Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Sparklez (custom particles using api)

Give us your input on how we may improve the ScriptAPI in the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

Sparklez (custom particles using api)

Post by Danger Ross » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 am

It would be nice if we could have our own specific colors used in particle effects to work in our favor. I'm not saying we should be able to add new sprites, but rather so we can customize existing particles by changing the colors.

Originally i was just thinking there could be a basic pixel particle (that has its color defined) that flies off a point given with a velocity and mass. Doesn't have to have a large amount of particle types, but what's most important is that we can use a specific color in effects.

This has a lot of potential for maps or scripts that need an artistic touch of their own to create a specific theme to them. Color is also hard to achieve in standalone scripts, we can only rely on existing particles (and colorful profiles?). However, we do need the options for changing the particle's mass, velocity, and lifetime, with these settings we would have the ability to create some amazing stuff (think magic, lazers and fireworks!). This would be one of those great additions that is unlimited to the point of one's creativity.
9 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Kertenkele
Meatbag
Title: Kertenkele means lizard.
SFD Account: Kertenkele
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.8.4

Post by Kertenkele » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Also it would be cool if we could change our blood color.
(It can be nice for robot costumes)
0 x
Sorry for my English. :|

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Danger Ross » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:29 am

Kertenkele wrote:Also it would be cool if we could change our blood color.
(It can be nice for robot costumes)
Part of this kind of feature is that it would give us the ability to make players look like they leak that kind of blood.
Even if we weren't able to change blood color, we can still use custom particles in new and creative ways such as this.
0 x

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Danger Ross » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:26 am

bump

I also would like transparent particles of any color as well.
looking back on this, all we really need is the ability to create an effect with the parameters color, velocity, transparency and lifetime... possibly also mass to calculate the fall vector (although not necessary perhaps). the spawned effect would be a single pixel in width and height. I really want to see this in the game, so many opportunities await; with this we could potentially create entire objects out of pixels.
2 x