Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Reserving Slots

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Rachet
Meatbag

Reserving Slots

Post by Rachet » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Reserving slots, self-explanatory name in itself. This might not be as necessary, but it certainly could be utilizable, at least in my case. There's already an implementation of servers with passwords for only for just you and your friends, but, when you're regularly just hosting and say someone from your clan on Discord asks for a slot, mundanely (what I would do) is give them a slot, right? I don't really like the feeling of just straight out kicking the players from my server perpetually just for one of my friends to have a slot.

Although with this in mind, there are some flaws.
• When your server is full, don't you have to kick someone to already reserve a slot for your friend?
• How would you 'reserve' a slot; and when it is reserved, how would others ken?
• Probably more than this that I wouldn't like to waste time brainstorming about.

Well, the first flaw I mentioned can't really be fixed. You already have to kick someone to reserve a slot for your friend. You could reserve a slot beforehand, but they would have to additionally ask beforehand too. After kicking though, you could reserve the slot as others would possibly join and take up the slot, then you'd have to kick the player(s) until your friend joins.

The second flaw I mentioned, well, this plays out more than how it's implemented. To the drawing board we go.

My take on this of how it's implemented is this.
• Hosts have the capability to reserve by pressing escape, clicking on the slot, and there'll be a button saying reserve, after clicking you type in the username of the player that'll be joining; or there can be a command. For example: /reserve (slot id) (player name)
• After reserving the slot, any players that will join will have the popup: This slot is reserved. You wouldn't want the name revealed as players could just join as the player you're trying to reserve the slot for.

There are definitely more flaws than this, but I just thought this idea on the whim. Anyways, you could just kick at the right moment and your friend just joins in right after, just that simple, but, reserving slots would be cool.
1 x

piterskiy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: PiterskiyReal
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.4.X

Post by piterskiy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm

i think it's can be made by scripts, but, anyway, it's good idea
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm

You're mentioning a few of the problems already crossed our minds when thinking about a reserve feature in earlier stages of the development. We skipped the idea due to the complexity this feature could bring.
Something I have been thinking on is a much simpler approach where you have a list over "VIP" players. When a VIP-player tries to join a full game the newest non-VIP player (the player that has played the least amount of time) will be kicked with a message about why that player was removed.
A VIP-player could be defined by either name, account, IP or a combination.
4 x
Gurt

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:17 pm

How about having passworded reserve slots? Like, the slots could be defined reserved, locked or normal. If the joining player has written the correct password to the normal password field, he takes up one of the reserved slots. If the password is not correct/missing, the player could still join the normal slots.
0 x

Rachet
Meatbag

Post by Rachet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Good concept, we have passwords already implemented, so that might be easier to make do with.
0 x

Rachet
Meatbag

Post by Rachet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Gurt wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm
You're mentioning a few of the problems already crossed our minds when thinking about a reserve feature in earlier stages of the development. We skipped the idea due to the complexity this feature could bring.
Something I have been thinking on is a much simpler approach where you have a list over "VIP" players. When a VIP-player tries to join a full game the newest non-VIP player (the player that has played the least amount of time) will be kicked with a message about why that player was removed.
A VIP-player could be defined by either name, account, IP or a combination.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, VIP Players seem a lot simpler. I haven't thought about that but that could be easier than just simply reserving slots as I've said.

edit: Also, I think that VIP-players should be defined by account due to the fact defining by IP might be hard because you don't really remember the IP unless you copy it down. Names could be good unless other players copy the VIP-player's name and then you have a whirlpool of problems.
1 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 am

A message should warn you every time a player attempt to join your server, "Player can't join your server because it's full" showing his nickname or maybe just if the player have an account. At least that's the way I thought it's good.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Noble wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 am
A message should warn you every time a player attempt to join your server, "Player can't join your server because it's full" showing his nickname or maybe just if the player have an account. At least that's the way I thought it's good.
I think this would be a useful feature within the host settings,unless there would be an on/off option.
If I got it right,you mean....for example "Noble can't join your server because it's full".?(quite handy if a friend wants to join)
But this could be pretty annoying for the Host,as we would come to know the Host can see the name's of the players waiting outside of his server,like:wow shortcut to discord.
By "pretty annoying" I meant multiple players knocking at the Hosts door at the same time filling up his chat section kinda disturbing as well as distracting.So if that would be the case?Then the host will definitely toggle it off.
0 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Tom Th3 Assasin wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:17 pm
Noble wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 am
I think this would be a useful feature within the host settings,unless there would be an on/off option.
If I got it right,you mean....for example "Noble can't join your server because it's full".?(quite handy if a friend wants to join)
But this could be pretty annoying for the Host,as we would come to know the Host can see the name's of the players waiting outside of his server,like:wow shortcut to discord.
By "pretty annoying" I meant multiple players knocking at the Hosts door at the same time filling up his chat section kinda disturbing as well as distracting.So if that would be the case?Then the host will definitely toggle it off.
That why I mentioned two things:

● Not a lot of players keep trying to join a full server, and if he does, it will be someone you know.
● If that applies to only players with account, that would be more specific.
● Also, the chat can be the place for the hoster to be notified about someone wanting to join, but this message can appear anywhere else.
● If it is in the chat, the game would not display one message for each time your friend try to join your server, but just to the first time he tried, and then only 2 minutes later.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"