Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Make counter attacks more reliable

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Make counter attacks more reliable

Post by Splinter » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:23 pm

Something that's been bothering me for a while is how we can block counters, very often too. I think this happens more often now than in older versions, might be because of the change in the ADAD melee - the block/punch animation was changed slightly in duration?

Here's a video example (map was made by @Shock if I'm not mistaken):

https://youtu.be/PnxnAAuHW-4

I don't know about you, but I think that bot and I countered pretty quickly; it should be enough to not allow the other to block.

Some of you might like being able to block counters, but for me, the counter is the main, most basic principle of melee since the first versions of SFD: if you block a punch, you get a guaranteed punch as a reward. Of course, there are ways to work around that. You can use slow motion to gain a speed boost and be able to block counters, or you can quickly roll, jump and block the counter if you're quick enough. That's fine by me. But players often block counters kind of randomly, by just mashing blocks and punches, and that seems very unfair. Plus, it makes the fighters too defensive. So I suggest a little tweak on the duration of the animations to make counters way more reliable.
6 x
Hold your breath.

Alexbra25
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: lucky boy
SFD Account: Alexbra25
SFD Alias: |LPH| Just me
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.0.6

Post by Alexbra25 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Yeah, that really happens with me very often. I particularly like it, but I think it shouldn't happen. Or at least it should happen more rarely.
1 x
Love will tear us apart

Sree
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: phasmic
SFD Alias: sree

Post by Sree » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm

This post deserves legit concern honestly. This happens a lot to me and I used to believe that it was somehow related to ping but if it's not they gotta make blocks much more reliable.
2 x

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 pm

As far as I know, you have a complete opening to land a punch if you block one. The bot doesn't punch immediately out of block, which is likely the reason the counter isn't landing. That said, the very tiny window to land a counter out of block is a fair concern. I think the easiest way to guarantee a counter would just be this: If you get blocked, your own block goes on cooldown for like .5 seconds or something. Enough time that you can't block immediately. If you use a slomo, this could probably be ignored.
3 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)