Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Getting knocked down and standing back up will instantly equip a weapon.

Did you encounter a problem, exploit, glitch or bug while playing the game or running the dedicated server software? Tell us about it here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
Getting knocked down and standing back up will instantly equip a weapon.

Post by mgtr14 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:34 pm

If you start pulling out any weapon and get knocked down at the same time, the weapon will be instantly equipped and ready to use once you get back up.
This means, for example; If I start equipping a chainsaw right before you knocked me down, I can seemingly skip the equipping animation and instantly start sawing you.
The problem is that the first few moments of equipping are almost invisible, with your opponent being unable to tell what weapon you'll instantly use.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Getting knocked down bypasses the drawing time and this is by design if you land from a long fall for example or get knocked down from an explosion.

Getting hit by another player disarms you though so I'm not sure if you have found a situation where you're not properly disarmed by getting hit from another player while drawing a weapon? If that's the case I need more detailed information.
0 x
Gurt

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 pm
Getting knocked down bypasses the drawing time and this is by design if you land from a long fall for example or get knocked down from an explosion.

Getting hit by another player disarms you though so I'm not sure if you have found a situation where you're not properly disarmed by getting hit from another player while drawing a weapon? If that's the case I need more detailed information.
The problem is that one can't see what you're equipping for the the beginning of the animation. One could equip a chainsaw right before you knock them down with for example an explosion, shotgun blast, or critical shot. Since you don't know that he started equipping his chainsaw, you try to melee him. However, he can stand up and instantly use his chainsaw. This has happened to me sometimes.

It's not just the chainsaw, a flamethower/shotgun/magnum/sniper rifle would be equally or more destructive. Shurikens can take a ton of health.

I personally think that the equipping animation should be "paused" when a player is knocked down, and started up again when they get back up.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 pm

mgtr14 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 pm
The problem is that one can't see what you're equipping for the the beginning of the animation. [...]
Well, the weapons the fighters have equipped are shown on their backs and at their hip. It’s also not hard to keep an eye on players scrambling for weapons at the beginning of the round and throughout it either. I don’t think it matters what weapon the fighter will equip when you’re in melee range since you’ve already accepted the fact you’re engaging them and will be suffering the consequences.

In general, you’re already aware of what gear they’re carrying and what kind of damage they could output so these few frames of animation don’t really matter in my opinion.
0 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 pm
mgtr14 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 pm
The problem is that one can't see what you're equipping for the the beginning of the animation. [...]
Well, the weapons the fighters have equipped are shown on their backs and at their hip. It’s also not hard to keep an eye on players scrambling for weapons at the beginning of the round and throughout it either.
It is, you're most likely fighting for your own equipment and that's where your focus will be, unless you got crates for yourself (Which is uncommon).
KliPeH wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 pm
I don’t think it matters what weapon the fighter will equip when you’re in melee range since you’ve already accepted the fact you’re engaging them and will be suffering the consequences.

In general, you’re already aware of what gear they’re carrying and what kind of damage they could do so these few frames of animation don’t really matter.
Since equipping makes you unable to attack (You can still roll and jump to dodge, or just do it behind cover), the opponent can try getting in shots.
Equipping is basically a window for your opponent to attack. If they do get a shot, especially one that knocks you down, they can further punish by doing a melee combo or landing another shot. However, sometimes the melee combo does the most damage. The initial shot is just a small part of the punishment, it's really the latter attacks that rack up considerable damage. This is the punishment for equipping at the wrong time, or equipping while being uncautious.
However, this weird design choice makes you unable to properly punish sometimes. Certain weapons make you want to completely stay away from opponents, since they can and will instantly retaliate. Sometimes this means unexpectedly taking a ton of damage or even death.

This design choice makes it harder to further punish in certain situations where it, IMO, should be possible, and sometimes a seemingly free combo can lead to your death without you being able to tell.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!