Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Training / Practice Mode

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Sebthegamer26
Meatbag
SFD Account: Sebthegamer26
Training / Practice Mode

Post by Sebthegamer26 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 am

I've been playing the game for about 4 years now, and I'm still pretty bad. One of the main reasons is because I get killed very quick and have to wait for the next match (Online mode). Other main reason would be the fact that you don't really get to know /reach the game's more advanced techniques (Things like combos, fast aim, fast movement).
I know you can get better in offline modes like campaigns or challenges, but I don't think you really get to master the game with these. I think me and many others could get better at the game by having a training mode on the game, where you could learn new strategies, techniques and combos. There could be subdivisions in this mode, such as:

-"Shooting Range" (place where you master your shooting skills).
-"Karate Dojo" (place where you learn combos and combat strategies for your weapons).
-"Parkour Zone" (place where you learn how to move around more efficiently).

In all of these there would be a variety of different tips and tricks to get better at the game. There could also be custom settings for each of them, like having a time trial for the shooting range, or a survival mode for the karate dojo. Kind of like settings from Smash Bros. but way better.

I feel like this mode could be pretty useful; people like me won't have to get frustrated at having to wait long minutes for a match to end (or dying every time you open a challenge). This could also benefit skilled people, since they will finally have a challenge to beat, instead of saying "Ez" every single match.

This topic may seem like a noob crying for help because he can't win a game, but I think a lot of people could get a benefit from this.

Thank you for your attention,
Sebthegamer26.
1 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Sebthegamer26 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 am
I know you can get better in offline modes like campaigns or challenges, but I don't think you really get to master the game with these.
You've neglected to mention the main attraction of the game - Versus mode - which also happens to be available to play in Offline mode against various difficulties of AI players. Set Bots to hard (not Expert) and throw yourself at them until you figure it out. The truth is:
Sebthegamer26 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 am
Other main reason would be the fact that you don't really get to know /reach the game's more advanced techniques (Things like combos, fast aim, fast movement).
There are no "advanced" techniques in SFD, only exploits which can help you avoid or perform better in very specific situations.
  • Your "combos" are just the same 3 moves in different orders of your choosing. Kick first then punch later, start with a punch and then grab, these moves don't benefit you if you execute them in a specific order, it's just guesswork that plays off of what the opponent is doing. Do whatever you're most comfortable with while observing your opponent; are they using the same moves in the same order time and time again? Great! Now you can counter them. I'd say offense is usually much more profitable than defence (players don't go up to their opponents and start a brawl by blocking, for example) but that is debatable. Each player plays differently, but most will usually punch until they get hit once, at which point they will block, so you can starting working off this mindset.

The only three "advanced techniques" I can think of, which really are just exploits of game mechanics, are:

1. You can land a free grab if you kick an opponent while moving off an object. Your opponent goes down but you don't kneel since you don't have enough velocity to suffer a movement penalty.
    2. You can avoid jump-attack movement penalties if you execute them under low ceilings (in elevators, for example) or if you jump onto an object.
    3. You can land a free no-kneel slam by diving an opponent into a wall. You used to be able to do this indefinitely for some pretty disgusting combos but the exploit has been patched out since.

The rest of it is players incorporating different actions into their melee patterns, e.g throwing their weapon at you, spamming nades/shuriken, diving you, jogging behind you, rolling, jumping, moving away to pull a weapon out. If you're using a ranged weapon and your opponent is starting to get too close to your liking, quickly 'Sheathe' your weapon by pressing Q. The move is instant and gets you ready for melee quickly.
  • Shooting is literally just a game of timing. You start by having a crosshair pointed in a direction horizontally; your opponent is always either above it or below it. Moving the crosshair up and down from the initial position takes the same amount of time, and letting go of the 'Aim' key will reset it. With this in mind, move the crosshair up or down until you think the opponent is in line with it, then fire. Aiming precisely to deal damage quick means you've mastered that concept. It comes with practice - knowing when to fire while the crosshair is still moving means you've gotten used to the movement speed of the crosshair and can multitask well enough to also press 'Fire' when it is moving. It probably takes, like, 200-400 ms to acquire a target, I couldn't really tell you. Just play Bots to get the hang of it, they will force you to play aggressively (or die a lot).

The trick is to start aiming quickly, briefly pressing up or down, firing, then letting go of 'Aim' and continuing to move. This all happens very fast and comes with experience. When aiming, look at your opponent, not at your crosshair. Use the previous shots to guide your crosshair so the next ones hit their mark. You can use 'Walk' to slow the movement speed of the crosshair down which will cost you time but help you land shots at longer distances.
  • Moving quickly is just a matter of don't-run-into-objects, as in most other games. There's no "parkour", no special moves that will help you move faster. Time your jumps while attempting to manage your miniscule stamina pool. Dive off high places to get down quickly. You can avoid fall damage by grabbing a ledge at the last second or landing into an object's corner (wooden crates are easiest to pull this off with). You can kick + roll on objects while standing on them to launch yourself into the air but that's a risky move that will probably get you killed. That's the extent of it.
No matter the amount of tips you're given, you will still struggle. Those are things you need to experience for yourself. No shooting range or obstacle course will simulate what it's like fighting other players. Fire up your game and start a Versus game against 3-4 Hard bots. Use this script to automatically end Bot matches as soon as you die. You need to play a LOT to get good, but since you've already been playing this for 4 years I'm sure you will manage.
3 x

Sebthegamer26
Meatbag
SFD Account: Sebthegamer26
Post by Sebthegamer26 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:13 am

Oh my god, I got murdered by words... Thanks! These tips are actually really helpful, thank you for taking the time to reply to my stupid request, I appreciate it! I will try to follow these tips and practice a lot :D
1 x