Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Short delay for throwing weapons

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Short delay for throwing weapons

Post by Splinter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 am

My suggestion is to add a really short delay for throwing weapons, like the small delay for punching, which is like 150ms or something? It would be almost imperceptible in normal gameplay but in slow motion situations it would be a good thing in my opinion. Right now, throwing weapons are almost instantaneous, even in slow motion, making it hard to block in point blank range.

If I use slowmo, I can see a punch coming and quickly react to that and block, which is an advantage of using slowmo, but the same is way harder to do against throwing weapons, so the enemy can juke/bait out your block and then throw.

Check out this gif below, I can throw a knife in the middle of the CPU's combo, because it's way faster than a punch.
http://gph.is/2oK01vD
1 x
Hold your breath.

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 am

While I see the problem with this combo and other moves that are impossible to predict (glares at dive into slam), I feel the instantaneous nature of throwing weapons is what saves the move from being completely obsoleted in close quarter combat. Switching to throw mode already has a significant delay, a delay that oftentimes not only isn't registered properly when executing other moves (especially in 100+ ping servers), but loses you significant time that would otherwise be used to stop a person from escaping or picking loot up before you do. If you're going to introduce yet another cooldown I suggest getting rid of the current switch-to-throw delay entirely.
0 x

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:34 pm

The issue with throwing is that it deals a lot of damage (especially with basically any sharp weapon) while also being stupid fast. It's hard to predict, it beats rolls, and it's only counter is a very short-term defensive block (which can be baited out and punished mercilessly). If attacking were faster, we could maybe punch things out of the air better, but that's not really an option right now.

Nerfing throws would be beneficial for CQC throwing weapon bullshit, but I also fear it will ruin the flow of using regular throwables (like mines/mollies/etc). If a throwing speed reduction is introduced it would need to be limited to just throwing weapons. Either way... I agree that throwing is too strong, especially due to it's speed, but as much as I'd like to nerf it, we really can't do that without completely ruining the flow of the game in all other aspects.

I think making it so that being hit with melee put a small cooldown on throwing would be enough. as that would stop players from interrupting others with a throw between attacks. If it's enough to stop that but not enough to stop someone from using slomo to then throw between attacks (since the slomo user can react faster!) it would balance out the move in these issues while not ruining the flow of using throwables and keeping them relevant in all other scenarios.
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)