Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Project: Depth

Share custom maps and discuss them here! If you have questions related to the map editor bring it up in the Superfighters Deluxe Map Editor section.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Caver
Meatbag
Title: The rumour hunter
SFD Alias: Caver

Project: Depth

Post by Caver » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Hello. I would like to create the biggest, hugest, most detailed adventure map ever created, with your help.

It would be an underground tunnel system with puzzles, story, obstacles and more. The mission is to reach the bottom of the map by any means. I'm planning to make it a minimum 1000 units in depth, which is really deep. But as for the depth, I want your opinion. Should it be more? 1500? 2000? See how big 2000 units is in the Editor and you will see what I mean.

Should it be a solo adventure map, or should it require 2 people to complete? Decide. I have a lot of ideas.

But you can write your ideas too, there is plenty of room to fill up. Tell a short story, a short note, famous quotes, funny quotes, give me your ideas for a puzzle, and I will put it in the map with your name after it (if you want). It's just for helping to keep it interesting and to spend time while going deeper.

This is a summer project, it will be done in months, but I will keep you guys updated.

So tell me everything you want to see on an adventure map that is based on exploring the depths.

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wp ... 90x742.jpg

http://pre14.deviantart.net/7758/th/pre ... 5odmfw.png

Update log:

- the depth of the map is decided, but it will be kept secret until someone reaches the bottom and posts what he saw here
- there will be mining vehicles to help pass deadly areas, and a bit of horror
Last edited by Caver on Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Zere
Fighter
Fighter
Started SFD: 1.2.0

Post by Zere » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:05 pm

This sounds interesting, I don't have many ideas in my mind at the moment but those images gave me some, I might be able to make some automated creations (robots and stuff made by using dynamic stuff, triggers etc) I could make a working golem or something for example. The other idea that came in my mind after taking a look at the first image was a puzzle that uses valves.
0 x
Men ;D

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 pm

Zere wrote:This sounds interesting, I don't have many ideas in my mind at the moment but those images gave me some, I might be able to make some automated creations (robots and stuff made by using dynamic stuff, triggers etc) I could make a working golem or something for example. The other idea that came in my mind after taking a look at the first image was a puzzle that uses valves.
Check out a game called Chasm (the one where you play as a platypus), has some cool valve puzzles.
1 x
Hold your breath.

Relgap
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Relgap
Started SFD: 1000 bc

Post by Relgap » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:27 am

Splinter wrote:
Zere wrote:This sounds interesting, I don't have many ideas in my mind at the moment but those images gave me some, I might be able to make some automated creations (robots and stuff made by using dynamic stuff, triggers etc) I could make a working golem or something for example. The other idea that came in my mind after taking a look at the first image was a puzzle that uses valves.
Check out a game called Chasm (the one where you play as a platypus), has some cool valve puzzles.
Gah, fuck chasm! I could never complete that game.

As for this map idea, it sounds really cool, maybe you could mix in a horror element?
1 x
Big memes on the daily

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:32 am

The problem with creating a map of that size is going to be lag. There's a reason people split up adventure-style maps into segments. Sure, you can fix the camera, but all the tiles being active at once is going to cause massive framerate issues.

I guess you could do what I saw recently and make it so that when you reach the end of one area, it deconstructs that area and replaces it with the next part, allowing you to keep active tiles to a minimum and thus reduce framerate issues.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Yopa
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The great cosmic christ
SFD Alias: Diablo Yoyoeho
Started SFD: 1.5.9

Post by Yopa » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Well it's a good idea but from what i learned, many players lag on big map, you can save fps using groupmakers, you can return the fbg dynamic for save fps and time, you can breck the map to different parts as Del poncho has do there are 2 years for his map adventure. We can not go beyond 5000 meters of depth, height and width, tell you that it is already large. That's all
0 x
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Caver
Meatbag

Post by Caver » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks for the tips, and it's not 5000 meters...a bit less :)
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 pm

This sounds like a really good idea. So good, in fact, its potential to flop and fail is much bigger than those of which don't aim their sights so high, and as such I would like to show an additional, perhaps a more realistic point of view different to the one of excitement people here have already expressed. Consider the following:

1. You seem to know, more or less, what you want the map to contain, correct? The real question is, what's your experience in map making like? Do you even have any? Will you rely on people like Kawabanga for the visuals, or Del Poncho for the story, or can you create some aspects of the map by yourself? If it's the latter, are there any examples of your work you could provide for us to see? I'm sure seeing a good artist will help you get more support in the subject, and vice versa.

2. You say this will be a community effort. This thread is supposedly a recruiting thread, to see who'd be willing to help you with your project. Have you already talked to the bigger map creators, or any experienced map creators that can help? Maybe you should create a contributor list in your thread and update it periodically? But then, how does one contribute? Do I create a template? A part of the map, and submit it as a file to be downloaded by other contributors? A small sketch of my idea, perhaps?

3. Your ideas are complicated and sound like a lot of thought will be needed to be put into them to even figure out how to implement them. A functional vehicle that destroys objects in its path? I mean, can you actually code that, or will you simplify it to a degree of "press button, objects disappear"? Are you going to create the puzzles, or again rely on a different person to provide that? What "horror" elements can a humoristic 2D shooter contain? Could you elaborate on how the players progress in their way to the ultimate goal? Are there are side objectives, secrets or collectibles? Will the tasks (or their order) be randomized for more replayability? Most of these have already been implemented in one way or the other, and cramming them up into one map will surely up its chances to compete for the "best map" title you wish to obtain.

Not to sound too pessimistic, but I can come up with grand ideas too. The problem is, I have nearly zero experience with using the map creator, and taking on the task of creating "the biggest, hugest, most detailed adventure map ever created" is kind of an overkill for a first real map I make. So you either rely on other people's effort here, or create something that can't compete with the better adventure maps because your lack of experience. Unless you can prove me wrong, that is. I just worry that everybody's effort here will go to waste if the one leading the project has no idea what he's doing. It would be a real shame, since this is something I would love to try out if done well.
2 x

Caver
Meatbag

Post by Caver » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Hey KliPeH,

1. Yes, I know what the map will look like, ideas will come as I'm making it. I've been making maps for months, I know a few tricks. My maps are not published anywhere, I only play them with friends in private servers. I will keep working alone unless someone sends me a private message, saying "hey let's work together". Story and visuals all by me, unless you post some ideas here, and I shall write your name on the end of the map, if you wish.

2 and 3. The vehicles will be simple and controlled by buttons and triggers. There will be simple puzzles like "shoot that object so the way will be unlocked". For horror, I mean atmosphere. I can draw detailed things like little devils lurking around, or I can create a ghost which will activate when you reach a trigger, and will chase you down, and try to kill you. There will be simple side objectives which reward you with a Medkit or something else. The map will try to kill you in many ways. Collectibles is a good idea, I should do that. I could write your name at the end of the map for this idea, if you want. "Idea for collectibles by KliPeH. That's up to you. This map won't have replayability, it will be mostly for completionists. Reach the bottom, while having fun, ONCE. I did not say it will be the best map, only the hugest, and most detailed adventure map.

I do not rely on anyone, that's up for anyone who wishes to help me. I prefer to do this alone, my own style. Don't worry about everybody's efforts, it's only a silly map to enjoy. Feel free to post ideas, and I will see them on the map.
1 x

dudely-kay
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Me, myself and I
Started SFD: 1.8.4
Post by dudely-kay » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:28 pm

you don't need all that space to make a good adventure map, you can just compress all that quantity into quality.
you see, most people have short attention-spans. that's why they don't enjoy puzzles and story plots. It doesn't get their attention as much as graphics and original features.
Also you should add checkpoints, don't make them too close or to spaced. Maybe add a way that each surviving player can revive only one mate ? the ideas just keep flowing...
BTW: remember that people are sooooo judgmental, so try to perfect every aspect.
3 x

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Don't worry about lag. I don't know if you ever saw one of my 2 adventure maps? They're around 3000-3500 units wide and they don't lag at all with 2 players. I like the idea of having to go deeper and deeper solving puzzles, I can help you out if you want :]
1 x
Hold your breath.

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:55 pm

Are there gonna be any traps or secrets? Maybe well hidden clues on what might try to kill you on the walls or maybe something randomly spawns that could serve as a clue like a stack of chairs falling out of no where hinting on a crushing trap ahead. Example must people would probably think "huh chair confetti" then they move to the next room *SPLAT* now they know to pay attention to the maps details.
For secrets I was thinking a well hidden shortcut on the most unpredictable places like on a ledge that's camouflage as an insta kill spot that you can claim on or some secret weapon you can use to make progression easier. Example you find a m60 for a moving target test where you're suppose to use a sniper.
Edit: I also wanted to ask if your map will have a funny narrator that gives hints. Example one pits, two pits, three pets!(I know it's bad) people would think it's a typo but it's actually a hint for the shortcut you can find on the third pit.
1 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

ClockworkDice
Fighter
Fighter
Started SFD: Sometime in Pre-Alpha
Post by ClockworkDice » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:18 pm

Well, it's now 2017. Did you finish the map? If so I'd love to see it.
1 x

SAURABH
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Dangerous Dave
SFD Alias: Dave
Started SFD: June 2016
Post by SAURABH » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 am

Here I made an Adventure map (quite long), take any ideas from it.
Link : http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 7914492480
***However my map does not have automatic gameover (due to new SFD scriptAPI update)***
0 x
Just play for Fun! *joins Clan*