Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Implementing an "Archieved Clans" section?

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Implementing an "Archieved Clans" section?

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi, so here comes my second post. :)

I have a suggestion to make regarding this forum. I read that "Auto Prune" was enabled in the clan section. This made sense to me, since we dont want to fill up the webpage with clans that no longer exist. But then i was thinking about how many "great big clans" we have lost over the years.
Then i came up with the idea of making a sub-category in clan discussion for all the dead/inactive clans - archieved clans. :idea:
This would be for the sole purpose of preserving a bit of SFD history, and for anybody in the future to look back upon. I sure am interested! I am aware that if i want to take a peak at dead clans, one can find plenty when diving back into the old forum, but i feel its kind off a hassle to switch between two forums. :arrow: :|
Look, i don't know if this forum has like a limit of how much data one can post, but if there isn't i see no problem on at least considering my idea.
Another easier solution would be to just insert a link directly to the old clan forum? "https://mythologicinteractive.com/forum ... FORUM_ID=6"

The reason why i posted this here, was because i did not feel it fit in with the other categories. Yes, it is an idea and suggestion, but not about the game itself, but about this forum. I didn't write this in general clan discussion either, because it does not have anything to do with a specific clan.

Thank you so much for reading. Have a nice day!
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Funny you should mention that, as the section does exist, it just serves an entirely different purpose for the Mods themselves. It is there, you just can't see it.

The thing about the auto-prune is that it doesn't just "hide" the thread like manual Mod deletion does ("soft-deletion"), it removes it from the database in its entirety ("hard-deletion"). As far as we're concerned (I personally was, and asked the devs about it too) there is no way to retrieve these threads after they have been removed by the auto-prune system. Our solution was to increase the time it took for the threads to be removed, that way we could know for sure which clans were active and which were inactive to a point where deleting them was feasible. On the one hand these threads are like a time capsule which shows the community's growth into maturity, on the other there is no real point to a "dead weight" section (essentially an entire section of useless threads) and we're worried it will cause unnecessary rule-breaking like bumping ("necro-posting"), thread revival in forms of new thread copies, and people fighting one another over thread/format copy or duplication. These are all things that happened on the old forum and we don't intend to let them happen again.

Either way, I'm afraid the view-ability of the old-clan section will have to stay that way for now because we preserve these topics to cross-examine information and employ it when we need it rather than simply looking back at it and admiring its existence. We could probably look into auto-locking old threads and moving them to a dedicated forum section of their own but honestly it's quite a lot of effort for not much gain so it's not high priority at the moment.
2 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:00 pm

Alright then,
I appreciate your reply, i was not aware that this feature allready existed for mods.
I guess if it's so much hard work to make this work, and such a pain to keep from collapsing in on itself by it's own community, it's for the better the way it is now. It saddens me that people are so ignorant and toxic. :cry: :(
Thanks again! :)
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png