Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Battle of Teams 2.1b Potential Memory Leak Problem

Here you can find all verified bugs in SFD.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Kers
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Kers
SFD Alias: Kers
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.4

Battle of Teams 2.1b Potential Memory Leak Problem

Post by Kers » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:46 pm

When I host this map for a long time, it takes more and more RAM. Eventually it will use 1g and crash the server. I wonder if anyone who is good at coding can fix this map? Thanks in advance.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:43 am

Kers wrote:When I host this map for a long time, it takes more and more RAM. Eventually it will use 1g and crash the server. I wonder if anyone who is good at coding can fix this map? Thanks in advance.
Can you provide me the map in order to investigate on the cause?
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 am

0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Mon May 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Anyone can help?
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Kers wrote:Anyone can help?
So far I didn't found something harmful in the code, for how many hours do the server load the map?
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Thu May 04, 2017 1:33 am

It starts with 110 mb ram and slowly increase to around 1gb ram which takes about 200-300 games. I tried crates, official maps, and melee island all of them only take 100 mb ram even after about 500 games.

I don't know the code but the creator of the map tell me that there is some bug in the code.
ShutDownMan wrote:
Kers wrote:Now I can confirm the root of the issue is battle of teams or NF3 maps. Is there anyway to fix them?
I can say that BoT code is really bad, but I can only say it for the 3 first maps, the other ones weren't made by me...

BoT has lots of fails in performance and can create a lot of objects due to some bugs (and my stupidity), BUT as I already said, I'm talking about BoT 1, 2 and 3...
0 x

Dumby Eggy
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: Huevon NEO
SFD Alias: Huevon SFD
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.8.8

Post by Dumby Eggy » Thu May 04, 2017 5:56 am

200-300 GAMES?!! Too many games, like a 24/7 server. Do you normally run scripts when you host the BoT map ?
0 x
HINT: You will not surprise me if you are good with snipers and magnums and katanas; but I will give my respect for someone who is a weapon-master. So don't wait any cheer marksmen...8-)

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Kers wrote:It starts with 110 mb ram and slowly increase to around 1gb ram which takes about 200-300 games. I tried crates, official maps, and melee island all of them only take 100 mb ram even after about 500 games.

I don't know the code but the creator of the map tell me that there is some bug in the code.
ShutDownMan wrote:
Kers wrote:Now I can confirm the root of the issue is battle of teams or NF3 maps. Is there anyway to fix them?
I can say that BoT code is really bad, but I can only say it for the 3 first maps, the other ones weren't made by me...

BoT has lots of fails in performance and can create a lot of objects due to some bugs (and my stupidity), BUT as I already said, I'm talking about BoT 1, 2 and 3...
I rewrote a part of the code, changed something and deleted another part that weren't never executed, I changed the version to 2.2 to distinguish both maps.

Download

If it doesn't solve your problem... well I think we have to take seriously the fact that maybe the script appdomain is unable to collect properly all the garbage, other headaches for Gurt.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat May 06, 2017 11:28 pm

JakSparro98 wrote:If it doesn't solve your problem... well I think we have to take seriously the fact that maybe the script appdomain is unable to collect properly all the garbage, other headaches for Gurt.
Most likely the case and something I will look deeper into in late beta of the game. It works good enough right now.
1 x
Gurt

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 pm

Dumby Eggy wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:56 am
200-300 GAMES?!! Too many games, like a 24/7 server. Do you normally run scripts when you host the BoT map ?
Yes it is a 24/7 server. I don't run any script with that map though.
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 pm

JakSparro98 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 10:36 pm
Kers wrote:It starts with 110 mb ram and slowly increase to around 1gb ram which takes about 200-300 games. I tried crates, official maps, and melee island all of them only take 100 mb ram even after about 500 games.

ShutDownMan wrote:

I rewrote a part of the code, changed something and deleted another part that weren't never executed, I changed the version to 2.2 to distinguish both maps.

Download

If it doesn't solve your problem... well I think we have to take seriously the fact that maybe the script appdomain is unable to collect properly all the garbage, other headaches for Gurt.
Thanks a lot. Gonna try this tonight.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:02 am

Kers wrote: Thanks a lot. Gonna try this tonight.
Sorry but due for the 1.3.0 update the map camera was a mess, I updated it again, download the map from here.
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Tue May 09, 2017 12:45 am

JakSparro98 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:02 am
Sorry but due for the 1.3.0 update the map camera was a mess, I updated it again, download the map from here.
I tried your 2.2 version and after 248 games it takes up 485mb ram so the problem may still exists. Also there is error message about the crate in the middle of the map but I don't know how to fix it. I'll keep running the server to see if it will crash or not. So far no crash yet. Thanks again. Will try the new version later.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 am

Kers wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:45 am
JakSparro98 wrote:
I tried your 2.2 version and after 248 games it takes up 485mb ram so the problem may still exists. Also there is error message about the crate in the middle of the map but I don't know how to fix it. I'll keep running the server to see if it will crash or not. So far no crash yet. Thanks again. Will try the new version later.
Yeah I also fixed the crate ;) now we only have to wait to find out if the memory leak is solved or not, if not... well, as I already posted, it could not depend of the script code.
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Tue May 09, 2017 11:59 pm

JakSparro98 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 am
Kers wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:45 am
JakSparro98 wrote:

Yeah I also fixed the crate ;) now we only have to wait to find out if the memory leak is solved or not, if not... well, as I already posted, it could not depend of the script code.
Well after 531 games the 2.2 version takes 850mb ram while crates/melee island 1.7 after 1700 games takes only 68mb ram. But at least the battle of teams server no longer crash as often as before. I'm going to host your updated one now see if that makes a difference.
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Thu May 11, 2017 4:39 am

The bug still exists in your updated version so I guess it's not the script's problem. Gonna manually restart the server every day then. BTW stop server running and start it again doesn't release the ram. I must close the dedicated server window and reopen a new one to fix that.
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 am

Now I am hosting nuj's tennis map. It has the same memory leak problem. I checked the f11 log and there is constantly "can't find effect hit". Could that be the reason why the servers eventually crash?
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Kers wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 am
Now I am hosting nuj's tennis map. It has the same memory leak problem. I checked the f11 log and there is constantly "can't find effect hit". Could that be the reason why the servers eventually crash?
I think not, it happens every time the game calls sounds and effects not implemented yet (or not found due for messing up with the game data by the user).
0 x

Kers
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Kers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 am

So after about 8 hours of game, the tennis map takes 1.5GB memory and causes horrible lag. Time to upgrade to my server I guess.

After some testing, the cause of rapid increasing memory consumption in the tennis server is caused by throwing the baseball bat at the ground, The bat is destroyed upon touching the ground. The memory consumption will increase at a rate of 0.1MB/s. During the testing, when the memory usage reached 140MB it got reduced to 115Mb so i guess the garbage collector worked but then the next time it hit 140MB or higher nothing happened. I don't have time to do testing on the battle of teams yet since it is much more complex. My guess now is the destroy process of the corpse causes the problem.
Last edited by KliPeH on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited a double-post in.
0 x

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:23 pm

Kers wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:32 am
So after about 8 hours of game, the tennis map takes 1.5GB memory and causes horrible lag. Time to upgrade to my server I guess.

After some testing, the cause of rapid increasing memory consumption in the tennis server is caused by throwing the baseball bat at the ground, The bat is destroyed upon touching the ground. The memory consumption will increase at a rate of 0.1MB/s. During the testing, when the memory usage reached 140MB it got reduced to 115Mb so i guess the garbage collector worked but then the next time it hit 140MB or higher nothing happened. I don't have time to do testing on the battle of teams yet since it is much more complex. My guess now is the destroy process of the corpse causes the problem.
I don't' want to be bringer of bad news but this seems not to be a script problem, it's instead a problem in the script engine. There is no way to solve this by ourselves because (and also Gurt said that) it's a likely an issue in the program code.

Furthermore since the C# implements an automatic memory handling, even if we are sure the GC fails cleaning the references, we cannot manually alloc and dealloc objects.
I think we can opt for another solution, maybe even simplier for the developers to implement, the possibility to auto restart a server after some time or after a number of rounds, as a temporary solution and also as a standard way to preserve the server from unknown bugs caused by long term execution.
1 x