Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

CPU AI (land before hardcoded AI)

Here you can find answered ScriptAPI topics.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

CPU AI (land before hardcoded AI)

Post by Danger Ross » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:20 am

Who has created the best AI for the CPU we have today?

Has anyone made anything notable, such as a bot that can navigate a map to find a player? I'm thinking this could be done through super inefficient collision checks in an area around the bot so that it can "see" where it should jump or how it would move to get somewhere.

I'm just looking for people who are more connected to the scripting community or have done something remarkable themselves.

On a side note, although this skill would be rendered pointless after an actual AI by the developers will be released, it's still interesting to see how people have done it before they had the right tools... you know... for history.
0 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 am

Antonikon managed to create homing drones and turrets with an aiming algorithm.
But he is gone...
I think JackSparrow works on a basic AI
1 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 am

Danger Ross wrote:Who has created the best AI for the CPU we have today?

Has anyone made anything notable, such as a bot that can navigate a map to find a player? I'm thinking this could be done through super inefficient collision checks in an area around the bot so that it can "see" where it should jump or how it would move to get somewhere.

I'm just looking for people who are more connected to the scripting community or have done something remarkable themselves.

On a side note, although this skill would be rendered pointless after an actual AI by the developers will be released, it's still interesting to see how people have done it before they had the right tools... you know... for history.
This is a very interesting topic.

JackSparro has been making an AI for a long time now. I am really looking forward it, and I think that it will be not basic, it will be great.

The main quidelines in AI pathfinding is creating the "NavMesh" (Like, the are where the AI can move and interact, and contains options for jumping, climbing, shooting etc..), and then implementing the AI to use it. The hardest thing is the procedural NavMesh creation. The creating component has to detect objects and floors, hazards, ladders, weapons etc. This makes it very complex.

Even if the procedural method to make the mesh is mostly used and easy to spread, other way is to make manually the area, liek in SFD with AreaTriggers or invisible blocks, and give them cutomid's that control certain events.

It's sad that SFD.GameScriptInterface is so limited and won't let us use threads :(
1 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Billy wrote:Antonikon managed to create homing drones and turrets with an aiming algorithm.
But he is gone...
I think JackSparrow works on a basic AI
Motto73 wrote:
This is a very interesting topic.

JackSparro has been making an AI for a long time now. I am really looking forward it, and I think that it will be not basic, it will be great.

The main quidelines in AI pathfinding is creating the "NavMesh" (Like, the are where the AI can move and interact, and contains options for jumping, climbing, shooting etc..), and then implementing the AI to use it. The hardest thing is the procedural NavMesh creation. The creating component has to detect objects and floors, hazards, ladders, weapons etc. This makes it very complex.

Even if the procedural method to make the mesh is mostly used and easy to spread, other way is to make manually the area, liek in SFD with AreaTriggers or invisible blocks, and give them cutomid's that control certain events.

It's sad that SFD.GameScriptInterface is so limited and won't let us use threads :(
With the script addition to better handle the player I think I will temporarily stop the AI development and wait for the next update, and since you want to see if the NPCs can navigate through (static) environment, today I'm going to make you a gift (don't hipe too much for it, it doesn't worth the pain).

Thanks Motto and Billy, I've appreciate the confidence ;)
2 x

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Danger Ross » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 am

Thank you all for replying! and good job JakSparro.
This thread can be useful in the time until the next update releases some sort of AI.

I'm planning to make a script that's ment to operate with several different bots. To make it efficient I'm thinking of making it rely on random chance to eventually find a path to a target player. This might not be intelligent, but it suits my needs for making an army of tutorial bots :P .
0 x

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Danger Ross » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:48 pm

https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... =15&t=1521

Congratulations to jaksparro for making a working AI one week before the actual AI.

Although kind of ironic, it's still an impressive feat and deserves respect. I'm putting this article here as to archive.
1 x

ShayVo_
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Your Murderer.
SFD Account: ShayVo_
SFD Alias: $HayVo_
Started SFD: Before you started

Post by ShayVo_ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Well...that's like stealing devs's job...If I was Gurt I would be angry, like someone is publishing an AI because I waited the beta to publish the basic one...heh.
0 x
I hit the CTRL key but i'm still not in control

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't know why I would be angry. JackSparro's script will most likely be around for some longer time if he keeps working on it. It almost date back one year now. Pretty impressive what you can do with the limited ScriptAPI.
2 x
Gurt

ShayVo_
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Your Murderer.
SFD Account: ShayVo_
SFD Alias: $HayVo_
Started SFD: Before you started

Post by ShayVo_ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Hah good to see that you're open minded. Sorry for that
0 x