Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Status Update 2020-09-07

Status updates from MythoLogic Interactive about the game progress.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer
Title: Lead programmer
Started SFD: Made it!

Status Update 2020-09-07

Post by Gurt » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 pm

Status Update 2020-09-07

We just released update SFD v.1.3.7. So what's next, what's happening now, will there be new content?

The v.1.3.7 was in a way our last planned update for the game for some time. We have no more planned content for the game. With that said our next update for SFD will be to bring back our own account system in some way (for you that remember that) and start selling SFD on other digital game distribution platforms other than Steam. This won't happen the next months but we will start looking into it.

But before bringing SFD to other platforms we will re-visit our older flash games Superfighters and Barbarian Onslaught: The Secret of Steel. Our goal is to create standalone .exe files without the ads and offer both games as free downloads. We just need to find the old source files first if they remain intact.

We also have plans to release the source files for the flash games together with a license you must follow if you want to tinker with the flash games. Just keep in mind that we were students back then creating our first games so the code might reflect this in odd ways.

That's what we WANT to do but I have no idea if we CAN do it. Worste case: the source files are lost or can't be read anymore. :/

For you that have followed us and understand why we're starting on our next project (instead of some random gamer thinking MythoLogic Interactive is a 4+ crew working full time on the game not delivering content as they "should") - Thank you for following us this far and taking your time to understand!
11 x
Gurt

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Wow, so your actually abandoning this potential goldmine? This game still has a lot of potential to shine. I've been following the game since Alpha, but i don't understand why you would leave it in this state. I take it, there's no free version coming?
2 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

Odex64
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content Creator
SFD Account: Odex64
Started SFD: PreAlpha

Post by Odex64 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Does this mean there won't be any new content update except bug fixes?! If so, it's a real waste of potential as @Mighty Spirit the 2 said, however I can't blame you for that; You've been working on this game for more than 7 years and I understand your decision to switch to new projects.

What do you mean by "account system" ? Are you going to implement a login system like older versions of the game to prevent cracks? That would be great.

Finally you're going to release the source code of your Flash games. The fun is guaranteed for us content creators :D. I just hope the original source code is still intact.

I've been part of community for years and I played this game almost all the days back then. It's a blow to the heart knowing SFD is in its last stage. Hopefully you're making new games and I wish only the best for your upcoming projects.
2 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content-maker
SFD Account: Shock
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.0.

Post by Shock » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:56 pm

If this is the last update actually, i am really happy to always remember what this game has given to me...
This is really sad when something, that you used to play for 7 years just finishes now, you lost some part of your life, but i'm not sad of losing time. Thanks for this game community, i started to make maps, i learned how to draw arts, i learned how to draw pixel arts and there's a lot of different activities i learned to. Well now i am learning C#, this way helped me in some kind to finally understand, that i have to make my game.

I'd just say thank you. Gurt, Hjarpe... You made actually a great game, even if it wasn't this good, the only thing i actually liked in most, is to make maps and i made a lot of them, i spend 5 active years on level-design, with this game i learned how to do this, i still had some problems with structure and now i fixed it.
I was happy when i first met actual players who helped me to make these maps, yes they were "screaming" on me at first when my maps were ugly, but then i increased my skill. During these "endless" years they all left the game and it feels like i am empty inside and i am the only one left, because noone needs this anymore, i feel so much kenopsia.

Now my mind just filled with nostalgia to old good days, when i just started to play, there was so many great stories with clans, so much scripts, maps and texture-packs, many great videos about the game and many, many, many other things. Well in this moment i think it's time for farewells, but i still have so many maps unfinished... So when i finish them, i'll just leave.
7 x
-Content-maker.

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:19 pm

Mighty Spirit the 2 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:48 pm
Wow, so your actually abandoning this potential goldmine? This game still has a lot of potential to shine. I've been following the game since Alpha, but i don't understand why you would leave it in this state. I take it, there's no free version coming?
I would not say we're abandoning the game and you should not interpret what I said like abandoning it completely. If inspiration strikes and we really want to make some new content for SFD we will. We're still going to support the backend servers and expanding SFD to other digital platforms which most likely will bring in new players (especially those that refuses Steam and prefers other platforms).

Even if we spend another 8+ years in our spare time on SFD I can't see a future where it would sell better to such an extent that we can work full time on games. Time we can better spend creating new games and sell together with existing titles we have released. If I worked full time creating games I would spend some of that time on SFD.

SFD just have inherited problems we can't fix when it comes to some of its physics due to the nature of the Box2D engine and the physics driven chaos we want to simulate in the game. We never anticipated all the problems the physics in SFD would bring us years further down the development. Problems that is kept being brought up again and again and again... we're happy with SFD in it's current state even though the physics can be wonky and janky at times. We can't fix it without starting all over again by removing the box2D engine and the physics driven chaos - in which case it wouldn't be the same game anymore.

Just like you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket we don't want to invest our remining lifetime, sanity and inspiration into one game only and never creating anything else again.

While older players will leave and do other things in their lives some new players will find this game and hopefully create their own new stories.
8 x
Gurt

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Well, I don't think this is such dramatic news - we told you months ago not to expect any more content updates, now we're just extending that to mechanical changes as well. We'll still be around, the game will still be around (in more stores as well!), and the servers will stay up as long as anyone is playing.

I'm immensely proud of this game, but we started the project when we were much younger and inexperienced. We've changed, evolved, grown apart from the game over the years, and are no longer in a mental space where we can keep working on it. That isn't to say we'll never return to Sunny City again... I love the world, I love the gameplay, I love the music, and I agree there is a lot of still-untapped potential here. I can see us maybe giving it another shot in the future, but for now, we're moving on. We look forward to taking the lessons we learned from SFD and completely over-compensating applying them to our next project.

As for what you said @Shock, the single most gratifying thing about SFD for me has been to hear how the game has helped you and others creatively and personally. We always hoped the game would inspire creativity, but we didn't imagine it would teach people disciplines like coding, game design and art from the ground up - that's beautiful.

That said, you're way too young to be wallowing in nostalgia :lol: Look forward, keep evolving, learning, finding stuff to be excited about, and keep making awesome stuff! The time spent won't have been wasted. Thank you!
4 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Nebraska4
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Nebraska4
SFD Alias: Nebraskee
Started SFD: Early 2019
Post by Nebraska4 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Damn, I was hoping that perhaps you'd add more skins and clothes and stuff that doesn't effect gameplay. Well, I guess this is it then. Sad to see.
2 x
Well who knows

Dark
Meatbag
SFD Account: Dark

Post by Dark » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Good luck to your new games,
I really had fun with playing SFD
Thank you Gurt and Hjarpe
You guys gave me a good memories
5 x

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Okey, well, i hope there will be at least some of new tiles in future game versions if there will be actually and any new cosmetic items.
There are some still un-opened items as well, so i hope there will be some last challenges to get them :)
Hjarpe wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:52 pm

That said, you're way too young to be wallowing in nostalgia :lol: Look forward, keep evolving, learning, finding stuff to be excited about, and keep making awesome stuff! The time spent won't have been wasted. Thank you!
I think there's another trouble which is actually about my life, i don't have any friends in real life and i think i never had the actual friend, so this is why nostalgia sometimes fills my head... I think i have friends only in this game, even if they live too far, but most of players actually helped me to feel that i'm not alone, well i don't know anything that worse than lonelieness.

Hardest part of my life is panic attacks for my whole life, i just want to explain that this game also helped me with such things because when you do something, you don't think about your problems, you're doing what you like and this is good for creativity to be honest.

I have a very suppressed aggression and when you play aggressive(this game is full of aggressive/dynamic gameplay and i like it), sometimes your aggression decreases.

And yes, i'll keep my creativity, i hope :)
5 x
-Content-maker.

Sh4d0w
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: the xD guy
SFD Alias: too many aliases
Started SFD: before sfd

Post by Sh4d0w » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:58 pm

damn, i feel old
1 x

Del Poncho
Superfighter
Superfighter
Started SFD: July 2012 (1.0.5)

Post by Del Poncho » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:23 pm

It's been a good ride. It was worth every second, and will be worth every second more.
4 x
The risk I took was caluclated, but man.....am I bad at math.

naooa
Meatbag

Post by naooa » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 am

Just bought the game after playing the original one on parsec with my cousin , reliving some nostalgia. It is truly an amazing game and I am extremely happy I randomly remember about it and searched ''superfighter'' on steam out of sheer curiosity. Will follow you guys on twitter, excited for what the future holds, you guys are really talented and the og SF and SFD are both amazing games.
1 x

Billy
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Owner of a failed Clan
SFD Account: Billy
SFD Alias: Billy
Started SFD: October 2015

Post by Billy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:34 pm

I have not been as active in the community in the past few years as I would have liked to be. But I still just want to say that I am immensely thankful that I was allowed to play a (small) role in the games development. It definitely was a big part of my life for quite some time years ago. I will definitely be checking out whatever project Gurt and Hjarpe decide on working on next, not only because I feel like I owe it to them (Honestly, thank you guys so much for the free copy if the game, I felt really honored that day. In fact, I still do.), but also because I know that they will make another great game. A little fun fact: I actually constantly had the forum page opened in my mobile browser for the past years, just in case I suddenly felt the need to check in what this amazing community was currently talking about.

This feels oddly like writing a goodbye letter, but let me assure you, it is not. I still have a map to finish :p
3 x
Join Delta Squad today, if you mail me now you will get this cool private rank for FREE, but thats not all, you will also get an imaginary Cookie, so better hurry up!
Yea, ehh, that was a big fail...

Guille_dlC
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Guille_dlC
SFD Alias: Ghost
Started SFD: Pre-alpha 1.6.0

Post by Guille_dlC » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:06 pm

I'm as sad as anyone to hear these news, but they were due someday. As others, I also think that SFD still has a lot of potential, but since I don't know how you guys are faring I have no way of judging this decision. Still, I wonder if there's a possibility for the community to make weapons and clothes mods. I don't know how well this fits into your idea of the game, but I think it would be a nice thing to do, at least in the future. I also really love that you're trying to make the other projects free for all! Overall, thank you both so much for this fantastic game that you have spent so much time working on. It has come a long way since it started (and since I first played it) and y'all should be very proud of it. I hope your future projects go well! Godspeed!
1 x
Remove melee

Turted
Meatbag
SFD Alias: Turted
Started SFD: September 2018

Post by Turted » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:19 am

I feel very old, but its good that you won't let the game die
1 x
Jeff 8-)

Juansero29
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Superfighter
SFD Account: Juansero29
SFD Alias: Juansero29
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.0.5

Post by Juansero29 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:19 am

I feel sad reading everyone's goodbye letter. I'm hoping to bring life to the game somehow with the project I'm working on along with @Shock and hope that both old and new players find their way in SFD. I've also grown with this game even if I'm not a very active forum user. I feel like somehow I want to give back to the community some of the stuff they gave to me in those past years. Hopefully something will go up.

I have invested in to servers, one in NA and another in Europe, purely to host SFD.

With the help of my fellow map creators, I think we could probably give back a bit of fresh air to the game, and bring the community back.

Or maybe it's just a stupid dream... Who knows. I guess I will find out.

When the time comes, I will make an official post about what we're cooking with @Shock even if, I guess, most of the active players have already found out by now :)
3 x

Code: Select all

boom() {
  echo "BOOM!";			
}
BOOM!
----------------------------------------
Setting the world free since 1998
----------------------------------------

Gurt
Lead Programmer
Lead Programmer

Post by Gurt » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:17 pm

Every game's community changes as the game evolves and the players involved moves on. The community that was Pre-Alpha has evolved over the years and is now the community we see today. It might not be same. Old players leave for new adventures in life and new players join in. As such the community changes over time. Now when we (the developers) begin our next project the community for SFD will once again evolve into a community that accepts that SFD won't get any new content and plays SFD for what it is.

This is at least what I feel for all games that I have ever played over the years. I don't think it's strange or unexpected to see old players leave :)
2 x
Gurt

ChopaVlone
Meatbag
SFD Account: ChopaVlone

Post by ChopaVlone » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:45 pm

Gurt wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:17 pm
Every game's community changes as the game evolves and the players involved moves on. The community that was Pre-Alpha has evolved over the years and is now the community we see today. It might not be same. Old players leave for new adventures in life and new players join in. As such the community changes over time. Now when we (the developers) begin our next project the community for SFD will once again evolve into a community that accepts that SFD won't get any new content and plays SFD for what it is.

This is at least what I feel for all games that I have ever played over the years. I don't think it's strange or unexpected to see old players leave :)
I don't even know how to begin to express the dislike I have with everything you wrote here..

"Old players leave for new adventures in life and new players join in. As such the community changes over time."
No that's is not true, "leave a game to look for new adventures" (Whatever that means), I go back and play games I played 8 years ago to get the same thrill and experience I had when I left it in. With SFD that's the opposite, the changes I see with this game have completely killed off the entire community of loyal players, the game has become more of a nerve wreck than enjoyable and you can ask most people here.

Also with the community change, that doesn't really make much sense. Communities change all the time, that doesn't mean that the core of a product needs a 180 turn? Of course there are changes to be made pretty much made changes that nobody asked for? There are game's here that have been around for decades but they modernise rather than completely alternate into a different game, because now the changes you made have completely perished the core fun? SFD possesed.

Also if the changes you're saying are necessary is true, then why is your game barely alive? are the posts complaining about the game's flawed fundamental mechanics not enough to make you think that the choices you made are wrong? What you did with your game is 1 step forward 2 steps backwards, literally.
And like Mighty said, I feel like with this post you're pretty much saying you're abandoning the game. You may have a different opinion or aim even but from what I understood and other's, also the way the game's been handled the past year or 2; it seems to me like the game is getting abandoned.

Hopefully you don't find this reply as an attack rather than an opinion. I haven't insulted anyone here so I don't feel like a ban would be justified.
1 x

Hjarpe
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Started SFD: The grey dawn of time

Post by Hjarpe » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:04 am

One thing you should know about SFD is that the broad vision of the game, most of the design and of course the technology, were chosen way back in 2011/2012. The streetsweepers weren't a last-minute feature we threw in because we thought they'd "bring in the casual players" or whatever, they were planned since at least 2014. We don't make choices based on what we think will bring in the most players, we make the game we want to make, following the initial vision until it's realized, for better or worse.

Whether you think it was improved or ruined in the end, we finished SFD. It's done, and it's a weird blurry snapshot of who we were at different points of that way-too-long development cycle. We're not likely to wind back features to an earlier version, because we don't think the game was ever better than in its current, final form. A dwindling community (I haven't checked the stats, but I'll take your word for it) could be a natural consequence of the game being older and veteran players moving on with their lives, as Gurt suggested. It could also be the result of those players falling in love with the work-in-progress version and not accepting subsequent changes which were planned from the start, which is a hard thing to predict or know what to do with - especially since new features were always complained about, not just the ones that stayed controversial months and years later.

If you feel the need to complain about the current state of SFD, I will ask that you be EXTREMELY specific about what you are proposing. Posts like the one above this don't do anything constructive (unless giving me a minor anxiety attack is considered constructive, but never mind that).

The main lessons we learned from SFD was 1) don't do early access and 2) keep the scope small enough to avoid burnout. I've applied at least one of those lessons to Filcher, and we'll apply both to Barbarian Odyssey!
4 x
Quinterball: Vigorously shaking a tile while rapidly tapping CTRL causes the selected tile to randomly flash red.
MythoLogic Interactive: By design.

Shock
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Shock » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 am

Will there be next Superfighters project in future? :)
1 x
-Content-maker.