Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[DONE] Ability to grab enemies

Here you can see some of our planned features for Superfighters Deluxe.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Duck
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: gogogadgetkeyboard
SFD Account: Shui
Started SFD: Jul 2013

Re: CANCELED: Ability to grab enemies

Post by Duck » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:41 am

Right now we have different strides of motion in melee combat;

Blocking keeps you right where you are and doesn't stun the opponent.
Punching and kicking moves you forward slightly and stuns/moves opponents away
Throwing moves you (your damage field) very far forward and stuns opponents.

Grabs would add another stride that gives fighters a full range of attack:

[T]- Blocking
[T]---- Punching
[T]------- Grabbing
[T]----------- Throwing

Without grabbing it's incomplete and doesn't make sense
[T]-
[T]--- it jumps from this,
[T]----------- to this

In a nutshell: grabs gud me like keep grab pls
19 x
'<'

Esper
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: In vainglory they arose, kinda
SFD Alias: Esper, Bachhal, Famfrit...
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.7.6c

Post by Esper » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:43 am

Don't remove it, don't dare to!
This was one of the best ideas, and it's being scratched out!? Now I think you'll see the fall of the golden players, the ones that gave time and were going to give money to this game, what will happen now? We'll see, or at least I will.
Last edited by Esper on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 x
Inserting the most notorious, stupid and insulting thread where admins won't charge you for almost anything.

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:43 am

NOOOOOO , NO REMOVE , OUR MELEE IS TOO POOR ;-; , or add other roundhouse kick ;/ , NEW MELEE MOVEMENT , IF TRUE LIKE!
13 x
Just me The Predator!

The816
Meatbag

Post by The816 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:50 am

ADD THE ABILITY TO GRAB ENEMIES
11 x

Apocalyptic
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: bullet on target.
SFD Alias: |LPH| sexy chocolate
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.2.0/May 2013

Post by Apocalyptic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 am

Yeah! Thanks God for this. #grabnomore
2 x
The End is just the beginning.

Retired Santa
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Ruro
SFD Alias: Retired Santa
Started SFD: November 2013

Post by Retired Santa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:06 am

Please do not cancel the idea to grab opponents. I feel that having the ability to grab could complete the melee system, because the melee system right now is not complete or stable, as most people say. Throwing is still broken, since like, the knife does a whole lot of damage if you blade side hits you, which I guess makes somewhat sense. Some melee fights are kind of boring to watch as well, because it's actually kind of still just watching people press A and D, and I think that the ability to grab would fix that. Not to mention, it's just another way to kill your opponent, and that seems pretty great to me. But, I don't know.
13 x
"Take care of yourselves, and have yourself a damn good one."

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:33 am

I've read the reason why you decided to cancel throws but I can't agree, the current play style of this game is basically rock-paper-scissors say shoot with shoot being the the absolute best choice. I'll admit this update changed the game by adding a mixture of fun I honestly never thought I'd get back, this game finally made me lunge out my chair laughing on the floor to the point people would think I was having some sort of hysteria attack again it was just that good; HOWEVER that does not mean that melee has gotten better, adding something new does NOT make the flawed stuff go away I will take my time to explain how bad melee is with a rant.

As I've already mentioned melee has a Rock Paper Scissors type of system which I honestly can't get into because its been explained so many times so to not waste our time I'll samplify it by say it's bad, I play games because I want to enjoy myself not because I want to give myself a freaking migraine trying to figure out what this guys next move will be in .75 seconds and then come up with a counter plan for his next FIVE moves.... it's bad. I know there are skilled players who have found ways around that but they still have to follow the same rules they just make it easier to predict what's gonna happen which does not solve the problem of the fighting mechanics being a damn guessing game. That's why I was so excited for throws it's like one of the best features in the game that could make this game freaking excellent especially for strategy based players like me with shit luck!

However I can see what you guys are thinking "but what's the point we already gave them something that would spice up melee" well that's true I mean sure we have the new thing but we still don't have what we need to make melee not bad. IMHO this game is better then any other I've ever played and that's why I keep coming back to it even during the days I felt it wasn't as fun. Right now the games going through a transition between good and excellence, this game has high speed action, moments of suspense that's gets your adrenaline running, strategy based thinking and luck. The only flaw I can find in this game is the bad melee mechanics and the the bugs that need sorting out other then that this is a master peace of epic proportions that has yet to reach its full potential, I don't wanna see this game be that kid that had everything going for him but didn't take advantage of it because he thought he didn't need more then he already has, please I'm begging you make sfd a great not good.
11 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

Apocalyptic
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: bullet on target.
SFD Alias: |LPH| sexy chocolate
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.2.0/May 2013

Post by Apocalyptic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:47 am

Oh no! We want grabs! #letsgrabeachother

Joking, I really don't care about that.
Last edited by Apocalyptic on Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
The End is just the beginning.

Ultimate
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Ultimate » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:07 am

Apocalypse wrote:Yeah! Thanks God for this. #grabnomore
finally someone who knows whats up lmao, grabs would just be another thing to spam

thank GOD for no more grabs :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
0 x

Paviliono
Meatbag
Title: Host of DramaAlert
SFD Alias: Paviliono
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.3

Post by Paviliono » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:10 am

No, no, grabs need to happen. Ever since throwing melee has been A D A D and grabs will evidently complete it.
9 x
I am the greatest, better than Zere, anyway.

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 am

A D A D A D spam is a result of blocks having no good counter. If we could grab then I could just hold grab when someone wants to A D A D and catch them after being hit.

If anything it would limit spam and punish players that tried it.
11 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

Post by Danger Ross » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:44 am

Without grabbing it would be like playing Rock Paper Scissors without the scissors.
We have blocking which counters punching but we don't have a hard counter that counters blocking (which can be countered by punching).

I really want a clear response though. When you say grabs are canceled, does that mean you just decided not to work on the grabbing mechanic next and you're putting it off until later, or do you think that melee is complete as it is?
12 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Zyfex
SFD Q.A. Tester
SFD Q.A. Tester
Title: point collectin'
SFD Alias: Khnight
Started SFD: forever

Post by Zyfex » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:05 am

grabs sounded neat n seein more options on the table sounded even better
11 x
but in reality

Zere
Fighter
Fighter
Started SFD: 1.2.0

Post by Zere » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:25 am

Damn, most of us were so excited. Maybe you should reconsider it? New melee move sounded neat tbh
10 x
Men ;D

Relgap
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Relgap
Started SFD: 1000 bc

Post by Relgap » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 am

YOU WHAT??

*Edit: Really? Grabs were going to revolutionize the melee problem, they were actually going to be a step towards FIXING it. Why the hell would you cancel an idea with so much potential?
11 x
Big memes on the daily

Yopa
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The great cosmic christ
SFD Alias: Diablo Yoyoeho
Started SFD: 1.5.9

Post by Yopa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:27 pm

It's will cool, pitty is canceled. and the devs what you will say ?
5 x
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

NTN9
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Who am I?
SFD Alias: NTN9
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.2

Post by NTN9 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 pm

I think grabbing system will be the cherry on top of melee system. Without this close quaters 1vs1 fight don't so dynamicly, spectacular and cinematic, how it can be with grabbing system.
10 x

Scarface
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Scarface » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Why are you cancelling an idea that has so much potential? Grabs would complete the melee system and reward agressive gameplay.
10 x
Decisions, decisions.

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:10 pm

The melee system in SFD is really poor. The only thing you've got to do in melee is to spam with both A and D button. If you don't do this, then you have to find a way to defeat your opponoment if there is no possibility to use firearms.

The decision to add ability to grab the players (in future) could have been a breakthrough in upgrading melee system. What had we got? The message from developers that they cancelled to do that in the future updates.

Most of the players reacted negatively for that message. They have expected to get better melee, but they got only "backstabbed" by developers.

Why have you denied the opportunity to make something that probably would make SFD more popular in the environment of the players? We could have been happy because of the long awaited upgrade of the melee system, but we have just got dissapointed of that denial.

I don't say that the melee is shit, it's just very poor. You just have to spam with A and D button. If not, having a melee or makeshift weapon can actually be thrown, so you can gain an advantage in melee. I don't disregard the work you do, developers, but don't you think that the ability to grab would make the game better? Yes, the throws are good, but after some time, the players would be bored of the throwing ability and will play other games. I don't say they have to, but "throwing" isn't just have to be used in melee. What about the fight at a distance? The players could actually throw some things pretty far, so there's a possibility to fight with them at the distance.

So, please. Don't make the grab die without the possibility to see the daylight. Give it the second chance.
7 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Ideas and goals change over time as we develop the game and show work-in-progress. We feel that the melee is much more "alive" after the throwing and we don't feel the need for the grabbing in the same way anymore. As we said before: We don't think the idea was bad but we rather spend the time on something else.

The melee is more than just spamming attack and block for me. If players tend to always feel the need to spam some button then we can't do much about that. Try to wait for a split second before attacking or blocking or take a step back or roll behind your opponent or jump and hit him in the air or kick him or run to the nearest weapon and use that or throw something. SFD isn't a binary choice between only melee or only ranged, it's a combination of both. If someone host a melee-only map then they are basically only playing half the game ;)

We don't intended to add new "exciting" moves and abilities just to keep our players playing SFD all the time like some MMO. That's not our goal and we don't have the time.

We hope we share enough information to you so you don't feel left behind. We rather tell you if we decide to cancel some idea instead of remaining silent and then release the game. For us that's not backstabbing but rather showing you how SFD will evolve, what our current thoughts are and what we feel like doing.
Damn... everyone was talking about it and i was excited but now it got canceled....
Only about 10 users shared a post in this topic before we announced it cancelled. I can't say 10 is everyone :) Good it's further discussed now.
0 x
Gurt