Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

FPS Drop at start of the round and Random FPS Drops

All technical topics that have been answered in one way or another can be found here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
fajnybobo123
Meatbag

Strange fps drop at the beginning of every round.

Post by fajnybobo123 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:38 pm

I have simple problem - after alpha update my fps drops badly at the beginning of every round when supply crates spawn.
4 x

Corporal Adrian Shephard
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Cpl Adrian Shephard

Post by Corporal Adrian Shephard » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Same here, i turned vsynch off because of that.
0 x

fajnybobo123
Meatbag

Post by fajnybobo123 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Can anybody answer what's happening? I'm not the only one having this problem. And what I noticed is, that when i play very first round (after I launch the game) the fps at the beginning is so much better than in second, third(...) round.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm guessing the JIT compiler might need some time to optimize the code access because we obfuscate the code during the Alpha now.
0 x
Gurt

Host
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Host » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 am

Gurt wrote:I'm guessing the JIT compiler might need some time to optimize the code access because we obfuscate the code during the Alpha now.
Yeah do that, I have same problem.
0 x

Astro
Meatbag

Post by Astro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:53 am

Before the last recent updates I had been playing SFD in the highest possible settings, now anytime I try to play I suffer from random FPS drops that come out of nowhere and a FPS drop that at worst sometimes cuts my FPS in half to around 30-32 FPS then returns to normal a few seconds later.
I've already lowered my settings to the lowest possible except while still using Vsync and it still drops for no reason at all. I've also asked other players if they suffer from this and many others have said yes and agreed. Also it stays at 60 FPS as soon as I've died.
0 x

Dumby Eggy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: Huevon NEO
SFD Alias: Huevon SFD
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.8

Post by Dumby Eggy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 am

I think that happens because:

1. Your internet connection could be the best, but the host has a shitty network.
2.Ping, ping infleunces so much in the performance (As I experimented since PreAlpha 1.8.8 before I started to host).
3.When a new round starts, all the players starts to move at the same time (Try to wait 2 - 3 seconds and then move).
4.Your network services also is not 100% PREFECT performance, so don't wait to not have lag or a FPS drop, even with a green ping.

I don't know what happens, ths is just what I think it is causing it.
Hope this helped you
0 x
HINT: You will not surprise me if you are good with snipers and magnums and katanas; but I will give my respect for someone who is a weapon-master. So don't wait any cheer marksmen...8-)

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Latency is just how delayed your actions to the server will be. FPS drops is basically the CPU/GPU not keeping up what SFD demands. But random FPS drops could also be when the garbage collector in .NET wants to run. Some core changes happened between .NET 4.0 (SFD Pre-Alpha) and .NET 4.5 (SFD Alpha).
We have got reports for this since Alpha when we switched to .NET 4.5. I'm thinking about an experimental build with the old .NET 4.0 that some of you can test that get these fps drops right now and see if it helps.
2 x
Gurt

Astro
Meatbag

Post by Astro » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:24 am

I would like that very much, thanks!
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Here is an experimental Alpha v.1.3.1b build using .NET 4.0. Anyone trying this one out please report back if it helps with the FPS drops at the beginning of rounds.
0 x
Gurt

Blitz
Fighter
Fighter
Started SFD: 2014
Post by Blitz » Sun May 21, 2017 5:31 am

Gurt wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm
Here is an experimental Alpha v.1.3.1b build using .NET 4.0. Anyone trying this one out please report back if it helps with the FPS drops at the beginning of rounds.
I Can't Even Download This....
0 x
I think it's in my basement....let me go upstairs and check.

Astro
Meatbag

Post by Astro » Mon May 22, 2017 1:45 am

Gurt wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:05 pm
For me the frame drops come more frequently, I think I'll just stick 4.5. Thanks
0 x

zBadBooyBR
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: zBadBooyBR
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.10.2b

Post by zBadBooyBR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 am

Sometimes when on a server with 4+ people, when the round starts my FPS starts to drop and the game runs slow, then after some seconds (about 3 seconds) the game runs normally, I also got a problem with the map "Pistons", when I'm on that map the game lags so much, anyone has some tips to increase my FPS or solve the FPS drop? Even on 800x600 resolution it stays the same thing, also, the textures level are on low quality.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am

zBadBooyBR wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 am
Sometimes when on a server with 4+ people, when the round starts my FPS starts to drop and the game runs slow, then after some seconds (about 3 seconds) the game runs normally, I also got a problem with the map "Pistons", when I'm on that map the game lags so much, anyone has some tips to increase my FPS or solve the FPS drop? Even on 800x600 resolution it stays the same thing, also, the textures level are on low quality.
Try to low the graphics in the options, turn off far background and weather, also make sure to meet the System Requirements.

This thread have to be moved to Tech Support.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:02 pm

! Message from: Gurt
Merged a bunch of similar topics.
0 x
Gurt

zBadBooyBR
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: zBadBooyBR
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.10.2b

Post by zBadBooyBR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:12 pm

JakSparro98 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am
zBadBooyBR wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 am
Try to low the graphics in the options, turn off far background and weather, also make sure to meet the System Requirements.

This thread have to be moved to Tech Support.
Sorry for wrong topic, I meet most of system requirements, is there a problem if my Windows is Windows 7 Ultimate? I'll try it out, also, I find it strange, I lag on games such as Minecraft and SFD but I play GMod, TF2, etc and runs it fine, I only got some problems with TF2 since it's a heavy game.
0 x