Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

New move: Wild deflection

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

New move: Wild deflection

Post by Lunatic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:55 am

I actually don't have a better name for the move, so it's also a description of sorts.

Deflection is a cool idea in concept. A player with good reflexes can block, an action that lasts a fraction of a second, and move damage taken from player to weapon. This can save your life quite easily, but the timing is very strict and the damage avoided is minimal unless you're blocking a magnum/sniper/maybe a shotgun (which will also deal massive damage to your weapon). As a result, trying to block an automatic weapon is only good for 1, maybe 2 bullets, before you get turned to swiss cheese. This addition would diversify interaction between melee and gunplay, while also adding a new way to deal with throwing weapons.

The idea is that if you hold block for the duration of the block you start to swing your weapon around wildly. This drains stamina quickly and can only be maintained (from full stamina!) for 2 seconds. While swinging wildly, all bullets are deflected and all thrown weapons/debris are also knocked away. If you stop deflecting early, you must wait before you can do it again for 2 seconds. The cooldown for a block also doesn't start to refresh until after you stop wildly swinging. While deflecting like this, you are NOT immune to melee hits, and you can still be grabbed. Getting hit while in this state should also disarm you. Once the move ends, you can't initiate it again until after you have at least 50 stamina, but you can initiate the move under 50 if you haven't used it, if that makes sense. Of course, any deflected bullets or objects would drain weapon durability at the base of 4 per deflection. Also, any bullets deflected like this should go mostly up or down, none should really go towards the shooter.

As an alternative, it could drain stamina slower to allow fighters to maintain it for longer with the tradeoff that any deflections will eat up stamina. I don't think this would be better since the act of doing it alone would really dissuade someone from shooting, letting the player stall for more time.
6 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

Isn't this made almost useless by covers? Any official/reasonable map has covers almost everywhere.
If somehow you find yourself in an empty side of the map against someone with an automatic gun,well,that's a bit your fault.

And as I said to someone else (I think?),deflecting a bullet should be something that actually takes skills,and gives you that "Dayum." moment.
Die Hard would be kinda meh if John McClane was always like "yeah I could do this all day,'ya know? I find no difficulty at all in saving the day and doing impossible stuff".
Yes,SuperFighters is obviously over the top,but it should have it's limits to make the actual "impossible actions" pop out of the mass.
3 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:31 pm

It's less of a "I counter all scenarios" type of move and more of a mixup. It drains stamina fast and doesn't last long so it's not something that will necessarily sustain the player. It's just a good move to have if you think someone is about to throw a weapon at you, so you can block and then hold it to cover yourself for a moment. It's also good to try and stay alive if someone starts shooting at you while you're out in the open. Since it drains stamina so fast it's not guaranteed to be a life saver since you won't be able to sprint to safety if whoever you're trying to block stops shooting for a second and you hold the move out.

We also can't effectively block off automatic weapons, and just regular blocking as it is will be both safer for the blocker (since you get to keep all your stamina in case you need to run or something). Adding interaction between melee and gunplay will diversify the game more and make each feature of the game feel more dynamic.
1 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:14 pm

aaa Let me see if I got it
like this? or this
1 x
Just me The Predator!

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:18 pm

If we were able to swing while running or sprinting, this wouldn't be very necessary. We could run towards someone with a katana, swinging and deflecting a few bullets, rolling and diving.
2 x
Hold your breath.

M_M_M
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: soopreeme groundpood
SFD Alias: MMM
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by M_M_M » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:58 pm

Add it as a power-up instead and extend the duration to 3 seconds. Being able to deflect everything coming at you sounds like more of a bad-ass moment that happens rarely, not something you can do from the get-go.
7 x
hello yes

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:14 am

People want a running attack added into the game, but for now we'll have to settle for throwing :<
Not that throwing isn't cool mind you
0 x

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:00 am

Being able to swing while sprinting wouldn't fix the issue at hand lmao. The move I proposed is to give a dynamic answer to automatic weapons. Attacking is also incredibly slow and the reflection move is only active for a fraction of a second, which means that you'll be riddled with holes before you reflect one, maybe two shots, then go back to getting pelted.

The idea is more like your second gif, Shark, but you can't move while doing it.
2 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

btelchi
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: . . .
SFD Account: @btelchi
SFD Alias: I've got plenty
Started SFD: PreAlpha
Post by btelchi » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Nice idea tho. I can block snipers, magnums and outher crap, but those lucky M60 kiddos always killed me easiely.
0 x
Join our agency today. Copy AAT ayy
https://discord.gg/rB3GgCt
America is a tune, it must be sung together.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:52 pm

The block is temporarily and is by design. If the block can be prolonged it would be too easy to block (many) bullets from automatic weapons and even easier to block single-shot weapons and give you time to reset your dive/roll while being shot! Approaching players with automatic weapons should always be risky - no matter your equipment.
This prolonged/extended block works much better as a temporarily powerup given that you could move while using it. Or like a special weapon like the chainsaw (see viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18).
0 x
Gurt

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 am

You could put rolls on cooldown following the prolonged block. The move still drains your stamina rapidly and can leave you wide open after the move since you will then be unable to sprint. Currently, blocking bullets is very narrow and leaves automatics to reign supreme over basically every form of combat. This move would be great to mixup your defensive options and make players think more about shooting - do I try to shoot him the second I see him, or wait for after his block? What if he extends it? Either way I still think a better way to at least deal with players throwing things at close range would be nice.

I wouldn't be against seeing this a powerup, though I'd still rather see more default moves. Being able to walk while blocking like this would definitely be good for powerup functionality.

Also, never discredit the advantage a melee weapon gives you over fists. Range and damage are HUGE in a fight and you can easily keep someone out with a machete or longer, no worries about getting blocked since they can't hit you at that range. This is important since you could theoretically break a weapon by pelting it enough times. A weapon's durability is a big factor in this regard and gives melee users more to think about in these situations.
1 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)