Running SFD without needing an administrator privileges

All technical topics that have been answered in one way or another can be found here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
GreenJPEGsandRam
Meatbag

Running SFD without needing an administrator privileges

Post by GreenJPEGsandRam » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:51 pm

I'm using a shared computer now that my old one broke and my user is not that of administrator, so is it possible to somehow get rid of a file or something the rar so that an administrator is not needed? I know that this rids the feature of the game auto-updating, but I rather be able to play than be able to not to play.. yeah, I don't know where I was going with that. Anyway, it'd be really helpful to be able to remove that need for administrator privileges. Thanks and bye.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:49 pm

You might need administrator privileges if you run the launcher to update the game (read/write files to the installation folder). Running the game doesn't require administrator rights as that writes config files to your user's documents. Just make sure windows firewall isn't blocking communication if you want to play online.
0 x
Gurt

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Wait, you mean admin rights are not needed because the game saves configs (such as character profile and game default settings) in an user documents folder, which doesn't require admin rights? Because unless I run the game as admin, the game displays a red error message when I try to change my character profile or game settings. If I reset the game, it loads the old settings. This wasn't an issue a few months ago. Maybe it's a configuration with my documents folder privileges?

Edit: nevermind, I went to the SFD documents folder, and changed the user permissions in the config file and the profile file, allowing every PC user to modify those. Maybe my anti-virus changed those permissions.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:48 pm

It SHOULD be enough to have read/write rights to your SFD Documents folder.

We make it easy for us to simply say run the game as administrator and you will avoid a lot of trouble. :)
1 x
Gurt