Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Fix thrown objects hitting at very low speed.

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
Fix thrown objects hitting at very low speed.

Post by mgtr14 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm

By low speed, I mean that you can drop something and stand under it to get hit. Or a thrown object can hit your target, and hit you right back. There's also the weird case of thrown objects hitting you after they hit the ground and roll.

I suggest possibly increasing the minimum velocity required for something to be considered thrown.
Last edited by mgtr14 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:52 pm

They’ve already fixed and tweaked the minimum velocity for a thrown object to hit. They’ve changed this a couple times in the past and it’s fine as it is right now. I actually really like the feature that when you throw an item at a person, it can bounce back and hit you. All you have to do it press block and instead of hitting you, you’ll catch it. It’s cool, like a boomerang
1 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Vitamin E wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:52 pm
They’ve already fixed and tweaked the minimum velocity for a thrown object to hit. They’ve changed this a couple times in the past and it’s fine as it is right now. I actually really like the feature that when you throw an item at a person, it can bounce back and hit you. All you have to do it press block and instead of hitting you, you’ll catch it. It’s cool, like a boomerang
This can completely negate your attack. If I throw an empty gun at you and I have to catch it again, then I will be stuck equipping it and you can most likely hit me. Not only that, it's inconsistent so it's sometimes not obvious whether it will hit you or not.

This wasn't the only problem anyways, I mentioned that items can "roll" on the ground and still hit a player, even when they're seemingly harmless after hitting the ground. This is also inconsistent.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:17 am

Yes I will hit you if you put yourself in that exact situation where you know you'll get hit. Maybe you just need to adapt to how the game already is rather than complaining about every little thing that doesn't go your way
1 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:05 am

Vitamin E wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:17 am
Yes I will hit you if you put yourself in that exact situation where you know you'll get hit. Maybe you just need to adapt to how the game already is rather than complaining about every little thing that doesn't go your way
This isn't just about me, I've heard other players complain about it in-game. And your idea to adapt would mean that I simply stand back when I throw certain weapons (Which I already do anyways), just in case it'll hit me back. But this feature just feels more like a bug since it doesn't always happen, it just seems like the minimal velocity is too low.

This is an inconsistent feature that can negate your attack, at worst kill you, and where it isn't always obvious that it'll hit you back. And I'm sure this is caused by the same weird way that an item rolling on the ground can still hit you and stun (especially chairs), which is why I'm bringing up both scenarios.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:37 am

@mgtr14 I'm pretty sure it's a Box2D thing, like barrel-boosting... We can tweak it forever, and it will never get 100% consistent. There are always weird edge cases. "Box2D jank" is just part of SFD. All we can say is we've learned not to rely so much on third-party code for future projects.
3 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.