Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

How to make this spin?

Share questions and tutorials related to the map editor. Share you maps in the Superfighters Deluxe Custom Maps section.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Host
Fighter
Fighter

How to make this spin?

Post by Host » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:21 pm

Oy!

How can I make this thing rotate like a hamster wheel? I tried with Revolute joint but can't figure it out:

https://imgur.com/a/VKWmx

Yes that thing is welded together and they are all set to Dynamic.
0 x

Guille_dlC
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Guille_dlC
SFD Alias: Ghost
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.6.0

Post by Guille_dlC » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Open some official maps, like Steamship, or Fairground, and see how they do it. (The Steamship Wheel, or the Fair Wheel)
0 x
Remove melee

Host
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Host » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:02 pm

Tried that, but this is different. It's easy to rotate 1 object AT it's center. What I need is rotating many objects AROUND a center.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Create a dynamic backdrop which rotates around its center and weld all your things to that backdrop. You can create it out of an invisible tile (just make sure to resize it so it covers all your welded objects). I do NOT recommend doing this as the box2D engine can become unstable. But with the right values on your rotate joint it might just work.
1 x
Gurt

Host
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Host » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:03 am

Yup, did that, all set on Dynamic, welded together, and re-sized a FarBgCloud tile to cover everything. Motor enabled. But it keeps falling down on start, into the void. It won't stay in the air.

Oh well I guess it's not possible.
0 x

Rubber
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Experimental Map Maker...?
SFD Account: Rubbla Bubbla
SFD Alias: @Rubber
Started SFD: First versions of SFD

Post by Rubber » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I can assure you it's possible. put a NoCollision Invisible Block at the center of the contraption. Everything must be welded together and everything must be dynamic, EXCEPT the Revolute Joint. The Revolute Joint must be Static, otherwise everything will fall down.

Make sure to have the Motor of the revolute joint enabled and to have a high enough Motor Torque since those are all pretty heavy tiles.

Hope this works, otherwise i'll send you a similar contraption in a PM if you want, of course.
2 x
Here's what I do:
  • Give bad advice
  • Criticise people's maps in an unnecessary way
  • Spam pictures in tutorials
  • Write walls of text
  • Incoherently open a server
  • Make too complex gamemodes