Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

What is the point of Server Movement?

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Nebraska4
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Nebraska4
SFD Alias: Nebraskee
Started SFD: Early 2019
What is the point of Server Movement?

Post by Nebraska4 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:16 am

In my experience, server movement has been nothing but hell, I usually I just leave whatever server I get it in because it is usually completely unplayable in the game. So that made me curious; if it's so bad, why does it exist? I've never heard of someone actually liking it, so why was it implemented? And what does it do?
0 x
Well who knows

tilt56
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: tilt56
SFD Alias: tilt56
Post by tilt56 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:40 am

Server movment is the act of all of your movments being perceived on the server's side. In video games, there is the server, and the client. When an action is taken on the client's side, it has to be sent to the server, but there is a delay based on multiple things, such as location(ping) internet connection, and the server's ability to cope with a number of clients. Normally, the client can see what they are doing before it gets sent to the server, but with server movment, it goes straight to the server instead of having to go through the client's eyes per say. When the cleint sees the actions before it happens, it also sends another view on other clients *Before It Happens*. when the delay is finally met at the server's side, the client's view is already past that event. This is what causes those flops and teleports everywhere. With server movment, all of the actions happen on the servers side before the client sees the image taken out. This would make it so there is no delay from the client to the server, so there is no teleporting or flopping. Also I think server movment can be fun at times. It is like trying to play 90% on predicting what people will do.
2 x
Be Nice

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:49 pm

To quote myself from an older topic with the same question:
Gurt wrote: it's to "protect others" in the game from someone's high ping. Instead of you teleporting around for 7 other players (ruining their experience) you will have delayed controls and the other 7 players will see you smoothly run around (this assumes that the server runs well). No matter how we twist and turn things around to deal with high ping someone will always get the short end of the stick. It's the "lesser evil" with the problem of high ping and the direction we have chosen to go with.
2 x
Gurt