Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Jump attack sometimes makes you tumble

Did you encounter a problem, exploit, glitch or bug while playing the game or running the dedicated server software? Tell us about it here.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Jump attack sometimes makes you tumble

Post by Splinter » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:08 am

Here's the video showing the bug:

https://youtu.be/frXG1VRQwGE

As far as I know, you're not supposed to tumble if you block jump attacks, no matter the situation. Only jump kicks on the way down make you tumble even if you block it (by tumble, I mean falling with no control of your character).

But there's a situation, shown in the video, where you do tumble. The guy punching needs to punch shortly before landing, and if I'm not mistaken, the guy that tumbles must jump from lower ground.
1 x
Hold your breath.

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:44 pm

No, i don't think its a bug. It has been like this at least since beta 1.02c. The person who blocks doesen't have to jump up from lower ground either (you tumble even if you jump block from the same height). I think the theory behind this is that you tumble because of the force coming down when you jump up.
Also jump kicks makes people tumble if you kick while jumping up (upkick) and someone else blocks it midair, not just on the way down.
Both situations can lead to death by falldamage if you are standing on a small platform, and its pretty annoying, because when you tumble by a down smash, by the time you manage to recover (get up), the other person can grab or punch you and you can't defend yourself. (as seen in your video, you can start moving before he can)
1 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Post by Splinter » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I tested it again, and you're right about not having to jump from lower ground. You tumble too if you quickly jump and block, while the other guy punches right before he lands. Maybe the guy punching must be falling at a somewhat high velocity, otherwise no, you don't tumble if you block his punch mid-air. Here's another video I have, where a guy blocks my jump attack and tumbles. And I'm totally not showing off this badass combo or anything! ;)

https://youtu.be/-yPLmx2UXWw

I also tested kicks again just to make sure, but they don't make you tumble if you block them, only if the kicking guy is falling down, not on the way up.
0 x
Hold your breath.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Hjarpe and I discussed the jump attack making players tumble even when blocking in the air. It's old code from several years ago and we don't remember the full intent of the decisions back then. As it feels inconsistent and buggy that you may (or may not) tumble in the air after blocking (depending on how high you jump vs your opponent and timing of your blocking and when you jump) we have decided to tweak this for the next major update.
Note: The jump kick remains intact as it works as intended and has other rules compared to the jump attack.
3 x
Gurt

Iliyan
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Enthusiast of SF and SFD
SFD Account: Iliyan
SFD Alias: Iliyan[44]
Started SFD: Carving for it since normal SF

Post by Iliyan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 am

That tumbling efect reminds me that in elevator you some times when the elevator moves up or down if yore knoked down you get aditional knok outs making you stay on the ground for aditional 2 seconds is this related somehow to what spilinter is talking about.
1 x

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:57 am

Iliyan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:36 am
That tumbling efect reminds me that in elevator you some times when the elevator moves up or down if yore knoked down you get aditional knok outs making you stay on the ground for aditional 2 seconds is this related somehow to what spilinter is talking about.
I know exactly what you are talking about, and this is extremely infuriating. I doubt much can be done though. Box2D is a very complicated code and because you are on a moving object, it is going to be buggy.
0 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst