Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

New Weapon: Gauss Rifle

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
TheOriginalCj
Title: Lifetime Sentence to SF Wiki
SFD Alias: RedneckJed
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.1.0

New Weapon: Gauss Rifle

Post by TheOriginalCj » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 am

Ever like destroying things? I mean you play Superfighters Deluxe, and that must mean you like to destroy things. Pretty much every map has destruction elements in it and by that ideology, this means you like destroying things.

What does "Gauss" Mean?
Y'know Gauss, as an Carl Fredrich Gauss, a late 18th century mathmetician. Better known for his discovery in magnetism, particularly in how he was able to define magnetism (electromagnetism) in proportion to mass, charge and time.

Either that or you know Gauss from multiple games, particularly any futuristic FPS. Most games potray it correctly as a magnetically accelerated weapon that can accelerate a bullet to very high velocities (while some use it because the name is cool). Usually in cannon form, a Gauss Rifle will accelerate any bullet faster than even the market's current ballistic round. Using a combination of high voltage and ballistic propultion, the Rail Gun (Gauss Rifle) can instantly devistate targets without the need to lead them on or needing to take wind resistance, drag and even the Coriolis effect into account for your shot.

It's science fiction that we could very well be using in the near future. You may be asking, "Why should it be in Superfighters Deluxe?"

The answer is simple, sheer destructive force that can cause complete chaos. Now without further ado:

Gauss Rifle: (also called railgun)
(Sorry for lack of transparency)
Damage: 67 (30 to Objects)
Crit Chance: 100% (All players hit by railgun will stagger)
Clip: 1
Ammo: 2
Rarity: Ultra Rare
Special Effect(s): Requires shot to be charged before firing. Holding down fire will charge shot, if fire is released before full charge, charge will return back to zero. Fired shot instantly reaches end destination, emitting a visible trail. Shots landing nearby opponents causes them to stagger. Shots always penetrate objects and players (multiple players hit with a single railgun shot should trigger cinematic slow-mo), with a 1/3 chance to send a hit object flying.

Taking Charge of the Gauss Rifle
(Railgun charging, Red indicates shot is fired.)
The Railgun requires a charge, the charge phase has three steps, two priming steps and a third indicator step. The Indicator step will fire the projectile as soon as the step flashes. In addition to the visible flashing of the animation, there should also be a type of audible beeping, heard by all players.

Rack 'em up
The biggest (and really the most important feature) of the railgun is the ability for the projectile to deal collateral damage. This damage will go down in a step-wise fashion, dealing less damage, the more targets it penetrates. Player damage decreases by 11 per entity hit, while object damage goes down by 3 per entity hit. Entity being either the object or the player the shot collides with.
Ex. 1
1. Player Damage: 67
2. Object Damage: 27
3. Player Damage: 45
Ex. 2
1. Object Damage: 30
2. Object Damage: 27
3. Player Damage: 45

This is for balance, making it less destructive and alot easier to counter. You may recieve quite a bit of damage from the railgun, but you can use a few objects to cushion the blow.

Bullet Stagger?
Wherever the bullet ends up, players nearby are stunned, regardless if they rolled or just barely jumped the bullet. The reason for this is so that it's harder for enemies near the impact of the initial shot (and likely the intended target(s)) to run away or counter a railgun shooter right away. My reasoning for this is also the fact that the bullet moves at such a fast speed it sends a seismic shock to wherever it hits, definitely disrupting someone.

Objects and Corpses Everywhere!
The Gauss Rifle will provide a 1/3 chance of sending objects flying, meaning that the objects flung about by the railgun could cause damage, knock players around and even add extra damage onto a hit player.

Conclusion
In short, a direct way to instantly fuck up your target's day is a reasonable feature that I'm sure most players would appreciate. The railgun is not only appropriate, but also self-balanced. With the weapon's devastating power at the cost of speed, it's effective, but only if the user can use it properly. Effectively the Railgun can not only take enemies out collaterally and shoot enemies from behind cover at a distance, but it can also be a real intimidating force, comparable to the M60, Bazooka and Grenade Launcher.
3 x
Superfighters Wiki Founder
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!
Danger Ross wrote: What are you doing here wiki-slave?! GET BACK TO WORK!

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:41 am

Sounds good; anything that comes to mind when I hear "rail gun" has been already suggested in your post. How would it handle melee blocks though? Blocking a rail gun pellet(?) should break a melee weapon entirely, and stagger the blocking player. I guess it damaging them is also an option since you only get to shoot it twice. Make the damage received dependant on the blocking weapon?
1 x

EleventhSymbol
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Pixel Arts and Bullets
SFD Alias: SJTLIII
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.3.1
Post by EleventhSymbol » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:43 am

To me, Railguns don't really adhere to the psuedo-realistic tone of SFD, but I'm interested in what implications and applications can be made in-game if this was introduced.
0 x
Save the whales.

Scarface
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by Scarface » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:29 am

Good idea. Seems balanced and not OP.
When I looked at the title, I suddenly remembered Gauss/Tau cannon from Half-Life. http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Tau_Cannon
Gauss jumping with this weapon would be bad, because it would propel you to high in the air.
But you could charge it. I mean, hold the fire button for longer for bigger damage. Maximum time would be 9 seconds. If you didn't release the button within 9 seconds, Gauss would backfire and you would take 55 damage. Whether you release the fire button in time or not, there should be some knockback. Your character would ''slide'' backwards, but not stagger.
0 x
Decisions, decisions.

Kawabanga
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Epic fails amateur.
SFD Alias: My name is Kawa-bbanggza!!
Started SFD: Late 2015
Post by Kawabanga » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:13 pm

It's texture looks almost like a semi-automatic combat shotgun, awww.
0 x

Blast
Fighter
Fighter
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.3.1

Post by Blast » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:03 pm

So.. it will be officialy released or it's just a fan-made?
0 x
An eye for an eye doesn't leave the whole world blind.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Blast wrote:So.. it will be officialy released or it's just a fan-made?
If it was official it would be in the planned features forum, so no. Currently no plans for this kind of weapon.
0 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 pm

I dont think a futuristic weapon like this would look good in a game like superfighters.

Plus,if something as powerful as this would be added,I'd suggest to make it's spawn chances equal to the bazooka,and halve them both,because double the overpowered weapons,the double the possibilities of finding one. (Overpowered doesnt mean that they shouldnt be in the game)
Let's remember that usually a bazooka ends the match,and it's fun if it happens every now and then,but having the double of chances of something like this spawn would be too much.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Antwan
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Fighter (SPZ)
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Antwan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:40 pm

! Message from: KliPeH
As a result of a change in Rule #12, Antwan's separate topic ("New Gun: Railgun") has been merged into this one (TheOriginalCj's "New Weapon: Gauss Rifle").
Note that some of the replies past this post are directed at this suggestion rather than the one in the original post.
Description:

- When you pick it up, it will be in the handgun slot.
- It could be as powerful as the magnum.
- You will be able to shoot 7 lazers or so.
- It can destroy boxes in one shot and metal barels in 2 shots.
- It will be as rare as the M60.
- The lazer's speed when shot will go as fast as the sniper rifle.
- You reload after each shot like the Bazooka and the Flare gun.

( I was inspired by the game Box Head )
Last edited by Antwan on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
When I'm coming,YOU MOVE!!!!!!

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:37 am

How much ammo would it start off with? 3 shots before a reload? Would it be reloaded per mag like most guns, single shots like a flare gun, or load a certain amount in and load them one at a time like a shotgun?
0 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Antwan
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Antwan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:11 am

Lunatic wrote:How much ammo would it start off with? 3 shots before a reload? Would it be reloaded per mag like most guns, single shots like a flare gun, or load a certain amount in and load them one at a time like a shotgun?
Single shots like the flare gun.
0 x

TheOriginalCj

Post by TheOriginalCj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:02 am

I'm just... gonna leave this here...
http://www.mythologicinteractiveforums. ... ?f=9&t=112

I don't know why the repeated suggestions didn't make it onto this set of rules, but it really should have. I put much more effort into this suggestion than this user did.
2 x
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!

Antwan
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Antwan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 pm

TheOriginalCj wrote:I'm just... gonna leave this here...
http://www.mythologicinteractiveforums. ... ?f=9&t=112

I don't know why the repeated suggestions didn't make it onto this set of rules, but it really should have. I put much more effort into this suggestion than this user did.
Ok....I didn`t saw that topic.....and Hjarpe said it wasn`t in their plan. :x
0 x

TheOriginalCj

Post by TheOriginalCj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Antwan wrote: Ok....I didn`t saw that topic.....and Hjarpe said it wasn`t in their plan. :x
Don't worry about it, it's fine, it's not a rule as of right now so it's not really a big deal. Hjarpe said they weren't planning on something like that, but you never know, in the future they may consider it.
2 x
The Superfighters Wiki
Join the Wiki!