Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Make shurikens spawn in groups of 3 per drop

Give us your input on how we may improve the game in future versions.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules. For this forum you also need to follow these additional rules.
Splinter
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Grenade chef
Started SFD: 1.1.6
Make shurikens spawn in groups of 3 per drop

Post by Splinter » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:29 am

Shuriken is a cool weapon but it feels kinda cheap to me, it's too "spammy", because often people have at least 7 at their disposal. In an FFA match, there's always someone with shurikens. You're just fighting and suddenly a guy starts spamming 7 shurikens at you; it feels cheap.

I checked the map editor, and shurikens have a spawn rate value of 22, while grenades and molotovs have 25. Other items from the blue crate, like laser sight and speedboost, have spawn rates of 10, 12, something around that. I think you could reduce the spawn rate of shurikens a lot, OR make them spawn only 3 at a time, instead of 7 shurikens per drop. By making them spawn only 3, you'd still encounter them often, but then you have to be strategic and choose. You could stick with your 1 grenade that you have in your inventory or pick 3 shurikens, which one could be more useful? 1 grenade deals more damage than 3 shurikens and grenades are better for flushing out campy enemies, but shurikens are good to disarm people and to engage in melee.
13 x
Hold your breath.

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:55 am

oh hey look at me I'm on less than 25% hp and you got at least 80hp? lemme grab my shurikens and continuously and consistently wait for you to TRY and block them then throw them so I drop you down to my level and/or potentially kill you. I thought grabs were cheap but this, this is just unfair. I agree. The damage they deal and the amount you get in a stack is ridiculous. i feel dirty using this weapon. definitely need less in a stack.
4 x
-Evilsack

RickAvory
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Sunny City Nationalist
SFD Account: Rick Avory
SFD Alias: (EA) Rick Avory
Started SFD: Sep 2016

Post by RickAvory » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 am

Instead of lowering the concentration of shurikens, I would merely advocate for an extended cool down on when they can be thrown. The concentration and damage are fine, just the fact that it can be thrown one after the other is an incredibly cheap and almost an indefensible tactic.
1 x
We must root out the impurities in our midst

Vitamin E
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Completely Neutral
Started SFD: around 2012
Post by Vitamin E » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:44 am

I agree that shurikens should be reduced to 3 - 4 shurikens or their damage should be reduced because as of now they’re a bit bothersome to deal with. Even if you block half of the shurikens thrown at you it’s most likely you’ll get hit with 3 other shurikens because it’s not possible to block fast enough. I also wish that blocked shurikens could be caught and thrown back. Shurikens that aren’t blocked would disappear like they usually do
Last edited by Vitamin E on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:41 pm

I'd prefer if it were 5 shurikens and its damage was reduced. Its high damage is what doesn't seem to make sense for me when I compare. I wouldn't say it's overpower, but yeah, cheap might be the word
1 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:40 pm

I think that the damage ok, but they should have less amount (3-4) like most people say, as we encounter them too frequently.
0 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Post by Gurt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:54 pm

Our intent with shuriken is that you should have a bunch of them and nothing we want to stray too far from.

Looking closer into the shuriken (based on recent activity and comments) you pick up 7 of them, each dealing 20 damage with a total potential damage of 140. Meaning you will have to block 3 of out of 7 (basically half of them) just to avoid dying from full health which is very hard to time and not what we initially intended. After some internal discussion we're making a few tweaks to the shuriken.

1: We're lowering the pick up amount from 7 to 6.
2: We're lowering the damage from 20 to 17.
3: We're making them sheathe-able (see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3727)

It might not sound like much but now the potential damage output is 102 (compared to 140 before) and you only have to block one shuriken of 6 in order to survive which is much easier. We still want the shuriken to be this thrown weapon you can throw a lot of in short session.

We're leaving the default spawn rate unchanged for now.

This change will come together with the next campaign.
7 x
Gurt