Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Players can hit back without blocking when knocked down

All reported bugs that's actually by design.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Player1
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0

Players can hit back without blocking when knocked down

Post by Player1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Say you uppercut a player and they get back up while you're still attacking them. For some reason they wouldn't need to block or wait for the other player to stop attacking, they can just go through with their attack whether it be a sneaky throw, a punch back, or grab.

I don't know if it's by design because it's been happening for awhile now I just didn't know how to explain it. I've been in and seen multiple occasions where a player is attacking a down guyed, then they get up and throw a knife somehow while still being attacked.

or where I have hit a player down, and they get up while I'm still attacking, but then they still somehow just attack back without blocking.
0 x

Corporal Adrian Shephard
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Cpl Adrian Shephard

Post by Corporal Adrian Shephard » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:20 pm

I dont think this is a problem or a bug. This is the design of the game to probably prevent spam in melee.
1 x

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:34 pm

If I'm not mistaken, you can't get stunned when getting up, also if you knock someone down you have to crouch to continue landing punches, or the punches will miss.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:49 pm

This is by design to prevent "walling".
0 x
Gurt

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:27 am

Gurt wrote:This is by design to prevent "walling".
For this problem though, the player need only block. I don't know why this is still in the game when the player has all the tools necessary to get out of this type of situation.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:01 am

This is a horrible feature. As lunatic said, you only need to block to prevent " walling ", so this will only kill new players. But they should know how to block if they've played the tutorial. Worst part, the enemy has some time to shoot his gun when he stands up. So if he has any gun that knocks you down or maybe even kills you, you're fucked. Sure you can block, but he can get away then as people can walk while shooting.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:33 am

"the player need only block" is not always the case which caused the walling to be a problem. Especially with 2 or more players banging on you (and one or two wall-dives). This will give you a chance to get up on your feet and continue the fight if they just mash the attack button. You will still disarm someone as usual if you hit your opponent while he's preparing to shoot. The delay before shooting is very small so the timing here is important. Bottom line: Do not push anyone into a corner to try to wall them. (Walling has been a big problem in earlier versions in SFD and I'm happy that it's no longer a problem due to many adjustments, this one included).

Similar topic as seen here: https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... ling#p2800
Lunatic wrote:The problem with punching someone on the ground not applying stun times is that it's also making them get up instantly, which is the problem. Players mashing attack are struck while on the ground and get up instantly to swing after they've been hit. It's not about not being stunned, it's about rising instantly upon being struck.
The 'getting up instant' bug(s) has since been fixed.

All by design to prevent easy takedowns in corners.
0 x
Gurt

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Gurt wrote:"the player need only block" is not always the case which caused the walling to be a problem. Especially with 2 or more players banging on you (and one or two wall-dives). This will give you a chance to get up on your feet and continue the fight if they just mash the attack button. You will still disarm someone as usual if you hit your opponent while he's preparing to shoot. The delay before shooting is very small so the timing here is important. Bottom line: Do not push anyone into a corner to try to wall them. (Walling has been a big problem in earlier versions in SFD and I'm happy that it's no longer a problem due to many adjustments, this one included).

All by design to prevent easy takedowns in corners.
Getting pushed up against a wall and beaten down sounds like poor positioning mixed with bad melee choices. On top of that, we already have the new hitstun immunity that happens when you're hit too many times, so I feel like there's a lot of overkill here that gives too much to players who are being outplayed. I think walling was a bigger problem in earlier versions of the game where melee was faster and the hitboxes allowed you to hit someone while they were still on the ground - thus allowing you to pretty much do the strong hit before they could block or react. Now that melee is slower, it's much harder to get those hits in and players will have more room to block/protect themselves. Ignoring hitstun on the way up is a problem, and while they might not rise instantly any more as a result, iirc they still have enough time to get a hit in before you can go for hit two.

I mean, the current solution is wait half a second to hit so they couldn't retaliate but also for the stun, or you could do a much stronger grab. At this point, I believe "walling" has evolved - though it's not a problem like some might believe. When you trap someone in a corner, it's hard for them to escape. If you corner yourself and can't get out, don't blame the game - blame yourself for getting into the location or for not paying attention to your surroundings. You know not to camp near explosive barrels and fire, what makes this so different?
Gurt wrote:The 'getting up instant' bug(s) has since been fixed.
Though I can appreciate this.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)