Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

[REQUEST] A script to re-enable debris collision with players

Custom scripts
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

[REQUEST] A script to re-enable debris collision with players

Post by KliPeH » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:17 pm

EDIT: The script was made thanks to @Ol1vver! Download it here.

---

Pre-Alpha Update 1.10.0 - also dubbed the Weapon Throwing Update, in which item throwing was introduced to the game - had one particular feature I really liked: little pieces of debris (such as wooden chips and metal shrapnel) physically colliding with players, staggering or disarming them as these pieces were being accelerated through the air by explosions or gravity. I suppose the problem players experienced with this change was that other players could kick buckets or other small objects in their face while brawling, stunning them and disrupting the flow of combat.

Over a year later, the change was reverted (Beta Update 1.0). While it may have not been very crucial to some, or even that well-implemented, the change made a lot of sense to me. Explosions did send things flying at pretty high speeds, only for the explosion shrapnel to do nothing. Hell, there was something oddly satisfying about kicking things in your opponents' face if you had no other options at the time, it just made sense as an extension of the makeshift weapon system where you grab random things around you and swing them at your foes.

I understand this feature will never make it back into the game, but I'd love to experience it again by using the script in my own personal lobby. These objects already exist in the game, I don't even need any velocity values tweaked; just the player collision for these small objects to be an ON/OFF toggle. Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to turn this into reality!
1 x

Ol1vver
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: olv
SFD Alias: olv
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.4
Post by Ol1vver » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:06 pm

1 x

Kawabanga
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Epic fails amateur.
SFD Alias: My name is Kawa-bbanggza!!
Started SFD: Late 2015
Post by Kawabanga » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm

@Ol1vver
Having seen, you've potentially delt with some old feature reverting, do you think you could bring back the FarBackground tiles to the dynamic state again?

Edit:
(Or find a walk-around method to do it.)
0 x

Ol1vver
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Ol1vver » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:20 pm

Kawabanga wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:07 pm
@Ol1vver
Having seen, you've potentially delt with some old feature reverting, do you think you could bring back the FarBackground tiles to the dynamic state again?

Edit:
(Or find a walk-around method to do it.)
One way to do it probably would be teleporting a FBG tile to an InvisibleBlockNoCollision every tick so you can "simulate" it being dynamic.
0 x

Kawabanga
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Epic fails amateur.
SFD Alias: My name is Kawa-bbanggza!!
Started SFD: Late 2015
Post by Kawabanga » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:35 pm

Interesting idea. I would have to group all tiles and teleport them just a bit, every second, or every bit of second (to keep an unglitched-for-an-eye flow). But this rises a question, does the game editor makes it possible to teleport a group of tiles in an endless manner, where x/y = +1 or -1 every unit of time?
0 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 pm

Ol1vver wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:06 pm
Here's my attempt: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2377711700
Holy shit, it works! Just interrupted my opponent's attack by kicking a bucket and a piece of table into them! Incredible! This is such a non-intrusive change I could not even tell whether the script was working or not until I was put into a situation where I needed it. This definitely goes into my auto-enable list.

I could not really figure out how to configure it, though. I couldn't find a list of objects this affected so I'm kinda hoping this affects all dynamic objects that go through players and make sense; metal shrapnel, giblets, computer monitors etc. Thanks again!

I took the liberty of adding an in-game description for the script following the devs' template; I do this with all the scripts I use. Feel free to add it to your version so players can see what the script does by writing /scripts into chat.
/*
* author: olv
* description: Makes dynamic objects collide with players.
* gamemodes: versus, custom
*/
EDIT: You do NOT want to touch the Streetsweeper rotor blades when using this script lmao
0 x

Ol1vver
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Ol1vver » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:57 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 pm
I couldn't find a list of objects this affected ...
Any newly created object containing the word "Debris" in it is automatically made a missile, and anything damaged by the specified damage types will be affected too.
1 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:20 pm

Ol1vver wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:57 pm
Any newly created object containing the word "Debris" in it is automatically made a missile, and anything damaged by the specified damage types will be affected too.
Does this mean if I'm using ObjectDamageType.Impact it doesn't matter whether the object is in the Debris category or not, it will still be affected? Cash registers, gas masks, giblets can all be used as missiles as long as I kick them at other players?
Off Topic
Your Keep Magazines script doesn't work, I couldn't comment on your Workshop entry but neither mags nor casings/shells are kept after they're ejected :(
0 x

Ol1vver
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Ol1vver » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:50 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:20 pm
Does this mean if I'm using ObjectDamageType.Impact it doesn't matter whether the object is in the Debris category or not, it will still be affected? Cash registers, gas masks, giblets can all be used as missiles as long as I kick them at other players?
If it was damaged, object isn't in blacklist and DamageType is allowed then it can be used as a missile.
Off Topic
KliPeH wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:20 pm
Off Topic
Your Keep Magazines script doesn't work, I couldn't comment on your Workshop entry but neither mags nor casings/shells are kept after they're ejected :(
I don't know why, but the script only works in the Map Editor. I do know about it, I just forgot to remove it from the workshop. Will do that now.
1 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:43 pm

@Ol1vver After playing with the script enabled for a couple of days I can report on the following (unintended) behavior:
  • Kicking a hanging crate holder turns it into a missile as advertised. Problem is, that missile is still attached to the hanging crate, meaning that you're getting hit for 0-1 damage every time the crate moves slightly. A good example for this is the hanging crate on Police Station which you'd otherwise use to swing back and forth in order to give yourself momentum to reach the police station building.
  • Fighting under a multi-level scaffolding soft-stunlocks you as 6 or 8 different moving parts fall on top of you and damage you.
  • Breaking a melee weapon sends sharp pieces of debris flying into your face, hitting you.
  • Diving into railings (which break down into 2-3 debris pieces) staggers you on impact, no longer making it possible to dive through railings unharmed.
  • Kicking or punching a Streetsweeper drone potentially turns it into a missile of its own, flinging you upwards if you get damaged by the rotor blades.
Most of this stuff can be fixed by adding exceptions to the object list, otherwise I believe that's just how the script behaves naturally. Thank you so much again, I no longer host games without having this script enabled.

EDIT: I made a short list of objects you can add to the default exception list to improve the default playing experience.
{
	"BambooStick00A",
	"BambooStick00B",
	"BambooStick00C",
	"BambooStick00D",
	"CrumpledPaper00",
	"HangingCrateHolder",
	"PaperBinder00",
	"PaperStack00",
	"Pulley00",
	"Pulley00Weak"
};