Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

What Will "Hours Played" on Steam Look Like for Hosts?

All technical topics that have been answered in one way or another can be found here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Ab Hab
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Ab Hab
Started SFD: The year NBA 2K14 came out

What Will "Hours Played" on Steam Look Like for Hosts?

Post by Ab Hab » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm excited for the Steam release because now my friends will have no excuse to not download it.

Me, personally, I like to host my own server, and I imagine that I will continue to host after the game comes out on Steam. Now, there's this real keen feature on Steam that keeps track of how much time you've spent in a game or software, measured in hours. As such, I'm afraid I'll rack up an unreasonable amount of hours for Superfighters because I keep my dedicated server running ~24/7, and if the server window is run from the same program as the game, Steam will detect them as the same thing. Will this be a problem?
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 pm

Starting the server doesn't require steam, only the game files, so you could start the server directly from the installation folder and steam won't count your playtime.
4 x
Gurt

TheOriginalCj
Title: Lifetime Sentence to SF Wiki
SFD Alias: RedneckJed
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.0

Post by TheOriginalCj » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:24 am

Gurt wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 pm
Starting the server doesn't require steam, only the game files, so you could start the server directly from the installation folder and steam won't count your playtime.
Damn, for a second I was hoping it would actually make my top played games this way...
0 x
Superfighters Wiki Founder
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!
Danger Ross wrote: What are you doing here wiki-slave?! GET BACK TO WORK!

GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Post by GreenyShark » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:36 am

Will map making count as play time? Or will there be a button out of game to open the map editor?
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm

GreenyShark wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:36 am
Will map making count as play time? Or will there be a button out of game to open the map editor?
You can only access the editor by first launching the game - so the editor will count towards playtime.
0 x
Gurt