Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Map Editor Suggestions

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Re: Easy Doors!

Post by GreenyShark » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:08 am

This is a good idea. Now you don't have to get a plank as a lame excuse for a door
4 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:44 am

Yeah,it's not a bad idea at all. Having doors that can be opened/closed with the interaction button and/or triggers and buttons around the map would really be cool.
It would also be very beneficial for campaigns/adventure maps,since it's a good way to block a passage without needing planks or similar. They don't exactly look good.

I would differentiate the size from the toughness,tho,and have some way to make the door bigger/smaller for various needs.
Also,I would just see 3 levels for this:

-Wooden,can be shot through;
-Metal,can't be shot through but can break;
-Reinforced/whatever,can't be shot through or broken in any way;

Maybe this could go along with some kind of "editable" hp value,in the map editor.
Also,a value to chose if it can be opened or not "by the handle",meaning that some doors would need a specific trigger to be opened,or cannot be opened at all.
4 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:17 pm

A very good idea indeed.

It would also be great if the doors could be opened by diving into them (if they are not locked) and when they are hit by objects. They could open to the background like in a game called Duck Game (GIFs below). If they were shot like while they were opened 50%, the projectiles would have 50% chance to hit the door normally and so on. All corpses or objects would block it to be closed again.

Here is the basic function of a door in Duck Game. (Of course they wouldn't need to close themselves)
► Show Spoiler
Different projectiles would deal obviously different damage. When broken, they should drop some debris or a custom broken door piece.
► Show Spoiler
3 x

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06 pm

I like the ideas of doors and also thought of a Duck Game-esque door system for SFD. However could these ideas not all be compressed into one type of door? An old wooden door really isn't necessary when all projectiles can go through it anyway. The same goes for the titanium door, I can't exactly picture Alley becoming Fort Knox anytime soon. Most of the doors you have suggested are just getting in the way of the game, however with a few tweaks a door could definitely be implemented. Perhaps being open/closed at will? Using chair legs to barricade doors? Doors would also absorb most low-calibre bullets (pistol, uzi, most automatics, etc.) but bullets from that of a sniper/magnum would pierce through the door.
2 x

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Motto73 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Well yeah, the idea of doors in short is to get on the way. I made a (bad) Superfighterish visual concept gif for the doors.
► Show Spoiler
2 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 pm

*New idea*
Ability to set any BG or Solid tile on Foreground , Sure if this possible...
0 x
-Content-maker.

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.5

Post by JakSparro98 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Shock wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 pm
*New idea*
I think that changing the tiles groups behavior in order to use tiles on every (or almost every) layer type (background, farbackground, foreground, etc..) would be enough, if only it was implemented.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm

JakSparro98 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 pm
Shock wrote:
*New idea*
I think that changing the tiles groups behavior in order to use tiles on every (or almost every) layer type (background, farbackground, foreground, etc..) would be enough, if only it was implemented.
Sorry, Hjarpe insisted to have the tiles in specific groups that mustn't never be mixed together when we started making the game. It's a technical inheritance today that we can't change easily without possibly breaking all existing maps. :)
3 x
Gurt

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm
JakSparro98 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:52 pm
Shock wrote:
*New idea*
Sorry, Hjarpe insisted to have the tiles in specific groups that mustn't never be mixed together when we started making the game. It's a technical inheritance today that we can't change easily without possibly breaking all existing maps. :)
Okey... :( , How about adding some things to Foreground , like Shadows , any Blocks or something?
0 x
-Content-maker.

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm
Sorry folks, it seemed like a good idea at the time. That's the worst part of working on a game for half a decade... you have to live with the decisions made by some fucking idiot (you 5 years ago).

I'll add some foreground shadow tiles for the next update.
6 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Motto73 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Groups are very good in maintaining order in a map and spawn certain objects on runtime. Sometimes it would be great to group groups, especially when you are trying to create a bit more complex entities. For example, I am trying to create a closet to a horror mode where the player could hide. It consists of three different groups, each of them spawning their own objects. Many triggers are conencted within the different groups and from a group to another. If I could group these groups to one group, it would be a lot easier to move it around the map and keep the order as it should be.
► Show Spoiler
Thank you for your interest.
2 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 pm

This is something that I would like as well but due to technical limitation in how tiles work and that grouping of tiles are an afterthought rather than an initial planned feature in the editor we simply chose not to implement recursive grouping (or "grouped groups").
As it is now you will just have to place the group markers next to each other to see which groups belong together.
0 x
Gurt

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:35 am

Currently OnDestroyed trigger is triggered only once when it reaches his destroy count, it could be usefull to add a repeat count like time triggers or simply a boolean to make the destroy counter to reset when it reaches enough destroyed objects, this could be used when the trigger have more objects to be destroyed in several stages and consequently to even trigger the OnDestroyed multiple times.
0 x

Armadyl5
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: 1.2.1

Post by Armadyl5 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm

a useful setting in the map editor would be to Enable/Disable Critical shots.

basicly im asking to add a bool to Game() , "Game.CriticalshotsEnabled" , maybe also make it a setting in the server .

for map making , this would allow for scripted events to be completely possible (no risk of ruining an event by a critical shot) .

in terms of Game experience it is an acceptable setting in my opinion (although it's not much of a change to the game) .
0 x
Never Surrender !

Always Fight For Your Rights , and Don't Let Your Friends Down .

JakSparro98
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by JakSparro98 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Armadyl5 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 pm
a useful setting in the map editor would be to Enable/Disable Critical shots.

basicly im asking to add a bool to Game() , "Game.CriticalshotsEnabled" , maybe also make it a setting in the server .

for map making , this would allow for scripted events to be completely possible (no risk of ruining an event by a critical shot) .

in terms of Game experience it is an acceptable setting in my opinion (although it's not much of a change to the game) .
This makes me think about the possibility to handle critical and damage dealt for script-spawned projectiles, currently you can only control how a projectile behave trough a player affected by a modifier, It could be usefull to add this overload for the SpawnProjectile method
0 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:11 pm

How about invisible Weak object? Or something like...

SetWeakObjectTrigger(useful for solid tiles , objects (and probably bg for explosions or fire))
-ability to set the damage for some object , of Projectile/Punches/Kicks and etc.
-ability to set the health of object for any damage.
1 x
-Content-maker.

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Motto73 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:48 am

How about the ability to hide DialogueTrigger's message from the chat? Speech bubbles are nice and all, but multiple will easily flood the chat.
1 x

SAURABH
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Dangerous Dave
SFD Alias: Dave
Started SFD: June 2016
Post by SAURABH » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 am

Can there be more sorting options when opening a map, with "Name" and "Type".

I would like a "Date modified" option to search for most recently downloaded or edited map faster in case of opening a map from over 40 maps in a folder.
7 x
Just play for Fun! *joins Clan*

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm

how about just making the map editor simpler in the first place, (i assume that's hard to do but I'm just saying) because i think any random person should be able to create a map, but hey the game isn't about map making its about superfighting.
0 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:23 pm

MOOADAM wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 pm
how about just making the map editor simpler in the first place, (i assume that's hard to do but I'm just saying) because i think any random person should be able to create a map, but hey the game isn't about map making its about superfighting.
Do you have any specific designs in mind that will make the editor much simpler to use?
In it's core you only need to drag in tiles from the right list into the workspace and you have a map to play.
4 x
Gurt