Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[DONE] Planned feature: Strength powerup

Here you can see some of our planned features for Superfighters Deluxe.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

[DONE] Planned feature: Strength powerup

Post by Hjarpe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:51 pm

-Occupies the fifth weapon slot and can be used at any time, just like slo-mo.
-Lasts something like 30 seconds.
-Increases the damage and force of all your melee attacks. Knockdowns hurl enemies much further.
-Increases your resistance to all damage.
-Increases your size by 25% or so.
-Should you be able to use firearms while this effect is on, or can you only throw them in people's faces (with the weapon-throwing system)? Discuss!
7 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 pm

The only guns you should be able to use after increasing your size would probably be the bazooka and M60. Increasing the throw distance and damage would also be a nice buff for this item.
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:41 pm

Maybe you can't get knocked down in this mode (only by explosions maybe).
I think 30-45 seconds is too much, that's a really long time.
2 x
Hold your breath.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:00 am

But that would give the user enough time to fully take advantage of the buff. If it was 5-10 seconds it wouldn't have as much of an impact.
1 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Splinter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:22 am

I know, I'm talking 15/20/25 seconds, I think that's a good number.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:14 am

30-40 seconds seems fine,but I guess that's the last part that has to be decided,considering how many particulars this feature can have. Heck,if it gets a lot of maluses,it could even become a minute powerup (or even a full match one)

Aim
Maybe this powerup could allow the player to aim in a smaller area in front of him (For example,a 30 degrees area,instead of the current 180 degrees),to simulate clumsiness of this enormous superfighter trying to aim his m60 with all those extra muscles in the way.

Weapons
For the weapons,I think it should be able to use only the bigger weapons,such as m60's,bazookas,flamethrowers,and maybe grenade launchers. For how I see it,this powerup should be focused more on melee. A 2-meters-muscle-filled-sniper would be painful to watch.

Knock Downs and stagger
I agree with Splinter's idea,maybe this powerup could prevent you from getting knocked down by anything but explosions.
Maybe things like a weapon crit (For example a full shot from a shotgun) and the last hit of a melee combo,could stagger him instead of knocking him down. This would basically mean making a step up on the stagger table,where something that normally staggered the fighter doesnt have effect,and something that knocked the fighter only staggers him.
In case of being hit by another player with the same powerup,I would make it like a normal fight,with the same damage proportions and everything.

Fall damage
Imho,this muscle-filled angry fighter could be immune to fall damage,if he lands on his feet (but still suffer from it if from fall caused by a knock down). This would not stop him from having a crouch animation. In fact,his enormous mass could make him have a crouch animation from any fall higher than a normal jump, miming his weight affecting his clumsy fighter legs.
There could be even the idea that a powered up fighter could smash a normal fighter after a long enough fall.

Question: Do you plan on making it just a bigger version of the fighter,maintining the same proportions,or do you plan on making him have a different look (More body mass,more visible veins,smaller head,etc)?

Sorry if I made another terrifying wall of text. I really tried to be as clear as possible,but my summary skills are not the best,and I'm already picturing a lot of funny scenese involving this powerup.
I must say that I really do like these "discuss" posts.
10 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Lots of good points here, too many to respond to them all! I've edited the point about the duration. The way I imagine the powerup, 30 seconds seems an appropriate time to be hulkin' around, but we never know these things for sure until we're testing; as Del Poncho says, it depends on a great number of factors.
1 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with this feature as long as it forces the superfighter to tear off their upper-apparel as they grow, maybe even do a little flex afterwards to further emphasize the fact they've become absolutely ripped.
3 x
hello yes

Player1
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0

Post by Player1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Now that I think about it, flexing can be used as start-up so this power up isn't just a (Get and Kill everyone in the server)weapon.
Will there be an animation for it, like the when the Bruce Banner transforms into the Hulk? So that you can be attacking him and at least get some health off the player, before they destroy the entire server.

And since they're bigger I think their punches should be an automatic stumble, making players want to evade the Giant Super Fighter.
etc.
0 x

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:44 am

Probably not, if you had an animation for when transforming then you'd be shoot down, if you get invisibility frames it'd be abused, and if this transformation had an area of effect where everyone around the transformation would be in some way blown away, or stunned we'd be fuked.
0 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

Player1
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Player1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 pm

It wouldn't be a long drawn out transformation, more like a subtle shirt rip and character growth. Enough time that they wouldn't basically just use the power up and destroy the server.
0 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Well,the transformation time could just be done almost instantly,in like 0,5 / 1,0 second,where the player just get bigger and maybe get in some yelling pose.
It would be fair to others,cause seeing a normal guy running towards you and instantly transform to punch you with an incredible power would be weird.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Formel
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Not drunk enough
SFD Alias: Col. Kelly Formel
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.4.2

Post by Formel » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Well, if fighter could get melee power increase, so there could be slowdown of his movement. Otherwise it could be a horrible melee-machine-of-death. Instead of movement speed hulk can get jump height or something like this.
0 x
Regin of doom! Deciver of fools! Alcoholic! Bad puns included.

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Splinter » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Formel wrote:Well, if fighter could get melee power increase, so there could be slowdown of his movement. Otherwise it could be a horrible melee-machine-of-death. Instead of movement speed hulk can get jump height or something like this.
He would have to rely too much on his melee power for the potion to be effective, so slowing him down could be too bad. What if he is slower, but has some special skills? For example, his kicks are very powerful and can launch objects further, his punches stagger players much more, and his dive is actually like a long jump which makes him land crouching with impact, knocking nearby fighters down.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Post by Hjarpe » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 pm

Splinter wrote:
Formel wrote:Well, if fighter could get melee power increase, so there could be slowdown of his movement. Otherwise it could be a horrible melee-machine-of-death. Instead of movement speed hulk can get jump height or something like this.
He would have to rely too much on his melee power for the potion to be effective, so slowing him down could be too bad. What if he is slower, but has some special skills? For example, his kicks are very powerful and can launch objects further, his punches stagger players much more, and his dive is actually like a long jump which makes him land crouching with impact, knocking nearby fighters down.
We were actually thinking about boosting the movement speed slightly. With the punches that hurl enemies away, increased propensity to kneel-land after falling, and lack of guns, you'll need a speed boost to catch up. Also, you won't feel like an awesome Hulk if you're suddenly moving slower relative to your body size.
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:23 pm

If a player that uses this powerup can't use any weapon at all except powered fists it's just fair that he can run a bit faster (growing means longer legs!) but running might drain more energy. Anyone that don't want to get caught need to stay away for the duration of the powerup. Energy management will in such case be key to avoiding/catching up.

I like the idea that falling from a greater distance will make you kneel instead of taking fall damage. Maybe even from any height - but the kneeling will be longer than usual if you would have taken damage.
1 x
Gurt

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:43 am

And if they land from such a height that they would take damage, the screen should shake, a loud noise should play, and nearby players are knocked off their feet. Maybe they should even take damage for it. We're working movie magic, it'll make the effect more badass.
4 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:17 pm

And if you land on someone during this effect from very high you might gib them instantly. You're a moving gibbing box! Hehe. That might be over the top but way fun!
5 x
Gurt

Player1
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Player1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:22 pm

I also think it should take 2 kicks, to kick them off a ledge.
You said no guns, so to make them even more dangerous, they can dual-wield melee weapons. Think about it, a giant man holding 2 katanas, etc.

And to Lunatic, what if the player is in the air? Would they go into the falling animation?
0 x

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:50 pm

I don't think so. Unless somehow knocked off a building, the beefed up fighter should have complete control of their character.

I like the idea about insta-gibbing, though. It's hard to land on people in this game.
0 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)