Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[CANCELLED] Planned feature: Grappling hook

Here you can see some of our planned features for Superfighters Deluxe.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

[CANCELLED] Planned feature: Grappling hook

Post by Gurt » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:28 pm

Planned feature: Grappling hook

This is a stretch goal and might not appear in the finished game at all. But it's still a planned feature.

A grappling hook to allow you to freely swing around.

- A limited range weapon. The reach might be somewhat further than a flamethrower.
- Will probably occupy the handgun slot.
- Grabs on first dynamic or static object it collides with.
- You can swing around freely from the object you're attached to.
- Jumping while swinging detaches you. Similar when jumping from a ledge grab.
- Grabbing hold on light objects and items will make the items fly back to you. Shooting item crates will destroy the crate and make the containing item fly back to you.
- Grabbing a player holding any weapon will disarm it and make it fly back to you (cocked grenades/mines and molotovs will also fly back to you so be careful).
- Grabbing a player not holding a weapon will pull that player towards you.
18 x
Gurt

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:05 am

I think this is the best idea of SFD , when you add this , i will add new style of freerun
0 x
-Content-maker.

Saint
Meatbag
SFD Account: Saint
SFD Alias: Saint
Started SFD: 2011
Post by Saint » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:52 am

What would happen if two grappling hooks hit each other? Would they both retract, or hook on to each other like a game of tug o war?
Last edited by KliPeH on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quad quoting.
1 x
An average Joe fighting for his SFD country - 2016

A guy from a small town who was aspired by an indie game from 2011 that's he's been playing for 18 years of his life to become a game developer and help the SFD community - 2020

Elk
Meatbag
Title: Worst Melee Combatant Ever
SFD Account: Kimihro
SFD Alias: Elk, El Alce, Kimihro
Started SFD: since launch

Post by Elk » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:48 pm

I'd actually cream my pants if this was implemented. Would also make for some good PvP parkour options for dedicated content producers.
2 x

Iliyan
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Enthusiast of SF and SFD
SFD Account: Iliyan
SFD Alias: Iliyan[44]
Started SFD: Carving for it since normal SF

Post by Iliyan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:06 pm

this is going to make you sweat to implement ,work had developers.
0 x

Kyra
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Do your homework.
SFD Account: Howmork
SFD Alias: [JOY] Howmork
Started SFD: Around 1.2.0

Post by Kyra » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:39 pm

I have an idea for grappling hooks... Maybe instead of throwing you could aim and fire so the hook would hook on what ever is in front... If it didnt stick it would slowly come back? I just want it to have melee too... like grabbing things etc Also if you move left right left right.. maybe you can use momentum to get you to places? :}
0 x

btelchi
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: . . .
SFD Account: @btelchi
SFD Alias: I've got plenty
Started SFD: PreAlpha
Post by btelchi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:51 pm

What about if a player has hooked into something stable, you will be able to rather climb the rope(simular to ladders) or cut it. That would be cool if you for example need help, and you shoot a hook to the stable platform and your teammate goes down with the rope helping you. Or if a guy is too pro with the weapoon and keeps disarming people as hell, you can cut the rope when it's attached so the gun can't shoot anymore. Not too op anymore too.
How about if you grab someone with the hook and drop it while grabbed, the gun itself will fly into the enemy dealing high damage and knocking him over! But the disadwantage of this is that if the enemy survive he will have a perfectly fine hook for use.
0 x
Join our agency today. Copy AAT ayy
https://discord.gg/rB3GgCt
America is a tune, it must be sung together.

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:56 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
Manually merged a new thread for an existing idea with an older one.
How about a Grappling hook :)

its going to be a pistol type gun for slot 1.it will have 3 hook ammo.

we can aim at wall and shoot a hook with rope.the hook attaches to the wall and when we press jump key we pulled at a fast speed towards the wall,and then drop down.

we can shoot the hook on the enemy,so it will be a less damage and the opponent will be stunned.and the hook-rope will be wasted and fall down.

it will do the same to barrels and boxes,crates and other obstecals .it will fall and wasted with the hit effect.

you can stay in the holding stance for about 4 secs,and then automatically pulled.

if the attached hook is hit by a shot it will be broken and you will fell down.
0 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 pm

What happens if the hook is just thrown into the air? Does it just fall and hit your face?
0 x
-Evilsack

TheOriginalCj
Title: Lifetime Sentence to SF Wiki
SFD Alias: RedneckJed
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.0

Post by TheOriginalCj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 am

If this could possibly benefit the devs or speculating players in anyway, I have a sort of idealized example of how the grappling hook should/could function:

1 x
Superfighters Wiki Founder
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!
Danger Ross wrote: What are you doing here wiki-slave?! GET BACK TO WORK!

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:37 am

TheOriginalCj wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:17 am
I have a sort of idealized example of how the grappling hook should/could function
Cool, but it could be like this too:

The difference is that, in this case, it's an elastic hookshot. Notice how he gets pulled up by the elastic force. It would be useful to climb vertical walls, without needing a ceiling to shoot at.

PS: thank you Zyfex for the footage. ;)
1 x
Hold your breath.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am

TheOriginalCj wrote:
If this could possibly benefit the devs or speculating players in anyway, I have a sort of idealized example of how the grappling hook should/could function:

That is indeed the ideal, at least for me. Worms is a big influence on SFD, if that wasn't obvious. ;)
3 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Splinter wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:37 am
TheOriginalCj wrote:
I have a sort of idealized example of how the grappling hook should/could function
Cool, but it could be like this too:

The difference is that, in this case, it's an elastic hookshot. Notice how he gets pulled up by the elastic force. It would be useful to climb vertical walls, without needing a ceiling to shoot at.

PS: thank you Zyfex for the footage. ;)
I'd say that it should not allow you to jump while still standing in the air. I mean, it wouldn't be realistic, and realism is clearly a main point in SFD;
Instead, I'd suggest to allow a jump after reaching the actual harpoon, to allow you to jump over the ledge of a vertical wall, or similar.
To make it simple, imagine that attached to the harpoon there's a LedgeGrab marker.

Also, how do the devs imagine the "trajectory" of the hook to be? Literally a straight line -like in worms,for example- , or with a more realistic "arch" trajectory?

Also, what if there was a way to "slowly release" the harpoon,without dropping it? To allow some good ol' dangling from a cieling for various tacticool effects. Imagine shooting while dangling, to have a more dramatic scene, if needed.

I must say,for how I'm imagining, the hook is more of a utility object, to allow free movement in some situations, while I think the devs imagined it more like a sort of weapon, especially since the short range they suggest.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 am

Del Poncho wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 pm
I'd say that it should not allow you to jump while still standing in the air. I mean, it wouldn't be realistic, and realism is clearly a main point in SFD;
Instead, I'd suggest to allow a jump after reaching the actual harpoon, to allow you to jump over the ledge of a vertical wall, or similar.
To make it simple, imagine that attached to the harpoon there's a LedgeGrab marker.
He doesn't jump mid-air in that gif, he just gets pulled up by the elastic force. But, since Hjarpe imagines the grappling hook to be more like worms (not elastic), I like your idea of allowing to jump up or off the wall, like a ledge grab. I thought of an elastic hook because it would allow players to climb big vertical walls without needing a ceiling to shoot at. But, a small jump like you suggested works too.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 am

Splinter wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 am
Del Poncho wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:15 pm
He doesn't jump mid-air in that gif, he just gets pulled up by the elastic force. But, since Hjarpe imagines the grappling hook to be more like worms (not elastic), I like your idea of allowing to jump up or off the wall, like a ledge grab. I thought of an elastic hook because it would allow players to climb big vertical walls without needing a ceiling to shoot at. But, a small jump like you suggested works too.
I've actually imagined it to work much like Worms, but with the ability to jump off at any time, just like you can jump off ladders. That would let you climb over vertical walls as long as the hook hit the wall relatively near the top. But the elasticity looks interesting too, I'm not against trying something like that.
1 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:27 am

By elasticity we mean that the rope of the hook can eventually bend in case something gets in the way? So that it acts like a real rope with physics, instead of just going in a straight line?
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

JBT
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: JBT

Post by JBT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:04 am

I mean if we're considering that chandeliers and other tethered objects in game right now don't have physics for the rope / chain I doubt it, though that may change. On another note, if you hook a player and pull him towards you, would you be pulled as well? And either way would you be able to use this very in an aggressive manner by doing something like hit them out of the air and make them take full fall damage, or pull somebody off a ledge to melee combo them, or would it be more utility focused and hooking a player would be more to get them out of position than to kill?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 am

when we grapple to a wall we should be able to sit on it as if it were a ledge. PLS ADD THIS PLSSSSSSSS! I WANNA BE BATMAN IN SUPERFIGHTERS!
1 x

Lamgiabao
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Haha!I don't have any title...
SFD Account: 666:B14c
Started SFD: Beta 1.0.2c

Post by Lamgiabao » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:14 pm

This feature will make the game more interesting.
0 x

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm

this sounds so much fun.
0 x