Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Competetive Server

Discuss everything to do with Superfighters Deluxe here that doesn't fit in other Superfighters Deluxe Forums!
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
android7
Fighter
Fighter

Competetive Server

Post by android7 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:04 am

I'm writing this post to let you know that new 24h server is now up and running: Competetive Server
The main feature of the server is a ranking system. By defeating enemies you'll be gaining points, which will determine your place on the leaderboard. Fight against others over the top spot!

The project is now in it's infancy, features will be added, mechanics might be changed.

What you might want to know:
  • You loose 10% of your points each round
  • The gamemode is always FFA
  • Official maps only
  • Max ping 400
  • For technical reasons, pirate accounts are not allowed

Coming soon:
  • Online leaderboard (yay!)
  • Pre-match lobby, so you don't loose points when waiting for other players
If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback, leave it in this thread, or find me (NotBot) on the Official Mythologic Discord server, where I'm available more often than here.
2 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Wasted potential
SFD Account: ake004
SFD Alias: Retired SFD player
Started SFD: When melee was good

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:18 am

Ok, so i already tried to start up my own Competitive Server in Europe and i can tell you that the interest in any such game mode is zilch. 3 years ago it would have been really something big with the huge amount of players, but now the game is virtually dead and any attempt will most likely fail. Before you invest tons of time into developing something big, unless you really enjoy it, i would seriously advice you to research if there are people that would be willing to play what you make. It could save you a lot of disappointment. I'm saying this from first-hand experience, from me easily spending 100 hours working on my project.
Btw, what do you actually mean with "Competitive Server"? I don't see you wrote anything about disabling OP weapons from the game.
What i did for my server was as follows:
  • Made a Discord server for a competitive community to promote my SFD server
  • Made a video to promote my Discord Server
  • Re-edited official maps for faster game flow, limit exposed open environments, anti-camp script, tons of extra Easter eggs...
  • Removed OP weapons from the game, removed random crits, nerfed damages all around
  • Removed 10% roll hit chance
  • Removed grab+throw and nerfed grab+punch damage (Odex script)
  • (optionally can even remove throwing from the game)
  • Recently removed duds (not fully tested)
  • Removed cooldowns from Flat melee (just for fun)
  • (if i get around to it: give better areal control)

So i wonder if your server will even come close to mine in terms of "Competitive".
To quote the words of the great BlackCat (former player)
There is no competition."
Your ranking system sounds like a pretty great idea, but unfortunately it comes a few years too late.
2 x
🎶I will tell your story if you die
I will tell your story and keep you alive the best i can
But I've always had the feeling we would die young
Some die young
🎵
https://i.imgur.com/D479VLi.png

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:45 am

Competetive might have been the wrong word to use. Ranked is probably better.
I'm not planning on altering the game mechanics at all.

Due to some obscure technical issues, the server sometimes crashes. After that, I have to manually restart it. So it's not always online. I'll be looking to solve the problem this weekend. Also that will be when I'll add the other stuff, (improved scoring system, online leaderboard).
2 x

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:34 am

I've added some changes:

Reduced the score loss to 2%
Online leaderboard is now available: sfdnext.com (you need to complete a match for the server to remember your name)
0 x

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 am

Since Filcher is coming out soon, I've decided to host an event.
on 14 September 2021 07:00:00 GMT+0000
whoever is on top of the leaderboard
https://sfdnext.com/
gets a free copy of Filcher
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:59 pm

android7 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 am
on 14 September 2021 07:00:00 GMT+0000
whoever is on top of the leaderboard
https://sfdnext.com/
gets a free copy of Filcher
Just to clarify, are you offering access to the Beta, or to the full product once it is released? Is the copy for the winner bought with your own money or is this sponsored by the devs?
0 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Uhm, so what is this actually? A script that anyone can use or something else?
What would really be fun is that while waiting for other players to join, instead of an empty lobby like in most games, the player gets transported to another single player game mode map. Like a parkour map, doodle jump, small zombie map, aim trainer, rocket rider flappy bird.... anything really.
android7 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:45 am
I don't really care since i probably won't play there in it's current form, but help me understand what the purpose of including a ranking system in a totally luck based game without balancing is? (The developers could have coded this into the game themselves, if they saw any purpose in it)
What is the purpose to create a rank, if the outcome is in the end not based on skill, but on what weapons you got at the start?
You realize the suggestion to put a ranking system in-game is not new. This and Kill/Death ratio has been brought up in the past numerous times. Take a look at this post from 2016-2018
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=867&start=20 (it's a bit different, but it touches on the topic)
I'll make it short, this was the best answer:
Rick Sanchez wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 pm
Anyone can get a 1000 kills with the current rng, i don't think that would be the best criteria to determine your "rank". This is why i've proposed a sort of ELO system be added to the game.
- and this was back in 2018 when the game was still relatively decent in terms of balance.
Today the game is filled to the brink with chaos, RNG and no balancing, I guess just like the devs wanted. Such a system cannot work properly.

And how do you calculate the points? Is it just points for every kill? In that case the players at the top of the leaderbord would just be the ones with the most times on their hands. Not everyone can afford to play the game for hours…

android7 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:45 am
Ok, fair enough. I booted up SFD again and checked out your server description. Hm. "Competitive". Ok so your plan is to deliver a prize to whoever gets the highest points, correct? That in itself is creating a competition and incentive to tryhard, is it not? By all means, keep calling it competitive, but cmon we both know that's not true. To create a sustainable competitive environment, the game has to be "altered". This is where Scripts come into play, and thank god the devs kept updating the ScriptAPI capabilities.

It also won't solve runners and camping if you don't change the map layouts, as official maps are notorious for these problems. In fact by introducing a prize, your actively encouraging players to stick to a boring meta. Trust me, I've played this game for long enough and talked to many players to see its problems. The meta would be to
1 Start with trying to get a good weapon
1.1 if you get a good weapon fire from safe distance
1.2 look for more weapons while running around map
2 If you didn't get a good weapon find a good cover spot and run from others
2.1 until you get a weapon avoid conflict and run
3 Always find the best spot with the most shoot range and cover (aka camp)
4 Always run and gun
5 If you have to melee get a sharp weapon, look for abusable map design to spam
5.1 Always end combos with throw

Heck, I could probably get a pretty good score just by sticking to this list. But for me it's not enjoyable to play this way and it certainly is not enjoyable for others to play against this.

Don't get me wrong, your idea is good, but the implementation is contradictory.

Listen, you have to possibility here to change the way the game is played on a community level. A golden chance to change the nature of the game for the better, a (good) ranking system is one step, but it is not a lot in itself. You would have to be willing to do all the hard work to perfect a real (as good as we can with the limitations) competitive game mode where players can be proud of standing at the top 10. This is a big project. I can help you with this, at least try to. I can send you all the stuff I've already made. I'm willing to use up whatever free time I have to aid you in what ways I can. Maybe we can even do a big community collab and get others with long experience on board.

And if you're not interested, that's ok too. Either way I'm still intrigued in talking with you.
1 x
Some die young
🎵

Odex64
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Content Creator
SFD Account: Odex64
Started SFD: PreAlpha

Post by Odex64 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 pm

It depends what do you mean by "competitive". A simple gamemode where the player with most kills gets a reward (still luck based), or a skilled server? I think @android7 focused on the former, but I agree with @Mighty Spirit the 2 if you want to make a real competitive server. First of all you should alter some game mechanics and somehow prevent all unfair tactics / spots etc.. but that'd make the game boring af IMO. Said that good luck with your project.
0 x

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:40 pm

KliPeH wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:59 pm
Just to clarify, are you offering access to the Beta, or to the full product once it is released? Is the copy for the winner bought with your own money or is this sponsored by the devs?
Filcher is coming out on September 14. Winner gets the full game. Not sponsored.

Regarding the Mighty Spirit's message:

There's a point softcap (you loose % at the end of every round) so once you have 5000 points you need to get more than 100 points every round just to not loose points. Since I gave 14 day notice I feel like any reasonably interested player has a chance to reach whatever rank they can hold.

The game is random, but better players will win more often. Individual rounds don't really matter. Everyone can get lucky.

I'll respond to the other things later, I need to go now.
0 x

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm

I see why you dislike me calling it a competetive server, I had a different meaning of that word in mind when I called it that. I meant it like "it's a competition for the better spot on the leaderboard" not like "skill based only".

Regardless, I'll stick to that name now.

Listen, you have to possibility here to change the way the game is played on a community level. A golden chance to change the nature of the game for the better, a (good) ranking system is one step, but it is not a lot in itself. You would have to be willing to do all the hard work to perfect a real (as good as we can with the limitations) competitive game mode where players can be proud of standing at the top 10. This is a big project. I can help you with this, at least try to. I can send you all the stuff I've already made. I'm willing to use up whatever free time I have to aid you in what ways I can. Maybe we can even do a big community collab and get others with long experience on board.
I'm sure there are better things to do with your free time. As some said:
Your ranking system sounds like a pretty great idea, but unfortunately it comes a few years too late.
There is no competition.
1 x

Mighty Spirit the 2
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Mighty Spirit the 2 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:12 am

Odex64 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:30 pm
First of all you should alter some game mechanics and somehow prevent all unfair tactics / spots etc.. but that'd make the game boring af IMO. Said that good luck with your project.
Yes, it's boring to have consistency in the game, it's boring that some players have reached a certain skill ceiling where they want to compare themselves to each other. It's not boring to get crited of a map at the start of rounds by a pistol shot, it's not boring to get thrown of a map by a grabber, it's not boring to get killed by OP weapons you can actually not defend yourself against. With this logic it is simply boring to play the game, and it's exciting to have to wait to play it again next round in like 1,5 min. Repeat this (unfortunate, but I've experienced this) cycle for a while, and how much time did you actually get to play the game itself and how much time did you spend waiting?
Anyway to each his own. Thanks for helping me out with the scripts.
Yes, good luck anyway with your project.
android7 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm
That's correct, you don't get points for having fun.
Wow, so you actually want people to compete so hard that they forget to have fun? That's a pretty unhealthy relationship with any game.
android7 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:23 pm
I'm sure there are better things to do with your free time.
I do, I'll still be here if you change your mind.
There is no competition.
I wrote those sentences before you informed me that you had basically started a tournament. "There is no competition" - until you create competition.
android7 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:40 pm
The game is random, but better players will win more often.
I can say this "The more luck you add to an existing game, the more the better players will simply loose more often. This change can be upsetting to the better players" - Specifically because you are no longer rewarding them simply for being good. Luck (RNG) works almost always exclusively in favor of the inexperienced players.
android7 wrote:
Individual rounds don't really matter.
They do. From experience i can say it doesn't really feel that great when a complete newbie effortlessly kills you.
android7 wrote:
Everyone can get lucky.
That's actually the problem...

Well it's all subjective anyway, I was after all the face of the Competitive SFD movement for a long time, and it's spokesperson.
0 x
Some die young
🎵

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:25 am

I'm sorry if my previous replies seem a bit toxic (#mood)

Long story short:
I misused the word 'competetive'.
The server isn't tailored exclusively to the preferences of skilled players.
The point system is somewhat exploitable, points can be gained using tactics that are not 'fun' for the player and/or others.
Vanilla maps and game mechanics are used. The only thing that I might change is the scoring system.

There's a friend request waiting for you on Discord, Mighty.
1 x

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:08 am

Attention Superfighters!

Only 3 days left!
Thanks to everyone who helped test the script to make sure there are no bugs.

To resolve one of the issues player names had to be reset. You need to play a match on the server to make your name appear on the https://sfdnext.com leaderboard.
0 x

android7
Fighter
Fighter

Post by android7 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:25 am

The event celebrating the release of Filcher has ended.
Metro_law#XTC - 10884pts
Dark_Blood - 7326pts
FreeGunner - 5725pts
(instructions on https://sfdnext.com)

Big thanks to everyone who participated!
0 x

TheOmistaja
Meatbag
SFD Account: OMISTAJA
Post by TheOmistaja » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:19 am

This is a very cool server, i like no drones!
1 x