Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

What's the point of power weapons?

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: OkOkOK
SFD Alias: Witness Pink Jaeky!
Started SFD: 2016
What's the point of power weapons?

Post by mgtr14 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 pm

I've never understood why they're even in the game, they aren't fun to fight against since you don't stand a chance against them.
It's especially destructive in teammode, since the favour dips for whoever loses teammates first. If you get 1-2 kills, you could most likely kill the rest with the help of your own team. Fighting against someone with a power weapon isn't fun and it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. Some people even jump off the map as soon as their last opponent gets a power weapon.

I think weapons should just be another way to kill your opponent. If I get a baseball bat, then my opponent can melee in a certain way to atleast nullify the range, or shoot me, throw, etc. You can block a magnum shot, dodge it(90% of the time), or possibly knock it out of their hand or force them into melee.
What do you do against bazookas, grenade launchers, m60s and chainsaws? Atleast you can rocket ride and try to bring your opponent down with you, but it's getting more common to simply kill someone using splash damage or shooting them at an angle they can't ride out of. An m60 atleast doesn't instakill and can be dodged, so I'm somewhat fine with it. But against grenade launchers and chainsaws, you can only run from them.

I understand that the point of power weapons is to be powerful, but it just doesn't work in a game like this. It's not fun and it's impossible to fight against unless they have very low hp, and it's not fun to use either. I want to actually fight my opponents. It's a fight when we have an exchange, not when I just erase them because I got a lucky drop.
1 x
Shut up bitch!!

Pregnant
Fighter
Fighter
Post by Pregnant » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 pm

I disagree with the removal/rework of power-weapons and for multiple reasons and the first one being : power-weapons are fun.
Many fighting games have power-weapons and/or power-moves and nobody exactly had a problem with that unless they're REALLY unbalanced and unfun which is most likely not the case for SFD.

Being hit by a bazooka-rocket is fun and not OP considering you can fly back to your opponent and probably get a kill if you do it correctly. (Also the bazooka-rocket-riding being one of the trademarks of SFD)
Being hit by a grenade-launcher is fun because it usually leads to pretty cool moments (ie: getting hit by a grenade and flying into the air to finally land on a bunch of redbarrels and ultimately kill other players and/or destroy the environment).
Running away from a M60 is fun, "movie-like" and is OP only if it's correctly used. I love being chased by a M60 because it actually exercises my endurance and proves if you're good at running and gunning or not.

However I agree with the removal/rework of the chainsaw. The chainsaw is not fun to play against, 100% op, and not rare enough considering its power.

Note: this is just my opinion
12 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 pm

The point of power weapons is to completely shift the match.
As soon as someone gets a power weapon, the match usually focuses around him. Everyone either runs away from him, or tries to ride the fury road and take that weapon from him.

The one thing I'm not happy with, is how common they actually are. Power weapons spawn almost every round, and while it's mostly RNG based, I think they should be much rarer.
Having the underdog with 1hp find the bazooka and win the fight is fun every now and then, but not if there are rockets flying around every match.

Also, an option to turn them off without using scripts would be nice. Hell, a sort of menu to modify all the weapon spawns would be fun (something a la Worms, I guess).
10 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:36 pm

Yea, I don't have a problem with the weapons themselves considering the reason for their existence, but "As too much power leads to despotism, too little leads to anarchy, and both eventually to the ruin of the people."
3 x
-Evilsack

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:58 pm

Evilsack wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:36 pm
"As too much power leads to despotism, too little leads to anarchy, and both eventually to the ruin of the people."
- Alexander Hamilton on the subject of bazookas and chainsaws, 1788 -
10 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

StarNord
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: SelfProclaimed LvL99 Suggester
SFD Account: StarNord
SFD Alias: Sunny Citizen
Started SFD: A lil' Before Pre-Alpha 1.6.0

Post by StarNord » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 am

I understand why people would hate bazookas, grenade launchers, and m60s (I'm not even gonna mention the Chainsaw since I'm sure the devs are gonna do something about that super-OP power-weapon), but I don't think that removing or reworking these power-weapons would be a good idea since it'd kind of take the fun and/or surprise of getting or seeing a power-weapon, they should stay as OP as they are but with one of the following disadvantages when having them equipped.

Being weighed down could be a disadvantages, slowing a fighter down when they have a power-weapon equipped would be an effective way to keep them from rushing and blasting enemies to bits.

However the speed penalty would be lifted once the weapon is unequipped but the equipping animation for power-weapons would be lengthened so that you can counter-attack and stun them mid-animation making them drop the weapon or run away and make a quick escape, unequipping the power-weapon would also have a delay in the form of an un-equipping animation.

When being stunned mid-animation the opponent would not only be disarmed but also kneel for around a second, and the weapon would be thrown in a big arching trajectory towards the direction of the attack giving you the opportunity to pick it up or grab it out of the air.

My second suggestion is that the wielder would drop the power-weapon and kneel for around a second after being stunned just like when they are stunned mid-animation in my first suggestion but it would happen regardless of whether they are in an animation or not, meaning that power-weapons would be less risky to use over long ranges rather than up close which would also diminish the likelihood of people winning entirely because of the power-weapon, and if they get up close you can simply throw a chair in their face and take the power-weapon.

Now, let me present a more experimental (and potentially embarrassing) suggestion...

When the wielder is stunned and throws the power-weapon the power-weapon can only be retrieved and shot back if it's been blocked mid-air, but if it's picked up off the ground, it'll be broken in two by the opponent during which, while being locked in an animation, they'll drop a quote like "these are the weapons of cowards" or "your luck ends here" or maybe an actual movie quote since I have no knowledge of any memorable hollywood movie quotes, this could play out like a hollywoodian cinematic adding to the cool-factor and making power-weapons balanced at the same time.
Last edited by KliPeH on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the toxic "off-topic" bit.
0 x
Go On, Click Away. Signatures Are For Fools Who Haven't Said Enough! -Karl Marx if he had an internet connection

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

To answer the Topic, Power weapons are (in my opinion) for fun. It's cool when you are playing this with friends online in the same room. Superfighters deluxe like a chaotic party game. You chase your friend, then he finds a basooka, and now it's you who runs :D
Finds an M60, now he says: Say hello to my little Friend XD
But yeah, Gl is kinda overkill. Would be nice if you could whack the explosive grenade out of orbit, in midair if you could activate a slomo just in time like a livesaver, if you time the hit perfectly. (no block first, needing perfect strike!!!)

But personally, when people play for wins they seem to get really pissed off at power weapons. I myself have gotten really angry, when a deserved win turns around in my face, cos of a pro with a grenade launcher and aimbot-like aim...
Still, i am against their removal or tweaking (chainsaw not included)
But if you don't want to play with them, just host your own server and disable power weapons with scripts.

I agree that it would be nice to have more control over your own server, with tweaking weapon spawns and enabling and disabling stuff, without needing scripts. Hopefully in a future update.
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 pm

To be frank, I get the point on both sides. I think there should be an ability on the host menu to manipulate the spawn chances of items. That way the host can play their game the way they want. This is a common thing in the game “Stick fight”
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:36 pm

It's great that there is atleast a good reason, being that it (for the most part) be pretty fun and change the dynamic of the match quickly which is usually interesting.

My problem is that it's a very cheap way to do it, I think the game is more interesting when there is an exchange between opponents instead of one simply killing the other with a chainsaw or throwing them off the map with a grab. I find it way more fun when they're using the environment, punching and juking eachother out, jumping and so on. With an exchange like this, there's potential for skill at every move, mind games, it's fun to fight that kind of fight and it's even interesting to watch. An opponent getting ripped by a chainsaw isn't as fun for me and alot of people.

I don't think that power weapons are the way to go to make the game more fun or change the dynamic. A gun already changes the dynamic of the game, a melee weapon can make all the difference, grenades, molotovs, a slomo lets you advance safely. I do propose a rework to make them more easily counterable, but to still be a force to be reckoned with, just like (almost) every other weapon is.

But since a rework is unlikely eitherway, I think a good compromise would just to let the host modify weapon spawn rates and disable certain weapons. I'm sure alot of players would appreciate the option.
Last edited by mgtr14 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm

mgtr14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:36 pm
It's great that there is atleast a good reason, being that it (for the most part) be pretty fun and change the dynamic of the match quickly which is usually interesting.

My problem is that it's a very cheap way to do it, I think the game is more interesting when there is an exchange between opponents instead of one simply killing the other with a chainsaw or throwing them off the map with a grab. I find it way more fun when they're using the environment, punching and juking eachother out, jumping and so on. With an exchange like this, there's potential for skill at every move, mind games, it's fun to fight that kind of fight and it's even interesting to watch. An opponent getting shot into a wall with a bazooka isn't as fun for me and alot of people.

I don't think that power weapons are the way to go to make the game more fun or change the dynamic. A gun already changes the dynamic of the game, a melee weapon can make all the difference, grenades, molotovs, a slomo lets you advance safely. I do propose a rework to make them more easily counterable, but to still be a force to be reckoned with, just like (almost) every other weapon is.

But since a rework is unlikely eitherway, I think a good compromise would just to let the host modify weapon spawn rates and disable certain weapons. I'm sure alot of players would appreciate the option.
I get that. It’s all based on preference. @Sree had made a script that prevented slomotion from spawning. Possibly you can do the same with these weapons
0 x

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:44 pm

mgtr14 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 pm
I've never understood why they're even in the game, they aren't fun to fight against since you don't stand a chance against them.
It's especially destructive in teammode, since the favour dips for whoever loses teammates first. If you get 1-2 kills, you could most likely kill the rest with the help of your own team. Fighting against someone with a power weapon isn't fun and it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. Some people even jump off the map as soon as their last opponent gets a power weapon.

I think weapons should just be another way to kill your opponent. If I get a baseball bat, then my opponent can melee in a certain way to atleast nullify the range, or shoot me, throw, etc. You can block a magnum shot, dodge it(90% of the time), or possibly knock it out of their hand or force them into melee.
What do you do against bazookas, grenade launchers, m60s and chainsaws? Atleast you can rocket ride and try to bring your opponent down with you, but it's getting more common to simply kill someone using splash damage or shooting them at an angle they can't ride out of. An m60 atleast doesn't instakill and can be dodged, so I'm somewhat fine with it. But against grenade launchers and chainsaws, you can only run from them.

I understand that the point of power weapons is to be powerful, but it just doesn't work in a game like this. It's not fun and it's impossible to fight against unless they have very low hp, and it's not fun to use either. I want to actually fight my opponents. It's a fight when we have an exchange, not when I just erase them because I got a lucky drop.
I can agree with you on most things, but this i cannot. Power weapons are annoying when used against you yes, but keep in mind they are RANDOM, anyone can get them anytime and thats why they are balanced.
2 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Rick Sanchez wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:44 pm
mgtr14 wrote:

I can agree with you on most things, but this i cannot. Power weapons are annoying when used against you yes, but keep in mind they are RANDOM, anyone can get them anytime and thats why they are balanced.
Just because it's given to whoever at random, doesn't mean it's balanced. If your opponent gets a bazooka then you're most likely dead already, and getting a bazooka will almost always kill your opponent. It's not an excuse or reason that sometimes you get to use it, and other times it's their turn. It's not even guaranteed that you'll get as many power weapons as your opponents anyways.
1 x
Shut up bitch!!

Rick Sanchez
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Alcoholic
SFD Account: Rick Sanchez
SFD Alias: Rick Sanchez
Started SFD: 1.5.0b

Post by Rick Sanchez » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:03 pm

mgtr14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm
Rick Sanchez wrote:
mgtr14 wrote:

Just because it's given to whoever at random, doesn't mean it's balanced. If your opponent gets a bazooka then you're most likely dead already, and getting a bazooka will almost always kill your opponent. It's not an excuse or reason that sometimes you get to use it, and other times it's their turn. It's not even guaranteed that you'll get as many power weapons as your opponents anyways.
No, it doesnt mean it's balanced, The fact that it has a relatively rare spawn chance does. Yeah, a bazooka will almost definetly kill your opponent, But so what, why is that a bad thing? I would understand if the player would have something to lose, other than a couple of minutes.
It's not even guaranteed that you'll get as many power weapons as your opponents anyways.
Dude, what game have you been playing? Nothing is guaranteed in sfd, other than death
0 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by RickAvory » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Rick Sanchez wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:03 pm
It's not even guaranteed that you'll get as many power weapons as your opponents anyways.
Dude, what game have you been playing? Nothing is guaranteed in sfd, other than death
I’m going to have to agree with Rick here. A complete removal of the system would be a mistake. I think this because it almost takes away from the chaotic atmosphere that the game already has. Sometimes what makes a game great isn’t always attributed to how competitive the game is, but how fun the game is. Now I can agree that when you want to play the game competitive these can be cheap, which brings me to my next point...

As I have said prior, a setting to reduce the spawn chances of a weapon would be an ideal compromise for both sides of the debate. More customisation for the host in my opinion is always ideal.
1 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:14 pm

Rick Sanchez wrote:
mgtr14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:43 pm
Rick Sanchez wrote:
[...]
[...]
No, it doesnt mean it's balanced, The fact that it has a relatively rare spawn chance does. Yeah, a bazooka will almost definetly kill your opponent, But so what, why is that a bad thing? I would understand if the player would have something to lose, other than a couple of minutes.
As others have said, power weapons are fun and change the match dynamic.
There are better ways to do so, any good weapon can do that. It's fun to use a magnum and your opponent will have to use cover and approach you carefully. It's not overpowered, just powerful. A melee weapon is definitely something to consider, a flare gun is harder to dodge but it has limited shots. A knife is usually thrown, so you'll have to be wary of that, I can go on. None of these weapons are explosives, instakill or stunlock until death.

Power weapons end fights too quickly, I think it's way more fun when I see 2 people duking it out proper, using anything to their advantage. It's always interesting. It's more fun to fight and watch. That happens with guns, melee, both, etc. You won't see bazookas putting up a lasting and entertaining fight, the opponent just dies.
Rick Sanchez wrote:

Then what is your point? Your reasoning was that the rare spawn chance balances it out, and now you're saying that it's not even guaranteed to do so? So then the rare spawn rate doesn't balance it out at all, like I've already said before.
RickAvory wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm
Rick Sanchez wrote:
[...]
I’m going to have to agree with Rick here. A complete removal of the system would be a mistake. I think this because it almost takes away from the chaotic atmosphere that the game already has. Sometimes what makes a game great isn’t always attributed to how competitive the game is, but how fun the game is. Now I can agree that when you want to play the game competitive these can be cheap, which brings me to my next point...
I play games for fun. I am a little competitive, but I still play games for fun. Wanting to remove power weapons doesn't mean I want SFD to be a competitive game, I've stated other reasons unrelated to "competitive". I don't think power weapons are fun.

And the game isn't chaotic because of power weapons. It's chaotic because you have 8 players trying to survive eachother in a small map, using guns, melee and the environment to kill each other. Some RNG makes every match dynamic and unique, and there are alot of tricks and mistakes you can do. You could remove power weapons and the game would still be as chaotic as it was before.
RickAvory wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm
As I have said prior, a setting to reduce the spawn chances of a weapon would be an ideal compromise for both sides of the debate. More customisation for the host in my opinion is always ideal.
I've already said it's a good compromise, and I'll also say again that there are better ways to do what power weapons do.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm

If you ask me there are several points
1. to help you WIN in the event you got rekt or just want to demolish 9 other players and feel like a warlord
2. if your good enough and (or) have enough equipment/ weapons you can stand a chance if you plan right, and when you do stand a chance its quite thrilling to set your plan into motion using the environment or any makeshift weapons you may have
3. Now that theirs a campaign these weapons are probably more helpful when fighting a boss or something
4. Pretty much every game has power ups but since you start out with nothing everything is a power up, so I guess id consider the power weapons "power ups"
5. when everyone is fighting and you see/hear someone with a power up theres an instant thought of I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE, and then your mission becomes for of to Survive rather than Slay the Competition
6. plus if im fighting someone way better than me a bazooka would even out the playing feild quite a bit

So in a way the power weapons activate what could be considered a boss fight that you may more may not be able to win depending on your skill level and equipment.
1 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 pm

MOOADAM wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm
1. to help you WIN in the event you got rekt or just want to demolish 9 other players and feel like a warlord
It's at the expense of alot of people, and I don't really feel like I "beat" someone when I used an OP weapon. Looks somewhat cool to do that though.
MOOADAM wrote:
2. if your good enough and (or) have enough equipment/ weapons you can stand a chance if you plan right, and when you do stand a chance its quite thrilling to set your plan into motion using the environment or any makeshift weapons you may have

Countering someone with a bazooka usually just boils down to camping them out or running away all the time. Unless the player with the bazooka has low HP, then it's death to approach them. You may think you can just use makeshifts or melee them, but keep in mind that if they're not stupid then you won't be able to disarm them. They can always switch to melee, kick you back and take out their bazooka again. It's incredibly risky.
MOOADAM wrote:
3. Now that theirs a campaign these weapons are probably more helpful when fighting a boss or something
Sure, altough I think other weapons work just as well. (Grenades, Molotovs, Flamethrower, Uzi, Magnum, Knife)
MOOADAM wrote:
4. Pretty much every game has power ups but since you start out with nothing everything is a power up, so I guess id consider the power weapons "power ups"
This isn't really a reason, it's still a power weapon that's way too OP.
MOOADAM wrote:
5. when everyone is fighting and you see/hear someone with a power up theres an instant thought of I GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE, and then your mission becomes for of to Survive rather than Slay the Competition
Your goal is always to survive anyways. And again, there are better ways to change the dynamic than using power weapons.
MOOADAM wrote:
6. plus if im fighting someone way better than me a bazooka would even out the playing feild quite a bit
If you're bad with using the bazooka, then they may even disarm you. It does give you a bigger chance, but not as much as you think. They could probably outrun you or camp it out.

Apart from that, a power weapon isn't restricted to new players. It could maybe take a new player 1-2 rockets to kill someone, and for good players it could just take 1 rocket. There's nothing that really tips the favour in your way. In the long run, out of all games, you'll be the one who has died the most to power weapons used by good players.
MOOADAM wrote:
So in a way the power weapons activate what could be considered a boss fight that you may more may not be able to win depending on your skill level and equipment.
A good player is already a boss fight, we don't need power weapons.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

MOOADAM
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Account: MOOADAM
SFD Alias: General Bird or MOOADAM
Post by MOOADAM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 am

mgtr14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 pm
MOOADAM wrote:
It's at the expense of alot of people, and I don't really feel like I "beat" someone when I used an OP weapon. Looks somewhat cool to do that though.
MOOADAM wrote:

Countering someone with a bazooka usually just boils down to camping them out or running away all the time. Unless the player with the bazooka has low HP, then it's death to approach them. You may think you can just use makeshifts or melee them, but keep in mind that if they're not stupid then you won't be able to disarm them. They can always switch to melee, kick you back and take out their bazooka again. It's incredibly risky.
MOOADAM wrote:
Sure, altough I think other weapons work just as well. (Grenades, Molotovs, Flamethrower, Uzi, Magnum, Knife)
MOOADAM wrote:
This isn't really a reason, it's still a power weapon that's way too OP.
MOOADAM wrote:
Your goal is always to survive anyways. And again, there are better ways to change the dynamic than using power weapons.
MOOADAM wrote:
If you're bad with using the bazooka, then they may even disarm you. It does give you a bigger chance, but not as much as you think. They could probably outrun you or camp it out.

Apart from that, a power weapon isn't restricted to new players. It could maybe take a new player 1-2 rockets to kill someone, and for good players it could just take 1 rocket. There's nothing that really tips the favour in your way. In the long run, out of all games, you'll be the one who has died the most to power weapons used by good players.
MOOADAM wrote:
A good player is already a boss fight, we don't need power weapons.
for 4. power ups are ment to be op/ stronger. Also if its teams and i suck im going to need something strong to beat 2-3 diffrent people.
ALso the power weapons are really good at destorying cover, (witht he boss fight thing regaurdless some people are just that good that you need a power weapon it takes time to get good and theres always someone better)

[the following is my basic argument] In almost every game theirs some OP weapon weather to even the odds of low hp or not being as good. OP pick ups turn the tide of battles simply, it was kind of a basic move to put in some sort of op pick up (in pretty much any game with an RPG, the rpg is op and when you see someone with it if your slick enoughf you can escape) tbh i dont think theres anyway to take the Power Weapons out its been in too long and its a big part of the game, the same way in fighting games theres a super attack that is often OP, its sort of a natral part of almost all games games to take it out this late would make the game balance between newbies

OP weapons/power ups/ or pickups are sort of a default naturally occuring thing in videogames plus its a bazooka it HAS to be in a game with guns right?
1 x

mgtr14
Superfighter
Superfighter
Post by mgtr14 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

MOOADAM wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 am
mgtr14 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 pm
[...]
for 4. power ups are ment to be op/ stronger. Also if its teams and i suck im going to need something strong to beat 2-3 diffrent people.
I don't agree with the first sentence, but I do agree with the second one. Although teammode just doesn't work in SFD.
MOOADAM wrote:
ALso the power weapons are really good at destorying cover, (witht he boss fight thing regaurdless some people are just that good that you need a power weapon it takes time to get good and theres always someone better)
You shouldn't destroy cover with it unless you're sure your opponent won't retreat before your shots hit. If you just blow up a bunch of crates without hurting anyone, then you've wasted ammo. You'd be surprised at how close you can get to someone when you have a bazooka, they will always try to run away. (Don't get too close though, they may try to melee you)
MOOADAM wrote:
(witht he boss fight thing regaurdless some people are just that good that you need a power weapon it takes time to get good and theres always someone better)
As I said, experienced players will get their hands on power weapons more often and use them better than new players.
Apart from that, you won't get good using power weapons. If your problem is that there are better players, then you should learn how to fight them (or atleast survive) instead of hoping that you'll get a power weapon to possibly kill them with.
MOOADAM wrote:
[the following is my basic argument] In almost every game theirs some OP weapon weather to even the odds of low hp or not being as good. OP pick ups turn the tide of battles simply, it was kind of a basic move to put in some sort of op pick up (in pretty much any game with an RPG, the rpg is op and when you see someone with it if your slick enoughf you can escape) tbh i dont think theres anyway to take the Power Weapons out its been in too long and its a big part of the game, the same way in fighting games theres a super attack that is often OP, its sort of a natral part of almost all games games to take it out this late would make the game balance between newbies
I don't like OP moves/weapons in general. I wouldn't add anything that "evens the odds" since it's almost always your fault you lost HP, and it'll be wielded better by experienced players anyways. There simply isn't a way to truly even the odds between skill levels, you have to accept that.
Remember when people thought the knife would give new players a chance? Now we have 52 damage combos and kill new players more easily. Exactly the same thing happened with power weapons, and exactly the same thing will happen with any new powerful weapons.
If you want to even the odds, get good. Any OP weapons or handicaps will be used better by experienced players.
MOOADAM wrote:
OP weapons/power ups/ or pickups are sort of a default naturally occuring thing in videogames plus its a bazooka it HAS to be in a game with guns right?
...As long as it's balanced, IMO.
0 x
Shut up bitch!!

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 am

Weapons in SFD isn't supposed to be balanced. Some weapons are more powerful (by design) than others and some doesn't spawn as often than others. Some weapons should make you want to stay out of melee range (like the chainsaw / shock-baton). Not everything in the game should gravitate towards melee-fights and sometimes only having fists to fight with won't get you far. Saying that a weapon is "OP" is individual opinions. If you would like to see some sort of change to a certain weapon bring that up in a separate topic. Don't just say "Power weapons are OP and the developers should remove them". Remember that the tables will turn and sometimes you will be holding the power weapons.

Many things are situational. Someone with low HP will have a hard time against spray-and-pray weapons like the Uzi. Is the Uzi overpowered now? You can always find a situation where an item will be better suited than others and impossible to deal with - but that's not a valid reason for us (the developers) why we should remove the item.

Presentation is EVERYTHING when bringing up ideas. Sell us your idea WHY something should be changed and HOW and WHY it makes the game better. Important of course is that your ideas align with our vision of the game.
 ! Message from: Gurt
Edit: This comment isn't a reply to anyone specific in this thread but to the community in general when discussions about weapons are brought up.
1 x
Gurt