Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

To developers about /clean ping

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
[RU PVP]
Meatbag
SFD Account: Zid

To developers about /clean ping

Post by [RU PVP] » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 am

Hello.
Tell me, does anything /clean ping? Can this command fix the situation when the player with the highest ping creates lag for the entire server?
0 x

Dumby Eggy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: Huevon NEO
SFD Alias: Huevon SFD
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.8

Post by Dumby Eggy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 pm

That's a BIG OLD LIE. /clear command just reset all cheats in the game. It doesn't affect ping from other players.
0 x
HINT: You will not surprise me if you are good with snipers and magnums and katanas; but I will give my respect for someone who is a weapon-master. So don't wait any cheer marksmen...8-)

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm

A common misconception in SFD for some reason is that there's a /clear command. There's not.
Any command that's not recognized will simply be ignored. You can type "/clear" or "/clean my house" or "/tidy up my desk". None works.
You can type "/ping" to show your ping but that's it. Typing "/ping jeff" will still only recognize the first part "/ping" as a valid command (you won't ping jeff - whoever that is).
You can also type "/reset" to reset all current cheats active - but that's it.

What's probably happen is that you have less than 2 mbps of upload speed. Maybe you're experience high ping for everyone when there's 4 or 5 players playing.
See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=357
Gurt wrote:Right now I would say a minimum of 250 kB/s in upload is required when hosting for 8 players (custom maps might be more or less depending on content).

You can see current upload rate in SFD when hosting if you press F11. At the bottom you will see "Sent kB/s: ###". It will roughly increase with +25kB/s for each player joining. This is just an estimate and isn't exact.
250 kB/s rougly translates to ~2.0 mbps upload if my math is correct (if we include some overhead, packet loss and variations depending on what's happening in the game at least 2.5 mbps is more realistic). So you will hit a border at your current 1 mbps at around 3-4 players and then the throughput isn't enough - resulting in congestion and high ping for everyone!
2 x
Gurt

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:42 pm

This is probably in question to the old "/clear ping" that people seem to think does anything. There's a "/clear" command that resets cheats, and back in the day, you could type anything after it for fun. "/clear all the noobs from my server", "/clear jeff", "/clear bazookas", etc. If you were to type any of those commands in, all it would do is turn off cheats (aka infinite health, infinite stamina, starting weapons, and I think infinite slomo as well).

Simply put, there is no "/clear ping". There's just a "/clear" command. You can not lower ping via in-game commands. If you have bad ping, move closer to the host or get faster internet. There is no other way to lower your ping.
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

[RU PVP]
Meatbag

Post by [RU PVP] » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:29 am

Gurt wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm
A common misconception in SFD for some reason is that there's a /clear command. There's not.
Any command that's not recognized will simply be ignored. You can type "/clear" or "/clean my house" or "/tidy up my desk". None works.
You can type "/ping" to show your ping but that's it. Typing "/ping jeff" will still only recognize the first part "/ping" as a valid command (you won't ping jeff - whoever that is).
You can also type "/reset" to reset all current cheats active - but that's it.

What's probably happen is that you have less than 2 mbps of upload speed. Maybe you're experience high ping for everyone when there's 4 or 5 players playing.
See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=357
I am hosting several servers at the same time, the bandwidth and the Internet speed is maximum (100 Mbps), everything works fine. But if on my server(Survival for example) some players with ping above 300, then for everyone there can be lags, zombies can move in jerks.
If possible, I'll take it off the video ..
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 pm

Any player with high ping will not affect anyone else as it's individual connections. Your upload rate may only be up-to 10 mbps and your download rate may be up-to 100 mbps. This is commonly used by ISP. As you run several servers your upload rate may not be enough before congestion in your network starts to happen - affecting everyone playing on your sever. Even if someone joins in (which normally have 30 ping) the congestion may start and everyone will get 300+, 500+, 800+ ping. This has happened before for some users trying to host SFD.

Test your upload rate and compare it with all SFD servers running (numbers on the SFD servers are approximate and doesn't include possible overhead). See if you're within some margin.
0 x
Gurt

[RU PVP]
Meatbag

Post by [RU PVP] » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:02 am

Gurt wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 pm
Any player with high ping will not affect anyone else as it's individual connections. Your upload rate may only be up-to 10 mbps and your download rate may be up-to 100 mbps. This is commonly used by ISP. As you run several servers your upload rate may not be enough before congestion in your network starts to happen - affecting everyone playing on your sever. Even if someone joins in (which normally have 30 ping) the congestion may start and everyone will get 300+, 500+, 800+ ping. This has happened before for some users trying to host SFD.

Test your upload rate and compare it with all SFD servers running (numbers on the SFD servers are approximate and doesn't include possible overhead). See if you're within some margin.
Oh, sorry, was a mistake in my conclusions at the expense of "pingers". It turns out that the jerk of the movement was created by my program TeamViewer, which some moving objects can visually twitch.
Thank you for answers.

P.S.my speeds:
1 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Aah - so you used TeamViewer to remote your machine. Your upload speed is more than enough for several SFD servers and a lot of other applications. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
1 x
Gurt

[RU PVP]
Meatbag

Post by [RU PVP] » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Gurt wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm
Aah - so you used TeamViewer to remote your machine. Your upload speed is more than enough for several SFD servers and a lot of other applications. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Thanks for the reply :)

I have long wanted to suggest to introduce a VERY useful feature :
on my screenshot you can see that the tray has accumulated a lot of icons on the servers and at random it is difficult to choose necessary - they are shuffled when minimized to tray, and there is no clue about the server.
It would be VERY useful to have the distinguishing sign of each of the icons in the system tray - for example, the number of the server on the tray icon.

0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm

It would be VERY useful to have the distinguishing sign of each of the icons in the system tray - for example, the number of the server on the tray icon.
I have noticed it myself. I have some ideas to improve the tooltip but that's about it.
2 x
Gurt