Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Players can't join through server browser, but IP is fine

All technical topics that have been answered in one way or another can be found here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
DeadlyRumors
Fighter
Fighter

Players can't join through server browser, but IP is fine

Post by DeadlyRumors » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 am

Hi, when I make a server, people cant join through "Browse games", but they can join perfectly fine through connect to IP

How do I make it so that people can join through Browse Games too? I have drop-in on, and Public game on, but when people try to join, it gets stuck on Connecting

A little help would be wonderful, thanks!

Manually port forwarded, automatic port forwarding is off
Edit 1: When other peoples port forwarding automatic is on, then it says port forwarding OK, but still gets stuck on connecting

Edit 2: Sorry, I'm retarded, people can't join through IP either, but can join from local IP, but that's for the same house, aint it?
Last edited by DeadlyRumors on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 am

DeadlyRumors wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 am
[...] but they can join perfectly fine through connect to IP
Are you referring to local connections? As in, a friend or a sibling in your house trying to connect to your IP from their own computer? I'm asking because local connections don't require port forwarding to connect to each other. You just need an IPv4 address for LAN play. Your port forwarding may be faulty while still allowing local connections in.
0 x

DeadlyRumors
Fighter
Fighter

Post by DeadlyRumors » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 am

KliPeH wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 am
DeadlyRumors wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 am
[...] but they can join perfectly fine through connect to IP
Are you referring to local connections? As in, a friend or a sibling in your house trying to connect to your IP from their own computer? I'm asking because local connections don't require port forwarding to connect to each other. You just need an IPv4 address for LAN play. Your port forwarding may be faulty while still allowing local connections in.
Oh, sorry, was full retard. Anyway, People can't join through IPv4 either, but people in my house can join through local ip (192.168.0.##)
Edit 1: Wait, that IP above IS my ipv4 isn't it? According to start-cmds-ipconfig, it is. BUt when I google "what is my IPV4" I get "Your ip address is *not same ip address*

Edit 2: I forgot to answer your question, too, since I'm smart. Anyway, yea, people in my house can connect to my server using our IP.
0 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 am

DeadlyRumors wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 am
[...] People can't join through IPv4 either, but people in my house can join through local ip (192.168.0.##)
People are not supposed to join through your IPv4 address. That's only for you and your local connections. Local connections usually have to be able to join through the IPv4, otherwise the problem would be somewhere else. Your port forwarding was not done properly, try referring to my port forwarding guide.

DeadlyRumors wrote:
Edit 1: Wait, that IP above IS my ipv4 isn't it? According to start-cmds-ipconfig, it is. BUt when I google "what is my IPV4" I get "Your ip address is *not same ip address*
You use the IPv4 address to forward the port. You then give your friends your IP, the address you receive by writing "what is my IP" into your browser's search bar. The IPv4 and the IP are two different addresses, with the latter being used for external connections (SFD players, in this case).
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am

A friend of mine has a similar problem once. I don't know what exactly causes it or if our conclusion will help you, but he solved it after turning off all network adapters other than the ethernet network adapter in his computer. He has an Hamachi network adapter bothering it (I don't know how) so other people couldn't join his server if not by IP.

You can do this by Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections.

Otherwise, maybe your Port Fowarding is just not ok after all.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

DeadlyRumors
Fighter
Fighter

Post by DeadlyRumors » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:43 am

KliPeH wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 am
DeadlyRumors wrote:
[...] People can't join through IPv4 either, but people in my house can join through local ip (192.168.0.##)
People are not supposed to join through your IPv4 address. That's only for you and your local connections. Local connections usually have to be able to join through the IPv4, otherwise the problem would be somewhere else. Your port forwarding was not done properly, try referring to my port forwarding guide.

DeadlyRumors wrote:
You use the IPv4 address to forward the port. You then give your friends your IP, the address you receive by writing "what is my IP" into your browser's search bar. The IPv4 and the IP are two different addresses, with the latter being used for external connections (SFD players, in this case).

Yea, i forwarded the port using IPV4. Turns out, my IPV4 address changed (the last digit)
No idea why, but I fixed it and now I can host. Thanks for trying to help!
0 x

KliPeH

Post by KliPeH » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:27 am

DeadlyRumors wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:43 am
Yea, i forwarded the port using IPV4. Turns out, my IPV4 address changed (the last digit)
No idea why, but I fixed it and now I can host. Thanks for trying to help!
KliPeH wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:15 pm
Important Notes

[...]
  • Your IPv4 address will PROBABLY change too. I didn't know this at first, and as a result couldn't host any multiplayer games for a few months until I noticed that it does. Repeat the "IP Address field" tutorial in step [5] to get the new address (CMD => 'ipconfig'), and then update the existing port entry with it.
Glad I could help.
0 x