Dear forum users! In compliance with the new European GDPR regulations, we'd just like to inform you that if you have an account, your email address is stored in our database. We do not share your information with third parties, and your email address and password are encrypted for security reasons.

New to the forum? Say hello in this topic! Also make sure to read the rules.

Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

Here you can talk about other things not related to Superfighters Deluxe or other games by MythoLogic Interactive.
Forum rules
By using the forum you agree to the following rules.
GreenyShark
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Stealing kills from range
SFD Alias: Greeny
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.7.0

Re: Anime and Manga Discussion Thread

Post by GreenyShark » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:42 pm

One Punch Man seems like a really good anime, Its about a guy named Saitama(not the city) who trained hard and becomes a hero who can one punch everything to death.
Last edited by KliPeH on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed double quoting.
0 x

Cider
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: $mooth Criminal
SFD Account: Cider
SFD Alias: (LM) Cider
Started SFD: Pre Alpha 1.6.4

Post by Cider » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:02 am

Kyoukai no Kanata shattered my heart
0 x
Breakin' necks and cashin' checks
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Retired Santa
Fighter
Fighter
SFD Account: Ruro
SFD Alias: Retired Santa
Started SFD: November 2013

Post by Retired Santa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:05 am

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) was pretty neato. Right now I'm finishing Stardust Crusaders. I'm horrible at explaining stuff, so you'll just have to take my word for it and watch it.
0 x
"Take care of yourselves, and have yourself a damn good one."

MRBoss [The Bossess]
Fighter
Fighter
Title: The Boss of [The Bossess]
Post by MRBoss [The Bossess] » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Attack on titan is the best anime EVER everyone should see it
1 x
Be a Boss

Taikairama
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: j ok da I'm da iad ok da I'll
Started SFD: 1.6.0 maybe

Post by Taikairama » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:06 am

Well if you like superheroes just see boku no hero academia is pretty awesome, the first season is over and the second was announced for 2017
0 x
Rubber wrote:also paywalls remove toxic players

The Redeemer
Fighter
Fighter
Title: The Redeemer
SFD Alias: The Redeemer
Started SFD: ???
Post by The Redeemer » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:20 am

anyone watch akami ga kill it aired early this year on toonami and ended a few months ago and i have to say i am not really into anime but this was the first anime show i watched and it was so sad and unfair if you watch the show expect a lot of deaths of your favorite characters but otherwise it was a really good show.
0 x

KliPeH
Title: [happy moth noises]
SFD Account: KliPeH
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.4.2

Post by KliPeH » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:17 pm

The Redeemer wrote:anyone watch akami ga kill it aired early this year on toonami and ended a few months ago and i have to say i am not really into anime but this was the first anime show i watched and it was so sad and unfair if you watch the show expect a lot of deaths of your favorite characters but otherwise it was a really good show.
I tried watching it and dropped it after barely making it through the first episode. The show was outright unbearable to watch.

It presents you with cringeworthy romcom tropes on top of romcom tropes, left and right, making them impossible to overlook. The rebel assassin group the protagonist joins consists of 7 members, half of them being girls; a pink-haired loli with a massive gun (because we need to make things look badass), a distant ("socially awkward", as the Wiki describes her) red-eyed chick that fights with a sword, and a gigantic-boobed, blonde catgirl. The show tries to make things colorful and bright so they look interesting, but also has gore and long, exaggerated fights (to look badass), but also makes the character a run-of-the-mill teenage kid who gets all awkward when he sees anything that resembles tits.

If that's how Akame ga Kill tries to hook its viewers I want none of it. It tries to be funny, and cool-looking, and interesting, but achieves none of that. It's like it's trying to appeal to a more desperate audience that'll get excited at the first sight of the big-breasted female characters than going for something that could benefit it much more in my opinion - a serious, gritty atmosphere the events in the first episode could absolutely be characterized by (corruption, poverty, death).

"When you step back and look at it, Akame Ga Kill is really just a typical shonen fighting anime [...]. A country boy comes to the city looking for work so as to help his poor village [...], the big city where he is treated like crap by the soldier enlistment office, taken advantage of by a thief (thus losing all of his money), and forced to spend the night on the street. But as the story progresses, he is spotted by a kind, noble girl and taken into her loving home."
► Show Spoiler
"The twist is that she and her family are all sadistic murderers. And on top of that, they have previously captured his two friends in the same way, with one already tortured to death and the second eventually dying in Tatsumi's arms. [...] The series then proceeds to completely ruin this dramatic moment by immediately having the other characters cracking jokes as they kidnap Tatsumi; and he acts more like the straight man in an anime rom-com than a person in shock. [...] Massive tonal shifts completely undercut many of the series' emotionally powerful moments."
► Show Spoiler
Taken from this Kotaku article.
Because getting thrown to the street on your very first day of arrival and being picked up by a psychopathic noble family is very likely. Yeah. And then getting to join an elite assassin force made up of teenage girls your age with badass weapons on that very same day. Sure. All in the first episode, too; we can't have people lose attention and stop watching our show, so we must throw all this in as a hook in hopes of them finding our female beauty models and "awesome" fights attractive enough.

This doesn't make sense in the context of the world the characters live in, and in the context that this guy is a fucking nobody who is suddenly being made part of a top-tier task force. It's a garbage tactic to make viewers want to keep watching the show, skipping the part where you develop the character or the world he lives in, and I personally refuse to take part in it.
1 x

Kamikaze
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Clan Spetsnaz
SFD Account: SPZKamikaze
SFD Alias: Kabbit/CerealGuy/Karl Ruprecht
Started SFD: PreAlpha 1.2.1 , August 2013

Post by Kamikaze » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:13 am

Neon Genesis Evangelion -Anime-
Evangelion is an apocalyptic anime, set in a futuristic Tokyo fifteen years after a worldwide cataclysm. The story centers on Shinji, a teenage boy who is recruited by his father into the shadowy organization NERV to pilot a giant bio-machine mecha called an Evangelion in combat against monstrous beings known as Angels. The series explores the experiences and emotions of Evangelion pilots and members of NERV as they attempt to prevent another catastrophe. In the series there are many references to psychoanalytic concepts, such as the oral stage, introjection, oral personality, ambivalence,[1] and the death drive.[2] In particular, the series references elements of the works of Sigmund Freud,[3][4] Jacques Lacan,[5] Arthur Schopenhauer,[6] Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Jean-Paul Sartre and others.[7] It features religious symbolism throughout the series, including themes and imagery derived from Kabbalah, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and Shinto.

Fullmetal Alchemist Manga and Anime ... I cry with this anime ;-;
Fullmetal Alchemist takes place in an alternate history, in the fictional country of Amestris (アメストリス Amesutorisu). In the world, alchemy is one of the most-practiced sciences; Alchemists who work for the government are known as State Alchemists (国家錬金術師 Kokka Renkinjutsushi) and are automatically given the rank of Major in the military. Alchemists have the ability, with the help of patterns called Transmutation Circles, to create almost anything they desire. However, when they do so, they must provide something of equal-value in accordance with the Law of Equivalent Exchange. The only things Alchemists are forbidden from transmuting are humans and gold. There has never been a successful human transmutation; those who attempt it lose a part of their body and the result is a horrific inhuman mass. Attemptees are confronted by Truth (真理 Shinri), a pantheistic and semi-cerebral God-like being who tauntingly regulates all alchemy use and whose nigh-featureless appearance is relative to whom Truth is conversing with; the series' antagonist, Father, and some other characters, claim and believe that Truth is a personal God who punishes the arrogant, a belief that Edward denies, citing a flaw in Father's interpretation of Truth's works.

Attemptees of Human Transmutation are also thrown into the Gate of Truth (真理の扉 Shinri no Tobira), where they receive an overwhelming dose of information, but also allowing them to transmute without a circle. All living things possess their own Gate of Truth, and per the Gaea hypothesis heavenly bodies like planets also have their own Gates of Truth. It is possible to bypass the Law of Equivalent Exchange (to an extent) using a Philosopher's Stone, a red, enigmatic substance. Philosopher's Stones can be used to create Homunculi, artificial humans of proud nature. Homunculi have numerous superhuman abilities unique amongst each other and look down upon all humanity. With the exception of one, they do not age and can only be killed via the destruction of their Philosopher's Stones.

There are several cities throughout Amestris. The main setting is the capital of Central City (セントラルシティ Sentoraru Shiti), along with other military cities such as the northern city of Briggs (ブリッグズ Burigguzu). Towns featured include Resembool (リゼンブール Rizenbūru), the rural hometown of the Elrics; Liore (リオール Riōru), a city tricked to follow a religion; Rush Valley (ラッシュバレー Rasshu Barē), a town that specializes in automail manufacturing; and Ishbal, a conservative-religion region that rejects alchemy and was destroyed in the Ishbalan Civil War instigated after a soldier (actually the homunculus Envy) shot an Ishbalan child. Outside of Amestris, there are few named countries, and none are seen in the main story. The main foreign country is Xing. Heavily reminiscent of China, Xing has a complex system of clans and emperors, as opposed to Amestris's government-controlled election of a Fuhrer. It also has its own system of alchemy, called Alkahestry (錬丹術 Rentanjutsu), which is more medical and can be bi-located using kunai; in turn, it is implied that all countries have different forms of alchemy.

Samurai Champloo " +18 i think "

A young woman named Fuu is working as a waitress in a tea shop when she is abused by a band of samurai. She is saved by a mysterious rogue named Mugen and a young rōnin named Jin. Mugen attacks Jin after he proves to be a worthy opponent. The pair begin fighting one another and inadvertently cause the death of Shibui Tomonoshina, the magistrate's son. For this crime, they are to be executed. With help from Fuu, they are able to escape execution. In return, Fuu asks them to travel with her to find "the samurai who smells of sunflowers".
The topics of sex and sexual orientation are shown multiple times in Samurai Champloo. One topic that is frequently shown regarding sexuality is the use of brothels and prostitution. Brothels are seen in multiple episodes and are significant to the plot. The show includes Yakuza brothel ownership, characters being sold into prostitution, and other issues regarding the subject. Another topic in the show is homosexuality, with one episode revolving around a homosexual Dutchman. This episode makes the claim that Edo period Japan had liberal expressions of homosexuality that can most easily be compared to ancient Greece. The character Fuu can be seen as object of sexual desire, as one episode has her in being painted half-naked and is later nearly sold into the sex trade.

I Am a Hero "The best manga for me" +18

The story begins with Hideo Suzuki, a 35-year-old manga artist assistant, whose life seems to be stuck around his exhausting but low-paying job, unfulfilled dreams, strange hallucinations and unsatisfying relationships. He sees himself as a supporting character in his own life, and has low self-esteem, resulting in frustration.

One day, the world as Hideo knows it is shattered by the presence of a disease that turns people into homicidal maniacs, whose first instinct is to attack and devour the nearest human. Armed with only his sporting shotgun, he runs for his life, meeting strangers along the way. All the while, he and his companions struggle to stay alive, while questioning their moral choices.
1 x
8-) :ugeek: Clan Spetsnaz!

The Redeemer
Fighter
Fighter
Title: The Redeemer
SFD Alias: The Redeemer
Started SFD: ???
Post by The Redeemer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:09 pm

anyone excited about the new samurai jack show coming to toonami i know its not really an anime but still i think it is going to be a cool ending to the show.
0 x

Taikairama
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Taikairama » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:14 pm

The Redeemer wrote:anyone excited about the new samurai jack show coming to toonami i know its not really an anime but still i think it is going to be a cool ending to the show.
Samurai Jack will be too on Adult Swim (I'm excited too :P )
0 x

Rubber
Fighter
Fighter
Title: Experimental Map Maker...?
SFD Account: Rubbla Bubbla
SFD Alias: @Rubber
Started SFD: First versions of SFD

Post by Rubber » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:23 pm

The Danganronpa series is great.
Don't watch the anime tho. Play the visual novels. They're much better and longer than the watered-down anime version.
0 x
Here's what I do:
  • Give bad advice
  • Criticise people's maps in an unnecessary way
  • Spam pictures in tutorials
  • Write walls of text
  • Incoherently open a server
  • Make too complex gamemodes

Lunatic
Title: I hope Klipeh bans himself
SFD Alias: (LM) Lunatic
Started SFD: 1.0.5 Pre-Alpha

Post by Lunatic » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:07 am

Just finished watching Spice and Wolf. Good show if you like a slow-moving plot with good romantic buildup.

That said, the anime only follows books 1-3 and 5 of the light novels, skipping the fourth book and ending at that. Considering there are more light novels, I'll be backtracking to book 4 and then reading all the novels. There are 14.
1 x
Originally posted by Gurt
SFD BADASS! 8-)

Rhodes
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: I am Rhodes!
SFD Account: Rhodes
SFD Alias: Rhodes
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Rhodes » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:25 am

My fave anime is dbz/super. Just saying. Which is why I love Xhomie's mod.
0 x
IF YOU PLAY SFD I'M COMING AFTER YOU!!

Taikairama
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Taikairama » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 pm

I watched the Mob Psycho 100 anime, just have 12 chapters so I'm reading right now the manga, both of 'em are really good.
1 x

Noble
Title: Modest guy
SFD Alias: Best player
Post by Noble » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:31 am

Doupo Cangqiong and Tales of Demons and Gods are awesome manhuas, I've ended reading the translated stuff of TDG light novel and I really liked it.
Last edited by Noble on Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
When I was 22 I read this book
And I swore
"I'll stay my way, I'll stay my way"

Cider
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Cider » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:34 am

I've been into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for nearly a year now and I don't know why I haven't started this much, much sooner. I don't mean to make this series sound bigger than it should be, but I'm not overreacting when I say this Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is unmistakably one of the best anime to come out this decade, if not arguably the best so far. I'm not here to write a review or anything of that sort, there's honestly WAAY too much to cover for a quick review and no easy way to make it spoiler free, so I'm going to drop links to start anyone off who's interested in watching or reading this series.

I'd recommend anyone who's new to start off with the 2012 anime, which contains the first two parts Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. After you finish that move straight on to Stardust Crusaders anime adaptation, which is split up into two seasons and is the most iconic part of Jojo. The manga for the first 3 parts are officially translated and released to the US as far as I know, but for the sake of quality I'd recommend watching them and maybe reading them afterwards, but any way you experience it is your pick.
After those 3, move onto the 4th part, Diamond is Unbreakable, which was finished last year. I recommend you catch up before the 5th part, Vento Aureo, is announced and released, cause it's going to be pretty big considering part 5 was Japan's favorite part, so they're going all out for it. If you can't wait for it to be animated like I couldn't, then you can read it instead. Unlike the last few parts, the quality is incredibly good from part 5 and on. I'll post the manga links below.
Vento Aureo
Stone Ocean
Steel Ball Run
Jojolion
1 x
Hidden Content

DreTheGamer
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: Big Waves
Started SFD: December 2014

Post by DreTheGamer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:23 pm

Samurai Champloo is a great anime in my opinion, being that it had one of the best mixers/producers out there of all time making the music. It had a nice plot too, even if it was like....only 27 episodes.
Too bad Nujabes died. Other than that, it had a nice story going and I really like the character Mugen being that most of his moves revolve around break dancing..which is what I really need to do too.
Besides all of this, if you haven't watched the show already I highly recommend that you do so. It's REALLY good.
http://geekandsundry.com/samurai-champl ... follow-up/
http://imgur.com/YzhiMnO
1 x

Evilsack
Superfighter
Superfighter
Title: you make me sick.
SFD Account: Evilsack
Started SFD: Pre-Alpha 1.2.1

Post by Evilsack » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:48 pm

I'm not sure who would win in a fight. Ichigo or Naruto? Although Naruto is more experienced, Ichigo is just more *powerful* in terms of lethal attacks.
0 x
-Evilsack

Cider
Superfighter
Superfighter

Post by Cider » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:44 am

What is the best anime of this year and why is it Boku no Hero Academia
0 x
Hidden Content

Pricey
Superfighter
Superfighter
SFD Alias: (LM) Pricey
Started SFD: August 2015

Post by Pricey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 pm

nichijou was a good anime
1 x