Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Bring back fast paced gameplay

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Sparkz
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Cluelessly Reckless
SFD Account: Thunder Sparks
SFD Alias: Zap
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.1

Bring back fast paced gameplay

Post by Sparkz » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:24 pm

I just download v.1.2.1 from (LM) Lunatic's post about the old version legacy etc. i played the game and it seemed really different from the version we have right now. Old version is really simple. it has fast rounds and not much complexity in melee, grab and stuff. It just gives the superfighters feeling.
There is more concentration on gunning and less on melee. the new SFD is just now all about crates and melee. Now there is not much emphasis on keeping the game's simplicity. But i don't have any big ambitions on doing this when it has come so far now i mean the deluxe version is waaay too different from the flash game "superfighters".

i'm not saying like this must be done i'm just saying this in my opinion i know other people think differently and the creators won't agree this at this point
just read and reply what you think about the old and new versoin
Last edited by KliPeH on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged a double post.
0 x
work work work can't relax

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:43 pm

That's the way the game evolved, and I think it plays to its unique strengths. The early versions had fast-paced combat partly because the environments were completely static, there wasn't much going on. Now we have dynamic environments, and you need to worry about a lot more things that can kill you, hence things are slower so you have more time to react.

We can't steer anywhere but towards our ultimate vision of what the game should be, and that's what we're doing. There's plenty of fast-paced 2D shooters, but few with such a high level of emergent gameplay and player-created chaos.
6 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:23 am

The game never had been just crates and melee. At least for me the dynamism seemed always balanced at all points of the game: New items and mechanics; a more 'complex' but fast melee; gunning, very balanced with melee, mainly for those who experienced many situations; acessories brings us more chaos and finally all kind of luck tests (percentages, like crits).

The actual game don't lose in anything to the older versions, but everytime when I play 1.2.1 I obviously love it, as it is something different and way more simple, where competitivity isn't as important as having fun.

Well, I guess we are always in seek of variation and new stuff, so something looks always cooler when we remove some mechanics and the same when we add complexity to it. The fast-paced gameplay may be cool but the actual game is fun as well and I don't think bringing old game's stuff will make the game better, but you can always download past versions when you are willing to play them.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Sparkz
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Cluelessly Reckless
SFD Account: Thunder Sparks
SFD Alias: Zap
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.1

Post by Sparkz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:07 am

I agree with that. i think its just my problem i think that new version has diverse gameplay but at the same time it makes it more difficult to master it. more variations is fun and good for the game but it's getting harder to play because there's too much competition. i'm just trying to learn the game and now i just play it to become better, not have fun.

the PRO people (whatever you call them rekters, pwners, pros etc.) maybe be laughing about competitive SFD but my statement applies to new people who will play the game when it gets popular. (actually its getting alot)

Anyway, its the universal rule. development can't be stopped. what is created must be destroyed at a point. If i think the other way about the updates they are actually good as it brings something new. Otherwise people would get bored playing the same version.
0 x
work work work can't relax

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:30 pm

I prefer the old game's fast-paced gameplay because it is more competitive. There are different things for the player to pay attention to (like fall distances before you tumble vs where I can stall midair with attacks to avoid fall damage, weapon spawn points vs where the best places for map control are, what weapons enemies have and your ability to react to things quickly). With quickdaw being a very easy tactic, players can pull a gun on you pretty much instantly and it's up to you to react to this before you take a bunch of damage. There's no kneel after attacks so players can use jump attacks with no huge drawback, making them more useful vs what we have now, where it's stupid risky to try without cancelling the cooldown.

There are a lot less mechanics to use (ledgegrabs, grabs, deflections, throwing, mines/c4, other weapons, balanced/varied melee weapon options) but honestly it was a total blast just due to the fast-paced gameplay and how easy it was to switch between gunning and melee. I still wish the current version was fast-paced like good 'ol 1.2.1. At least now I can claim I prefer the current version over the old, but there's one big thing I really miss.

C L I E N T S I D E
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 am

We all clearly have different reasons of what we want to see in this game,and I honestly apreciate the "slow",if we can call it that way,pace of the game.
To me,this game was never all about incredible reflexes and muscle memory,but more about it's hollywoodian appeal and situations.
It's not about killing someone in a normal fight,there are plenty of games for that.
The game is about being the coolest,most 90's acting guy. Use the physics of the game,something that almost no other game gives you the chance to use.
Why would I want to simply karate-chop someone to death,when I can dangle on a crate and make it fall through a building's rooftop to,possibly,crush someone with it.
And as that swedish guy that's all about skulls said,all of this is impossible with the pace of the older versions.
2 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.