Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Adrenaline Injection

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Adrenaline Injection

Post by StarNord » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 pm

It's quite frustrating when you get into a melee fight and aren't able to run away from or after an opponent.

You know what would help with that... an adrenaline injection! It would take the place of a slomo and when activated, give you a boost of energy to chase after or run away from an opponent, allowing you to regain the upper-hand in an otherwise hopeless situation and it'll add the much needed diversity to the 5th slot(which is only reserved for the 5 sec slomo and the 10 sec slomo at this time)

Okay, maybe the idea might sound a bit unfair, fortunately i've come up with a few alternatives for the ones who need more options to accept the idea

Instead of giving you energy it halts it for 10-5 seconds(and maybe have 2 versions of it just like the 10 and 5 sec slomo), meaning you won't lose or gain stamina and once the effect is over you'll be back to the energy level that you had when you activated it, allowing it to be used both for when you have no stamina and when you have full but just want to halt it for some damned reason i can't possibly comprehend...

And maybe it'll take time to apply so it'll only be usable to chase after enemies and maybe give you a small speed boost?
But I grind my teeth to the thought that THIS alternative will only cater to the "scrubs" of the SFD community, especially the ones who scream pronouns like "RUNNER" everytime you try and use an opportunity to escape a hopeless situation.

i'm curious what lunatic has to say about this idea, since i came up with it because of this post by him
8 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm

When it comes to adding powerups, I like it when they have more than one intended use. A speedboost powerup would probably be the best thing that could happen to SFD in terms of adding new items.

A speedboost could easily:
-Chase a running player
-Escape any bad situation
-Dash through a minefield/open area being shot at, while dodging explosions/bullets
-Perhaps even use the speed to navigate the map in ways that are unique to the speedboost (Jumping to a ledge you couldn't normally reach)

Adding a "get out of jail free card" would definitely anger the """pro melle""" players in the community at first, but I'm sure they'd be happy to see it since they can just as easily use the powerup themselves to chase other players. Overall I think SFD is due for a speedboost powerup and we're likely to see a few additions to the 5th slot before the game is fully released. I hope this is one of them.

EDIT: So yeah when I first read this I saw the smalltext "speedboost" and instantly just thought this would be the best thing for the adrenaline boost. Infinite stamina for a short duration would be an added benefit but shouldn't be the main focus of this item since it alone won't do much for the player.
8 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 am

This would put ' run n gunners ' at a ridiculous advantage with the speed boost. moreover, this speed boost can be an excellent way to escape from a critical situation, but at the same time, imagine a situation where you manage to escape from a fight without any speed boost and then the guy who was fighting you activated this speed boost and started chasing you?

I would rather recommend something that gives you 50 % or more chances of dodging a bullet or melee attacks for 3 - 5 seconds? this can provide you a brilliant escape as well.
0 x

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm

the speed boost is just a sub-idea(intended to sell the main idea) the main idea is to give the player a burst of energy(the game's way of referring to stamina) and/or halt it.

it doesn't necessarily have to give the player a speed boost, only halt energy consumption or give an energy boost so that the user can perform evasive maneuvers or chase a fleeing opponent without slowing down to recover stamina(energy)

a dodge powerup sounds cool but diving already has that covered(diving has a 60%-80% chance to dodge bullets I think...) and the adrenaline boost could possibly overcome the diving cooldown if the devs not only add it to the game but are also generous enough to turn off the cooldown when the powerup is activated making a dodge powerup not as versatile and not as needed.
1 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm

StarNord wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm
(diving has a 60%-80% chance to dodge bullets I think...)
Diving grants you a 90% chance to dodge bullets. You can find this information in-game (a brief loading tip about being able to dodge 9/10 bullets with a dive or a roll).
2 x

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Sree wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 am
This would put ' run n gunners ' at a ridiculous advantage with the speed boost. moreover, this speed boost can be an excellent way to escape from a critical situation, but at the same time, imagine a situation where you manage to escape from a fight without any speed boost and then the guy who was fighting you activated this speed boost and started chasing you?

I would rather recommend something that gives you 50 % or more chances of dodging a bullet or melee attacks for 3 - 5 seconds? this can provide you a brilliant escape as well.
Running and gunning is inevitable. Speed doesn't mean they're immune to attacks. It means you have to adapt to it, eg. play defensively until their ammo runs out, scavenge for weapons, etc. I think a speedboost should lower traction, this would force players to run carefully and not just blitz around.
1 x
-Evilsack

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Why wouldn't you want a speedboost? Because players can run away with it? You can just as easily chase them with it! You can use a speedboost for so much more than getting away. I can only imagine how oppressive melee would be if you got on top of someone and then continued to chase them down, since they couldn't get away at all.

Overall, I vote for a speedboost with bonus infinite stamina.
3 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Sree » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:58 am

and I can only imagine how stupid melee would be if you manage to catch up with someone and before you hit him, he just activates his speed boost and gets away with a ridiculous movement speed and guns you down from distance. right now, guns and melee is balanced enough right now and doesn't depend much on luck. with this new speed boost thing, luck will be getting it's chance to determine who should get a boost in speed and who shouldn't.
0 x

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 am

Sree wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:58 am
and I can only imagine how stupid melee would be if you manage to catch up with someone and before you hit him, he just activates his speed boost and gets away with a ridiculous movement speed and guns you down from distance. right now, guns and melee is balanced enough right now and doesn't depend much on luck. with this new speed boost thing, luck will be getting it's chance to determine who should get a boost in speed and who shouldn't.
>guns
>melee
>balanced
2 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Sree » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm

You're only being sarcastic because you don't know how to counter, and I am not going to explain how either.
0 x

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:42 pm

A speedboost could also have a handful of disadvantages, if the speedboost is tiny then activating it while an opponent is far far away wouldn't help much, and on the other hand, if the speedboost is powerful then it'd be kinda tricky to use it effectively without accidentally jumping too far and subsequently flying off an edge or hitting a wall a bit too hard... And if you activated the speedboost and tried to dive maybe instead of diving you'd slide across the ground like this guy(finnaly, wikihow was useful for something).

And i suppose no one has a problem with the infinite stamina thing? Hmm... I really thought that would be more controversial.
KliPeH wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:21 pm
Diving grants you a 90% chance to dodge bullets. You can find this information in-game (a brief loading tip about being able to dodge 9/10 bullets with a dive or a roll).
Ah thanks, I remembered that loading tip but didn't want to confirm it since there are 2000 of them and i didn't want to go through all of them just to never find it or miss it completely.

90% is pretty powerful that would certainly make a dodge powerup obsolete wouldn't you say Sree?
Last edited by StarNord on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Sree wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:39 pm
You're only being sarcastic because you don't know how to counter, and I am not going to explain how either.
"I am so much better than you and I refuse to explain why"
https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... ?f=8&t=245

Having a speedboost powerup would diversify the 5th slot in a great way just by it existing. If you don't want someone to run away, have one too so you can chase them down. If you don't want someone to escape in a regular situation, chase them down. If you don't want to die and need to cover ground quickly, use one. Hell, you could probably run fast enough to sprint past a mine without getting blown up by it. I think that would be neat.

This could have a lot of uses and looking at it as "wahh people can run away!!!" is very shortsighted.
6 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:07 pm

I hope we can continue discussing this good item suggestion without using sarcasm or disdain. :)

I think this adrenaline boost could benefit chasers/"rushers" way more than runners, here's why:

Let's imagine a runner with a sniper and a chaser with a katana. Currently, when a runner gets a 5th slot item, it's always a slow-mo. If he gets chased down, he can use his slow-mo to shoot the chaser and continue running, or he can just use the speed-boost from the slow-mo to run. Yes, remember that slow-mo also has a speed boost!

Now if the opposite happens (the chaser uses slow-mo to catch up), the runner can just shoot him and/or block all of his melee attacks precisely. Then, he would continue running. See, the slow-mo benefits someone with a gun a lot more. However, an adrenaline boost would benefit melee fighters more.

If this is implemented, I think the speed boost shouldn't be too much, something like a 50% bonus and infinite stamina.
4 x
Hold your breath.

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Sree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 pm

► Show Spoiler
" No matter how deeply you explain how this speed boost would make the game more luck based, I will still only take it as you complaining about people being able to run away haha fuck you "
https://www.mythologicinteractiveforums ... ?f=8&t=245, I think this goes to you as well.

There are already enough great ways to escape, every players in a game have equal speed and to escape from someone chasing me, all you need to do is kick him off from a higher area and start running away again. and yeah, the game has already lots of covers here and there so speedboost isn't really that necessary to get a cover either. being fast enough to sprint past a mine, again bullshit, Mines only work on a people lacking awareness and being able to counter it by just running fast with a speed boost would render mines pretty much useless most of the times.

If someone is running away from you, You can just throw something at him, stun him so you can catch up with him. You don't really need a speed boost. Having something like speed boost would just kill timed throws/kicks which are the skill aspects of the game. Being able to run away with 2x speed, which would be faster than a knife being thrown at you and then gun down your enemies from range is again ridiculous.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Lunatic wrote:Hell, you could probably run fast enough to sprint past a mine without getting blown up by it.
A 5 seconds duration where you can sprint maybe up to 2x your normal sprint speed. While sprinting (and only sprinting) you could sprint past a mine without even triggering it (a nice quirk to it!). Drawback is that when you're stunned you're knocked down instead (because you're sprinting so fast) - maybe even losing the effect (depends what feels right). A nice tool to chase or flee with.
2 x
Gurt

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Sree wrote:" No matter how deeply you explain how this speed boost would make the game more luck based, I will still only take it as you complaining about people being able to run away haha fuck you "
except people running away was the only point in your argument

Anyway, I think a speed boost would be a good addition to the game, like Lunatic said, we really need something to occupy the 5th slot apart from a slomo powerup. 1.5x the normal speed would be a good speed for the powerup to be at, or maybe even perhaps have a gradual increase in speed starting from 1.5x.
Sree wrote:all you need to do is kick him off from a higher area and start running away again.
Except...sometimes there is no high area to kick them off of.
Sree wrote:the game has already lots of covers here and there
Debatable. Most like depends on the havoc the current game has wrought, most non-permanent cover (barrels, wooden crates, etc.) would be gone by the mid-to-late game, where chasing is most likely to occur.
Sree wrote:being fast enough to sprint past a mine, again bullshit
Yes, welcome to the benefits of a powerup.
Sree wrote:Mines only work on a people lacking awareness
Not true, although a considerable amount of mine detonations are caused by players running into them. A good amount are caused by being kicked, thrown into them and being detonated by a bullet.
Sree wrote:If someone is running away from you, You can just throw something at him, stun him so you can catch up with him.
Although quite common, this point is very situational. It relies on the player having a weapon that can be thrown far enough to hit someone running away from you and also relies on the player not knowing how to catch. Catching is not a slow move, a player could catch a thrown item and still run away quite quickly with ease.
Sree wrote:Being able to run away with 2x speed, which would be faster than a knife being thrown at you
While being extremely petty, I thought this would be interesting to investigate. Using the help of a great scripter called Motto73, we calculated using GetLinearVelocity that a player sprinting at 2x speed has an approximate theoretical speed of 7 and a knife being thrown has an approximate theoretical speed of 13 (shown by the X values in the gif). Taking this information into consideration, a knife being thrown is always faster than a player sprinting at 2x speed.

4 x

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:49 pm

based gurt
Sree wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 pm
If someone is running away from you, You can just throw something at him, stun him so you can catch up with him. You don't really need a speed boost. Having something like speed boost would just kill timed throws/kicks which are the skill aspects of the game. Being able to run away with 2x speed, which would be faster than a knife being thrown at you and then gun down your enemies from range is again ridiculous.
Honestly though, the runner can just use slomo, block/dodge all bullets, catch/avoid all thrown objects, and move faster than the chaser since the person who used slomo has a speed boost. Slomo is hardly useful as a chasing tool because once you use it, they can easily react to every attack you make until it wears off. Adrenaline would give chasing a big buff by making it much harder to react to being chased. Even if they use slomo, your boosted speed will give you a massive edge when it comes to positioning yourself near the opponent, ready to do some damage once the slomo wears off.

EDIT: And to touch on what pricey said about mines:

I find they're really, really good for blocking off passages. If they have to stop to shoot the mine, it can still be a benefit considering it stalls the enemy. And if you can corner someone by placing some good mines in preparation, they'll have nowhere to go. Having a speedboost to counter this sounds really neat, even if it defeats the purpose of my trap.
0 x
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:41 pm

I don't think it's practical to exactly be 2x faster (it's not very ok to move using the /settime 2 at least). Being just slightly faster (sufficiently to pass through mines if this is really necessary, from 1.3 to 1.8 I guess) but reducing significantly or even erasing some cooldowns as kneels, reloads and etc., in addition with high stamina seemed better to me, or at least a point to be considered or discussed here.

If it is (I mean it can mainly be) a tool to catch running opponents or vice versa, I honestly think 2x faster or around is exaggerated, it's unpractical to control and can be a double edged sword because of this.

Other ideas. It would be cool if when you use it, a trail/shadow follows your moves (behind you). Or you can evade bullets like they pass through you, not everything at all obviously like some percentage work (or maybe instead, knockdowns wouldn't have a so powerful slowing after effect when using this item). Or if you move, you accelerate before getting into the max speed. These would be very smoothy (not in the CPU sense though) and fun.
2 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:43 pm

here is a suggestion, if a player runs out of stamina the powerup will automatically activate although this might mean no speedboost since poor frankie here(who's low on stamina) might go careening off the edge because of the speedboost unable to help himself to that delicious pudding.

also, i'm feeling like this post has become all about the speed boost (an idea i suggested in smalltext like this) i only suggested it so that it could be comparable to the slomo and because i wanted to make the topic controversial to get it more exposure :D

Just don't forget...
StarNord wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm
the speed boost is just a sub-idea(intended to sell the main idea)

it doesn't necessarily have to give the player a speed boost, only halt energy consumption or give an energy boost so that the user can perform evasive maneuvers or chase a fleeing opponent without slowing down to recover stamina(energy)
and if you want that pudding for yourself then check it out here
2 x

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Sree » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:41 pm

► Show Spoiler
" and I can only imagine how stupid melee would be if you manage to catch up with someone and before you hit him, he just activates his speed boost and gets away with a ridiculous movement speed and guns you down from distance. right now, guns and melee is balanced enough right now and doesn't depend much on luck. with this new speed boost thing, luck will be getting it's chance to determine who should get a boost in speed and who shouldn't. "

there was a lot more than " people just running away " in my argument.

Most of your arguments were just possibilities. There are always a higher position from which you can kick off somebody. and about covers, Lmao I hardly see an iron barrel getting destroyed in a game. there are plenty of them in a game which can be a great cover and we have permanent covers as well. Speed boost already has a lots of advantages, I don't even see why It should be able to counter a mine as well.

" Not true, although a considerable amount of mine detonations are caused by players running into them. A good amount are caused by being kicked, thrown into them and being detonated by a bullet. "

Still, Most of the kills due to mines are because of the lack of awareness. Being thrown/kicked into a mine is possible but rare. and already with mines being easily counterable (you just need to shoot it from a distance or just jump past it), I don't think there should be more ways to get away from a mine. I did realize that "players being able to run faster than a knife being thrown" is an exaggeration.
0 x