Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

REVAMP Fire

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

REVAMP Fire

Post by Danger Ross » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Fire damage is just plain annoying. NOBODY I know likes fire, except for how it looks (nice job Hjarpe). But I'm proposing fire should be more of an obstacle that makes areas dangerous to cross. I want people to worry about stepping on fire, because at the moment, nobody cares and most people just forget it's there, causing them to catch fire unnoticed.

Changes:
-max fire level should take 1.5x as long to reach for the player
-the ORIGINAL max fire level and second to max fire level damage is split with passive fire damage from burning tiles
-standing in fire damages you a small bit every 300 ticks (passive damage). Entering and leaving fire does that damage to the player each time (so it should no longer be as effective to hop in fire)
-falling fire also does the "passive" damage on contact
-rolling or diving in fire will NOT put out fire whatsoever, and it has to be done on clear ground. If part of the roll is outside of the "fire boundary" then it still counts

These changes are intended to make fire more hazardous and less of a background cosmetic that happens to interact. New fire mechanics would inspire new methods of using fire as a weapon. for example, trying to trap people in a room filled with fire to do as much DPS as possible, or using the flamethrower ammo to coat a map in flame in order to poke at everybody's health.. The damage that fire does passively is up to interpretation. I personally think 2 damage would be enough but it's whatever Gurt decides is balanced.
Last edited by Danger Ross on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.
4 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 pm

This is an interesting idea. By making fire deal damage every time you contact it, it is effectively denying entire areas immediately instead of just denying camping. While it's odd to say fire is annoying and then proceed to suggest a much more annoying version of fire, I quite like what this could bring to the table in terms of limiting what I see now - people hopping through fire and coming out unscathed, rolling in said fire if they ever catch. Would definitely need some damage tweaks.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Well,it's a perfectly fine idea.
This would probably need a small ammunition nerf to the flamethrower and the molotovs,but otherwise it's a great suggestion.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Danger Ross » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 am

Lunatic wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 pm
While it's odd to say fire is annoying and then proceed to suggest a much more annoying version of fire...
When I called fire annoying I meant it in a sense that it's underwhelming. I'm suggesting an overall buff to fire in mechanics that would perhaps upgrade it from annoying to dangerous.

That doesn't mean it has to do more damage though, but it should provide more risk to think about.
(I agree, how much damage it deals needs tweaking)
Lunatic wrote:
This is an interesting idea. By making fire deal damage every time you contact it, it is effectively denying entire areas immediately instead of just denying camping.
Del Poncho wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm
This would probably need a small ammunition nerf to the flamethrower and the molotovs,but otherwise it's a great suggestion.

Molotovs would do a fantastic job of forcing campers to move, as a direct hit from a molotov would require the player to sprint to safe ground away from the pool of flame to put it out.
(but hopefully grenades would still do more overall damage)
0 x

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:17 am

Danger Ross wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 am
Lunatic wrote:
While it's odd to say fire is annoying and then proceed to suggest a much more annoying version of fire...
When I called fire annoying I meant it in a sense that it's underwhelming. I'm suggesting an overall buff to fire in mechanics that would perhaps upgrade it from annoying to dangerous.

That doesn't mean it has to do more damage though, but it should provide more risk to think about.
Lunatic wrote:
This is an interesting idea. By making fire deal damage every time you contact it, it is effectively denying entire areas immediately instead of just denying camping.
Fire is already extremely dangerous though for example if you find a flare you could use it to set someone on fire then beat them to death really quickly. Flamethrower dominates most games since it does continuances damage which can mostly dominate any playing field. Flamethrower has its own set of demerits like making chasing other players a pain while using it. Sure people forget about it but that's cause it's sometimes unnoticeable, like even a speck of fire from a broken chair could light you on fire it's mostly the player's fault for being unattentive. I will admit I would like to see fire as an obstacle instead of a weapon but if that doesn't work I'd at least like it if they had some kind of warnings like smoke coming from the burning end of players clothes or small noticeable fire spirits around the player, maybe that would make it less annoying.
Last edited by [Failman] on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 am

[Failman] wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:17 am
Danger Ross wrote:
Lunatic wrote:

Lunatic wrote:
Fire is already extremely dangerous though for example if you find a flare you could use it to set someone on fire then beat them to death really quickly. Flamethrower dominates most games since it does continuances damage which can mostly dominate any playing field if you with its own set of demerits like making chasing other players a pain while actually using it. Sure people forget about it but that's cause it's sometimes unnoticeable, like even a speck of fire from a broken chair could light you on fire it's mostly the player's fault for being unattentive. I will admit I would like to see fire as an obstacle instead of a weapon but if that doesn't work I'd at least like it if they had some kind of warnings like smoke coming from the burning end of players clothes or small noticeable fire spirits around the player, maybe that would make it less annoying.
What he means is that he thinks fire should actually act like fire should and block passages through the map while it's there, and have fire do absolute damage straight away rather than having to wait until the player catches on fire, making strips of fire impassable without taking damage.
0 x

[Failman]
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Failure of memes
SFD Alias: Chuckmagaden, Chuck, or random
Started SFD: Before pants

Post by [Failman] » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Pricey wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:56 am
[Failman] wrote:
Danger Ross wrote:
I would like to see fire as an obstacle instead of a weapon....
What he means is that he thinks fire should actually act like fire should and block passages through the map while it's there, and have fire do absolute damage straight away rather than having to wait until the player catches on fire, making strips of fire impassable without taking damage.
I know what he means, But I didn't elaborate on what he meant. I just want people to think before they go jumping into making changes, should this really be changes or does it work well? Personally I find fire very dangerous and only slightly annoying. I mean have you seen how much damage a flamethrower can do? Especially when you actually conserve instead of spray? If we gonna suggest changes then we gotta do it right!
0 x
Sorry for any errors(so much FAIL)

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Danger Ross » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:24 am

[Failman] wrote:

Fire is already extremely dangerous though for example if you find a flare you could use it to set someone on fire then beat them to death really quickly. Flamethrower dominates most games since it does continuances damage which can mostly dominate any playing field. Flamethrower has its own set of demerits like making chasing other players a pain while using it. Sure people forget about it but that's cause it's sometimes unnoticeable, like even a speck of fire from a broken chair could light you on fire it's mostly the player's fault for being unattentive. I will admit I would like to see fire as an obstacle instead of a weapon but if that doesn't work I'd at least like it if they had some kind of warnings like smoke coming from the burning end of players clothes or small noticeable fire spirits around the player, maybe that would make it less annoying.
The "fire" you're talking about is weapon power, as in the attack rather than the fire that comes from weapons (while it happens to use fire mechanics). The flamethrower is only powerful because it's able to set someone on max fire just by pointing at them, but that's another story.
The reason why this change makes fire more "noticeable" is because it makes it feel more "dangerous" as it does constant damage on contact, which is something most people don't ignore, pain.

This post is specifically targeting the fire that lies on the ground and how it affects players.
[Failman] wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:33 pm

I know what he means, But I didn't elaborate on what he meant. I just want people to think before they go jumping into making changes, should this really be changes or does it work well? Personally I find fire very dangerous and only slightly annoying. I mean have you seen how much damage a flamethrower can do? Especially when you actually conserve instead of spray? If we gonna suggest changes then we gotta do it right!
If anything this would be a NERF to flamethrowers, since the amount of damage fire does passively would be divided from the damage that fire would do while eating at players. The damage that comes from passive fire damage (dealt by burning furniture) wouldn't even affect players who are trying to run away (making running from flamethrowers more effective at reducing damage taken).

This would inspire new methods of using fire as a weapon. for example, trying to trap people in a room filled with fire to do as much DPS as possible, or using the flamethrower ammo to coat a map in flame in order to poke at everybody's health..

(updated original post)
Last edited by Danger Ross on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Magitek
Meatbag
Title: Cursed for Eternity
SFD Account: GriegoMamey
SFD Alias: GriegoMamey / Richter Belmont
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.6.0

Post by Magitek » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:53 am

That is the best suggestion, I've ever seen. Making the terrain on fire more of a hazard, rather than putting you on the max level of fire will keep a chance to escape the flamethrower.
0 x
Sample Text