Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Facility Elevator Bug(Reported by kazy)

Here you can find all solved gameplay problems and bugs (beginning from Pre-Alpha 1.8.8).
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: No Spoon?
SFD Account: Morpheus
SFD Alias: Morpheus
Started SFD: Web Version

Facility Elevator Bug(Reported by kazy)

Post by Morpheus » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am

Here's a bug that was reported by Kazy, but he could not post his findings
on the board due to his ban situation. So I took the liberty of posting it for him
on the forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wPN_VN1SnI
3 x
Physics, is the real red pill.

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 am

The elevator bug doesn't only appear on Facility. Sometimes it's possible to do the same bug on Alley. I've never seen the bug on Canals, Mall and Rooftops II, but I guess it's also possible to do the bug there.
1 x

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 pm

This isn’t a bug so much as it’s an accident in map design. Your character is able to grab through the corner of the elevator because of the way it’s placed. All that needs to happen is for the elevator to be raised 1-2 pixels upwards and it’s fixed. Either that or lower the wall to the left of the elevator 1-2 pixels.

It’s an easy fix
2 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 am

Vitamin E wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 pm
This isn’t a bug so much as it’s an accident in map design. Your character is able to grab through the corner of the elevator because of the way it’s placed. All that needs to happen is for the elevator to be raised 1-2 pixels upwards and it’s fixed. Either that or lower the wall to the left of the elevator 1-2 pixels.

It’s an easy fix
Well, there's also the fact that he phases through the wall and the elevator. I don't think it has only to do with it's placement.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Morpheus
Fighter
Fighter
Title: No Spoon?
SFD Account: Morpheus
SFD Alias: Morpheus
Started SFD: Web Version

Post by Morpheus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:18 am

Vitamin E wrote:

It’s an easy fix
I kinda agree with you there. You made a good point.
But still, shouldn't that collision property be more strict
in terms of the elevators and the Walls? I think that
could be reinforced.
0 x
Physics, is the real red pill.

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 am

I've dealt with the problem while making my own maps and I think the easiest way they can fix it is to just move the elevator one pixel. I'm sure that would be easier than having to look over and write code to fix it
0 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Vitamin E wrote:

It’s an easy fix
How is a player being able to squeeze through that very minute space not a bug? Kazy was able to bypass a rigid structure which should be blocking his way lol. sure, the fix is easy but that doesn't mean that this shouldn't be considered a flaw in coding.

This could be connected to diving players below a crate and gibing them, in both cases the object gets displaced (because of it's dynamic nature) which leads to trapping players below the object or letting them bypass the object like in this case.
2 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:41 pm

The diving is a separate issue. The issue here is that you can start ledge-grabbing on edges you normally can't hang onto - so some adjustments are in place at some point.
2 x
Gurt

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:32 am

Gurt wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:41 pm
The diving is a separate issue. The issue here is that you can start ledge-grabbing on edges you normally can't hang onto - so some adjustments are in place at some point.
Do ledges just spawn at random points since you wouldn't be able to normally grab on to them in the first place?
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:55 am

Fixed for the release version of the game.
0 x
Gurt