Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

What Is The Speed of Velocity?

Share questions, scripts and tutorials related to the ScriptAPI in SFD.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

What Is The Speed of Velocity?

Post by Danger Ross » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:31 am

The question I'm trying to answer is how many pixels/units will an object travel per second if its velocity is one(1) in some direction. I tried to do some research about Box2D but it's leaving me confused and I suspect that the actual values are specific to the game that uses the engine. The magnitude of a velocity represents how many m/s something moves but then I have to answer how long is a meter (and how long is a second). a meter is most likely 8 or 16 units as pointed out by Motto, but it would still require some testing or confirmation from a developer.

I will comment back on this post once I've tested it myself!
0 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

Post by Danger Ross » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:56 am

I forgot to reply back but here's the experiment I set up:

According to this, one unit of "velocity" is equivalent to around 21 pixels per second.
However, this estimate doesnt include drag. In that gif, the results output shows that there is a 0.031 pix/s difference in the final velocity compared to how much the object is launched with.
I might attempt to do some math to figure out the drag influence but so far I still don't have an accurate sum

Again, the purpose of this forum post is to find the unknown which is the "unknown units" part as seen in the gif.
In this example, 3.69 is the amount I used to launch an object. 3.69 of what? chickens? potatoes? It's a complete mystery. So far the answer appears to be 21 pix/s... "a length of twenty-one pixels three point seven times per second."
0 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)