Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Vaulting

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Vaulting

Post by StarNord » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:13 pm

I find it silly that while sprinting you can run clumsily into objects if you didn't choose or simply couldn't jump beforehand and it's pretty counter-intuitive that you would have to jump over a barrel that you want to quickly take cover behind, because by jumping you're exposing yourself alot more and basically asking anyone behind you "shoot me here".

Yes, you can dive onto the barrel but we all know how the devs/dev(lookin' at'chu Gurt) slapped diving in the face with a ridiculous(aka deserved) energy cost and put a small cooldown on it plus, a vaulting system would make the game feel alot smoother and not to mention, cooler.

It'll work like this, if you are running you will automatically vault past thinner objects like barrels and vault onto wider objects like tables, and although it'll take alotta effort to get it right i'm sure vaulting across the map will become a unique quirk that'll never get old (atleast from how I imagine it)

And as usual here are the some more smaller suggestions

Holding down before/while vaulting over something makes you take cover behind the object

Stopping mid-vault will stop you from vaulting past thinner objects like that wooden post or poor frankie here will sink helplessly into the icy depths below unable to enjoy a moment of peace before you launch up another round of Zombie Nightmare and he has to die again(and subsequently turn into a zombie).

By the way, did you notice poor frankie's right foot is gone, I swear that I could see his right foot in every one of the many hundreds of takes I did for this screenshot, *puts on tin foil hat* that must mean that I shifted from an alternate reality where the leg was visible! Reality Is Fragile, Human Memory Is Infallible!
5 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm all in for changes that make the game feel more smooth and holliwoodian.
0 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Del Poncho wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:22 pm
I'm all in for changes that make the game feel more smooth and holliwoodian.
I agree. It would be way move awesome that when you Dive over a barrel he would automatically vault it and take cover.
0 x

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm

While reviewing my post i was scared that my reasons for vaulting to be implemented were just based on the fun factor (if not completely baseless) but I think that everyone in the community played a parkour game atleast once and knew the feeling of speed that comes from darting across the scenery.

I think it could be a great feature if nailed well with sound design and the right smoothness, the game would feel a bit more streamlined and it'd give some room to breathe when you're freerunning since you wouldn't have to tap jump everytime a barrel came your way.

But i still hold my prior opinion, i suppose it should become more of a stretch goal(meaning that it's implemented after the game's full release), if it's even to become a goal in the first place.

at one point i thought i was just suggesting that this game become a softcore mirror's edge, thank ya'll for reassuring me!
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm

StarNord wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:09 pm
While reviewing my post i was scared that my reasons for vaulting to be implemented were just based on the fun factor (if not completely baseless) but I think that everyone in the community played a parkour game atleast once and knew the feeling of speed that comes from darting across the scenery.

I think it could be a great feature if nailed well with sound design and the right smoothness, the game would feel a bit more streamlined and it'd give some room to breathe when you're freerunning since you wouldn't have to tap jump everytime a barrel came your way.

But i still hold my prior opinion, i suppose it should become more of a stretch goal(meaning that it's implemented after the game's full release), if it's even to become a goal in the first place.

at one point i thought i was just suggesting that this game become a softcore mirror's edge, thank ya'll for reassuring me!
The main purpose of a video game is fun, so I don't see what's wrong with suggesting a mechanic that is totally fun. better parkour will also lead to smoother and adaptable gameplay. I would love to see this idea implemented into sfd soon.
0 x

Tom Th3 Assasin
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: JakMike
Started SFD: 2017

Post by Tom Th3 Assasin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

Rick Sanchez wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm

I agree. It would be way move awesome that when you Dive over a barrel he would automatically vault it and take cover.
But what if its an explosive barrel?
0 x
There is not a single thing that I can't do

https://imgur.com/a/Ybqji

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Tom Th3 Assasin wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm
Rick Sanchez wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:32 pm

But what if its an explosive barrel?
Then you just vault past it if you didn't press down or stop halfway.

You could possibly act as a meat sheild for the barrel if someone tried to shoot it(from above) but I think you'd probably get blown up after you vaulted across.
0 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 pm

I actually like the idea of an automatic vault/glide while sprinting into objects, I can see it working well. Don't get your hopes up though. There are many "would be nice to have" features like this, but implementing new moves is a big job for poor overworked Gurt!
3 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by StarNord » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Hjarpe wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 pm
I actually like the idea of an automatic vault/glide while sprinting into objects, I can see it working well. Don't get your hopes up though. There are many "would be nice to have" features like this, but implementing new moves is a big job for poor overworked Gurt!
So will it become a stretch feature?, it would be awesome to have something like this, it would fit the game very well(says the guy who suggested it)
Hjarpe wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 pm
implementing new moves is a big job for poor overworked Gurt!
Man, i hope he's doing good, give him a cookie for me will ya? Or whatever they give to overworked people over in sweden
0 x