Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Status update 2018-06-06

Status updates from MythoLogic Interactive about the game progress.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Status update 2018-06-06

Post by Gurt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Work in ongoing.

Last week I didn't get much work done on the bots as we focused to get some other features done before the release. So I never recorded any more videos over bots fighting. The past days have been productive in comparison so I have also uploaded a few more videos over bots fighting which you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feVASgJ1hWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di8Kdg1w7Ys

Developing the bots is an interesting process. At the moment I'm setting up small milestones consisting of a few features I want the bots to be able to manage before doing playtesting. During the playtests I record what the bots are doing. Sometimes they get stuck and sometimes they do something weird or unintended. I analyze their patters a bit and set up new milestones consisting of tweaks/adjustments and new features to make the bots work better. Then I start working on the next milestone before playtesting again.

When the bots work as intended the fights can be pretty fun to watch. The next video will probably be after I have solved some more navigation features/issues still in the TODO list.
9 x
Gurt

Shark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: The Predator
SFD Alias: http://i.imgur.com/sQSmWvB.png
Started SFD: 1.6.4

Post by Shark » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:55 pm

The bots don't throw? as show in this video https://youtu.be/feVASgJ1hWE?t=27 0:27 , He can throw your knife, it need happen :) thank you, are making a game, that is basically Amazing <3
0 x
Just me The Predator!

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Everybody gets awkwardly red when they get hit... is it a new feature, or is it something related to the development of the AI?
2 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:38 pm

Del Poncho wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm
Everybody gets awkwardly red when they get hit... is it a new feature, or is it something related to the development of the AI?
I suppose it's a development-only tool, everyone saw and got confused by this in the Discord server too..
Thought I liked the effect of this when it was burning, it seemed nice.
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Yeah, people were discussing about the red flashing. Basically, some people liked it on some situations: when objects and players are burning, I think the red filter looks pretty cool:

But almost everyone thought the red flashing when objects take damage was distracting and unnecessary, like in this case:

Some people liked the red flashing on players, some didn't. Personally I kinda liked it, but I'm not sure either. @Quinterball was thinking that maybe players should flash red only when they take big damage (for example, a magnum shot), which could be a good idea.
6 x
Hold your breath.

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Splinter wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:59 pm
Some people liked the red flashing on players, some didn't. Personally I kinda liked it, but I'm not sure either. @Quinterball was thinking that maybe players should flash red only when they take big damage (for example, a magnum shot), which could be a good idea.
I don't know, it seems quite out of place.
I mean, everything in the game looks """realistic""", there are less in-game indicators as possible (wich I love!). It kind of breaks the continuity of the "realism", if I'm making some sense.

It's weird and I don't know how to describe it.
2 x

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 pm

The flashing red is to indicate damage feedback. Everything that takes damage will flash red, whether it be you, the enemy or objects.
With all changes there will be some time to adjust. I myself hesitated in the beginning but I can't see the game without it now - it's much clearer when something takes damage. Some of you have only experienced it through the video for a few minutes to which I say: give it some time. We have also updated the in-game GUI so that will also be something to get used to along with some new animations, some new/replaced sounds and some visual effects.
3 x
Gurt

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Gurt wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 pm
We have also updated the in-game GUI so that will also be something to get used to along with some new animations, some new/replaced sounds and some visual effects.
Aw yis.

I don't know wether or not I'll like the red thing, I guess I'll have to see, but I'd suggest giving players the option to turn it off, if it's something doable.
8 x

ill
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Post by ill » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Ok, so...
When i have first seen this it looked like a bug, but because certain bits and pieces fell and made contact with those tiles i realized this was actually something intended.

Right away the popular opinion about this was that it looked distracting and unnecessary, and we hoped that it was only a developer thing, but some of us are afraid that this might be a feature, because it doesn't actually provide anything more to the simple information that the object or player is indeed receiving damage. Not only that, but up until now, there was no need for breakable tiles to flash red while receiving damage. We knew those would break, and it really didn't matter if they showed that they were receiving damage or not. Those were breaking and that was it. It's not like they have some sort of health bar as well, showing how much it will take until the tile breaks, it just flashes red whenever its touched.

The same goes for players, why is it neccessary for the players to flash red? Don't we already know that they receive damage by looking at the health bar? Why is red flashing neccessary? We know we take damage in the moment we see our health bar decreasing. Did anyone forget that we also have hit animations and hit/block effects? Oh and by the way, not only that, but did anyone see the actual blood spewing out when any player or body is hit? Is that really not enough? Me and other people aren't keen on dealing with this effect, and we would also like to know if by some thankful chance we will have the posibility to disable it, or change the game files and make this particular effect transparent, so we won't see it?

Please Gurt, please at least make this a choice. If this would be toggled in the settings perhaps i do believe it would be simple and considerable for the other players that are going to buy the game, and would rather opt out this feature. What I love about SFD is that it is so customisable, we can customise our charaters, we can make gun textures, and we can edit maps. This game has a keen spot on customisation, and some of us really would not like to see those red tiles flashing like that in the upcoming update, and the best solution for this would be NOT to remove it, or ditch this feature completly, but to add a YES or a NO for this feature in the settings from the menu, or in the graphics settings.
Last edited by ill on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
4 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Del Poncho » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:36 pm

ill wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm
OK, so...
When i have first seen this it looked like a bug, but because certain bits and pieces fell and made contact with those tiles i realized this was actually something intended.

Right away the popular opinion about this was that it looked distracting and unnecessary, and we hoped that it was only a developer thing, but some of us are afraid that this might be a feature, because it doesn't actually provide anything more to the simple information that the object or player is indeed receiving damage. Not only that, but up until now, there was no need for breakable tiles to flash red while receiving damage. We knew those would break, and it really didn't matter if they showed that they were receiving damage or not. Those were breaking and thats it. It's not like they have some sort of health bar as well, showing how much it will take until the tile breaks, it just flashes red whenever its touched.

The same goes for players, why is it neccessary for the players to flash red? don't we already know that they receive damage by looking at the health bar? Why is red flashing neccessary? we know we take damage in the moment we see out health bar decreasing. Did anyone forget that we also have hit animations and hit or block effects? oh and by the way, not only that, but did anyone see the actual blood spweing out when any player is hit? Is that really not enough? Me and other people aren't keen on dealing with this effect, and we would also like to know if by some thankful chance we have the posibility to disable it, or change the game files and make this particular effect transparent, so we won't see it?

Please Gurt, please at least make this a choice. If this would be toggled in the settings perhaps i do believe it would be simple and considerable for the players that are going to buy this game. What i love about SFD is that it is so customisable, we can customise our charaters, we can make gun textures, and we can edit maps. This game has a keen spot on customisation, and some of us really would not like to see those red tiles flashing like that in the upcoming update, and the best solution for this would be NOT to remove it, or ditch this feature completly, but to add a YES or a NO for this feature in the settings from the menu, or in the graphics settings.
Well, that's a bit of an excalation.

I'd say that we should give it a try for some time before actually starting to hate it, as it's just something we might get used to. I mean, we raised pitchforks in the pasts about pants, but now I would never go back to the standard legs. It's just something we have to test.

But again, if there's the option to turn it off, that's just better in any case, everybody's happy. And even if it's something people don't like at the release date, it wouldn't affect that much the way the game is received.
4 x

ill
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Bannaned
SFD Account: ill
SFD Alias: Spider
Started SFD: When Sector 8 was official
Post by ill » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:34 am

Del Poncho wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:36 pm
Well, that's a bit of an excalation.

I'd say that we should give it a try for some time before actually starting to hate it, as it's just something we might get used to. I mean, we raised pitchforks in the pasts about pants, but now I would never go back to the standard legs. It's just something we have to test.

But again, if there's the option to turn it off, that's just better in any case, everybody's happy. And even if it's something people don't like at the release date, it wouldn't affect that much the way the game is received.
Yes i realise i sound too desperate, but i am willing to try and accommodate with it for a while, but there's always the possibility where people won't accomodate with it, so instead of having complains or suggestions about it afterwards, it is always a good pre-emptive solution to make it an ON\OFF option from the beginning.
3 x
Hjarpe wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:29 am
Gurt says he hates me
Gurt wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:46 pm
It happens
Lunatic wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:45 pm
haha yeah

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:32 am

Gurt wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 pm
Some of you have only experienced it through the video for a few minutes to which I say: give it some time.
It's a really "flashy" effect, no wonder it surprised everybody. But, even if an option to turn it off is made available, I'm definitely going to give it a chance. On the plus side, it reminds me a lot of arcade games like Megaman and Metal Slug. The red outline also gives me that NES era vibe. Besides, it gives the game more "juice", here's an interesting video about it, if anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=216_5nu4aVQ
2 x
Hold your breath.

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:46 am

Yeah, I think I'm ok with it and I think there should be a toggle on/off button for this. I just really didn't like how the some objects flashes sometimes, when it flashes out of the object, apparently.

Like this:

2 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 am

I think it's a good thing and I'm all for it, but I still think it should be an option to turn off the red indicator for those that don't like it.

Glad to see bots are coming along. Looking forward to seeing what they can do once they're done.
2 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Motto73
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Lazy ass
SFD Account: Motto73
Started SFD: Multiplayer Test Demo

Post by Motto73 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:35 am

Maybe trying to align the red flashing with the collider? Like, affecting only the pixels that are inside it so it wouldn't look so out of place.
0 x