bad sense.
1 x

TheBlackshot
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Trigger-Black
SFD Alias: Blackshot
Started SFD: Winter 12/13

Post by TheBlackshot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:23 pm
TheBlackshot wrote:
[...] Once you stand in front of it, see it being selected/detected, hold F to rip it off its place.
Definitely a cool idea, although I'm worried people like me will have difficulty picking just the right item up when every piece of BG suddenly becomes selectable as a weapon. I already have trouble choosing the right item from a pile of overlapping objects, picking up the leg of a chair instead of an assault rifle for example, and adding more such items to the pool would make the game way too chaotic - in a bad sense.
I thought of that too. Perhaps being able to switch selectables per shift or alt while standing still at the spot where the multiple "selectables" are- would be a helpful addition at this point. Though I think we shouldn't even go so far as to mining that many "selectables" (im starting to like that word) at the same spot and time.
0 x
Blame the game, not the player