Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

A small change to blocking thrown weapons.

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
A small change to blocking thrown weapons.

Post by mgtr14 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Right now, blocking a thrown weapon will equip it unless you have a weapon of that category already. For the times you do equip it, you're vulnerable to attacks. This makes both outcomes(Not blocking or Blocking) lead to getting hit anyways, and your block not paying off. My suggestion is to simply make a blocked thrown object drop down infront of you, leaving you free to do any other action thereafter.
2 x
Shut up bitch!!

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:36 pm

mgtr14 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm
Right now, blocking a thrown weapon will equip it unless you have a weapon of that category already. For the times you do equip it, you're vulnerable to attacks. This makes both outcomes(Not blocking or Blocking) lead to getting hit anyways, and your block not paying off. My suggestion is to simply make a blocked thrown object drop down infront of you, leaving you free to do any other action thereafter.
Personally I would advocate for a button... maybe q... that will just drop the weapon in front of you instead. But then again, you instantly equip it. Maybe vice versa pressing a button to equip it instead of dropping it?
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 pm

RickAvory wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:36 pm
Personally I would advocate for a button... maybe q... that will just drop the weapon in front of you instead. But then again, you instantly equip it. Maybe vice versa pressing a button to equip it instead of dropping it?
Maybe pressing F quickly after a block, to grab and equip it.
I've found myself grabbing a weapon I didn't want quite often in tense moments.
This would also add a bit of skill factor to grabbing and using thrown weapons on the go. More wow-factor.

edit: added a U in quite.
2 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Yes, the equiping animation is a seriously annoying problem.
I don't recall this being a problem in the beta 1.02c however, has there been any changes in the animation duration?
I would think one way to fix it is make the animation really short (or remove it altogether), and give control back to the player at once, for example being able to quickly attack or block.
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm sceptical about adding a new button since the game doesn't handle such quick inputs that well, and what would happen with the weapon during that time? Atleast it should be a good option for caught weapons, to either drop them or equip them on the spot. However, I made this post because I want no delays when catching a weapon. If there is going to be a button that'll let you choose wether you keep it or not, it has to still leave you free to do any action thereafter.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm

mgtr14 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:05 pm
I'm sceptical about adding a new button since the game doesn't handle such quick inputs that well
Ghosting problems are usually related to the user's keyboard, and not the game. Also, I would suggest to use F (or whatever pick up weapon button you use) to pick up and equip the weapon after blocking it.
mgtr14 wrote:
and what would happen with the weapon during that time?
I'd say it just bounces off, as it does if you already have that weapon.
Basically, turn off auto-equip and let the player press F to pick up and equip that weapon while it's still close to him.
This would also be nice with grenades and such, with some reflexes you could be able to block a grenade, pick it up and throw it again.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:42 am

Del Poncho wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm
mgtr14 wrote:
I'm sceptical about adding a new button since the game doesn't handle such quick inputs that well
Ghosting problems are usually related to the user's keyboard, and not the game. Also, I would suggest to use F (or whatever pick up weapon button you use) to pick up and equip the weapon after blocking it.
I've had input problems despite not pressing any other buttons. I've also checked on https://drakeirving.github.io/MultiKeyDisplay/ just to be sure, and I have no ghosting issues with the keys I use. I had to hold down almost all keys ( Shift, A, S, D, R, or 1, 2 ,3 , 4) only makes Down Arrow fail. I also play on Blurry's server with only 15 ping, and when my internet is stable when it isn't acting up, it's a wireless connection though. Despite all that, the game has trouble doing what I input right before I get hit. I've had problems with unequipping and blocking in time, throwing when I want to, kicking, mid-air kicks right before I land, blocking right before I get hit, etc. Basically any input right before it's too late.

That's why I'm sceptical about adding a new button for an action that is done in such quick succession. And even if it may have just been a ghosting problem, I'd preferably account for that too.
Del Poncho wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm
mgtr14 wrote:
and what would happen with the weapon during that time?
I'd say it just bounces off, as it does if you already have that weapon.
Basically, turn off auto-equip and let the player press F to pick up and equip that weapon while it's still close to him.
This would also be nice with grenades and such, with some reflexes you could be able to block a grenade, pick it up and throw it again.
I'm fine with anything aslong as you're free to do any action after blocking. Some players use this trick to their advantage and it's almost impossible to approach them in that regard if you don't already have a weapon from their category.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Post by StarNord » Tue May 07, 2019 1:12 am

mgtr14 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm
My suggestion is to simply make a blocked thrown object drop down infront of you, leaving you free to do any other action thereafter.
RickAvory wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:36 pm
Del Poncho wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:40 pm
Maybe pressing F quickly after a block, to grab and equip it.
I've found myself grabbing a weapon I didn't want quite often in tense moments.
This would also add a bit of skill factor to grabbing and using thrown weapons on the go. More wow-factor.
Isn't the problem here that when you block a weapon the unholster animation plays? even though you grabbed it out of the air.

So that's my suggestion, when you block and grab a weapon, the unholster animation wouldn't play, as it should, and then you can either swing it at your enemy (if it's a melee weapon) or holster it immediately to punch back without the unholster animation interrupting you

If it can still be exploited, then just have the weapon holster itself, not very realistic, but the same thing happens when you pick up a weapon while having a weapon equipped so it works out anyway.
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection