Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

FPS Spiking.

Having trouble running SFD? This is the place to get help and report errors.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

FPS Spiking.

Post by RickAvory » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 am

I have recently started having an issue with my game that involves my FPS to drop significantly, only to go back up to 60 (I’m playing with Vertical Sync on).

What I find bizarre is that it only happens with this game. I have been playing far more intensive games on my PC and this never happens. Is there a setting that is possibly causing this to happen? My settings are listed below.

Res: 1280x720
Fullscreen: Fullscreen
Weather: off
far bg: off
Effect level: low

I even lowered the settings and res and still get issues (these are the lowered settings). This never really happened prior.
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:29 pm

Did it start the past days or weeks? Did it start with the latest update 1.2.0c released at 13 Apr 2019, several days before it or several days after it?

If it started randomly unrelated to an update it can be because of some .NET optimization service running in the background while playing SFD (it uses .NET). From what I have gathered this can happen after windows update itself and is usually solved after some amount of processing time.
I would suggest to keep windows up-to-date and your graphics drivers.

If it started just after an update I can take a closer look and see if we have some unintentional big memory leaks introduced in the code somewhere for that update.

OBS: Do not use a Steam emulator as it can freeze the game or lower the FPS periodically for some time.
0 x
Gurt

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:29 pm
Did it start the past days or weeks? Did it start with the latest update 1.2.0c released at 13 Apr 2019, several days before it or several days after it?

If it started randomly unrelated to an update it can be because of some .NET optimization service running in the background while playing SFD (it uses .NET). From what I have gathered this can happen after windows update itself and is usually solved after some amount of processing time.
I would suggest to keep windows up-to-date and your graphics drivers.

If it started just after an update I can take a closer look and see if we have some unintentional big memory leaks introduced in the code somewhere for that update.

OBS: Do not use a Steam emulator as it can freeze the game or lower the FPS periodically for some time.
Thanks for the reply. After talking to other individuals, I was told the same thing of keeping my windows up to date. I will try to figure out how to update it when I get the chance. This actually happens periodically it seems like. I dismissed it to McAfee running a random scan and slowing down my PC. I took a break frown SFD for a whole, but I would say this has been happening ever since I came back about 2 weeks or so. I doubt it has anything to do with an update, as nobody else really has reported any issues. I just had been confused that it was only happening with the one game. Perhaps in other games it is far more negligible? SFD is a fast paced game after all.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:40 pm

If you have always experienced FPS drops in SFD it's probably because of too little RAM and only having 2 CPU cores OR you're having way too high FPS causing problematic spikes. SFD isn't perfectly optimized and rely on .NET's automatic garbage collection. You could try to set the TARGETFPS= config parameter to 60 and see if it helps (requires the VSYNC to be disabled). It might just help.
0 x
Gurt

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:40 pm
If you have always experienced FPS drops in SFD it's probably because of too little RAM and only having 2 CPU cores OR you're having way too high FPS causing problematic spikes. SFD isn't perfectly optimized and rely on .NET's automatic garbage collection. You could try to set the TARGETFPS= config parameter to 60 and see if it helps (requires the VSYNC to be disabled). It might just help.
It’s not like a constant drop. It’s just a sudden spike for maybe a second Or so that drops the FPS for 10 or more. It still runs quickly, there is just a sudden spike the hinders the movement and flow of the game
0 x