Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Water dynamism

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Water dynamism

Post by Noble » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 am

I wonder if the reelaboration of water in the game are even going to be a thing. It actually is used as gib area in officials (Canals is a good example), it has a solid color and I'm not sure if this will ever change, but I wanted to point out some cool aspects of redeveloping the water.
  • Swimming, that's so f* fun. My superfighter must as well know to swim and dive during a match.
  • It would have a different appearance, a bit transparent so the one in can see what's around him. Maybe the one out can't see what's going if he isn't touching the water, uh? Like it gets darker.
  • Like fire, which are particles I think, the whole water system would be different, opening up brand new possibilities like for new items as extinguishers. Can't you imagine how cool would be the water slowering you, the splashes around (I'm obviously not thinking of something too complex, that's just somehow feasible).
  • A piranha/shark in the water, substituting the gib proposal, they could deal good damage.
  • A new mechanic related to the players movement in the water, according to the devs will. There are many ways for that to be made. Maybe the water can slow you down and other.
What I posted above was just me giving random and unrelated (with each other) suggestions for that idea. I know how difficult creating a new game element can be (that's like, absurdly). I just wanted to show you all that point of view and possibility (for a really far time, maybe), feel free to post negative/positive aspects or tell your opinion about any kind of water related update.
9 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am

Swimming is a fuck yeah addition, but not much official maps have water tho. canal's water space is very little. Maybe they could release a map based on water. a map where swimming is essential and there are sharks or piranhas like u proposed. Anyway, this idea seems to be good, the only problem is, this is too much work for the devs lol
1 x

Merchant
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Your average white man
SFD Account: Merchant
SFD Alias: (LM) Merchant
Started SFD: December 2012

Post by Merchant » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Swimming is the feature that has been missing from the beginning, atleast i think so. But the problem is, like Sree already said, not much maps have that much swimming-space.
So i think the best solution is to just add regural water (you'll be able to swim in it) and if you don't want your map to have a swimmable-water,
you can just add gib area to the water.

For example,
maps like fairground should have swimable water

also, more specifications would be nice
for instance, does swimming take energy, if so how much?
are there going to be different swimming modes? like fast-swimming, slow-swimming
etc

Shortly, i think swimming would be really interesting feature
3 x
You heard of Hell, well, I was sent from it
I went to it, servin' a sentence
For murderin' instruments
Now I'm tryin' to repent from it
But when I hear the beat, I'm tempted
To make another attempt at it; I'm Infinite - Eminem

Danger Ross
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Dangerous
SFD Alias: Danger Ross
Started SFD: 14 june 2012 (launch day)

Post by Danger Ross » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:27 am

Sree wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:41 am
Swimming is a fuck yeah addition, but not much official maps have water tho. canal's water space is very little. Maybe they could release a map based on water. a map where swimming is essential and there are sharks or piranhas like u proposed. Anyway, this idea seems to be good, the only problem is, this is too much work for the devs lol
This isn't too much work for the devs if it's their job lol.

I suggest adding some kind of pooling area marker, that allows water to move from one area to another and build up in the pooling area. Say a tile breaks and lets loose the dynamic water; if it falls into the pooling area it can create another body of water there.
1 x
sorry bucko, you can't punch with swords 8-)

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:01 pm

This would be nice. It would add the possibility for water based maps, such as The City of Atlantis. It would also lead to the addition of swimming gear cosmetics; I mean who wouldn't want to run around in Scuba gear? It would be nice to have some fresh gameplay.
1 x
-Evilsack

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Kice wrote:This isn't too much work for the devs if it's their job lol
At first, it's not their job. They are doing this on their own free time. Appreciate it, give them some own time.

Secondly, I'd love the water utility thingy. Maybe the fighter starts taking damage when he runs out of stamina, and he'll lose it all the time he spends underwater. Also the player could maybe change the sprite like in super Mario when he enters water? Like, swimming front side down and back up, moving hands to the side. Weapon wielding should be restricted, or at least prevent swimming.
1 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Motto73 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 pm
Maybe the fighter starts taking damage when he runs out of stamina, and he'll lose it all the time he spends underwater.
Yeah, it's better than creating a new thing for that, making use of an actual mechanic.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Maybe if there was another type of water, "clear water", where players could swim. This one looks polluted by sewers, like in Police Station, where you can see sewer pipes. It would be fun if there was a campaign where you had to swim for a bit to reach an enemy base :p
2 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:00 am

Superfighters are dense musclepacks of power. Their density makes them sink like stones in water. The water is also highly toxic so you dissolve within seconds.

Water (and acid) is used to prevent players from leaving the map in some scenarios like in Fairgrounds and Police Station. SFD isn't designed with swimming in mind and is not something we will add as we don't see it adding any gameplay value to this game.

We have thought about letting shallow water (like in High Noon - water up to your waist) put out fire though.
6 x
Gurt